The Student Room Group

Opinions on Southampton Nightlife?

I'm applying for comp sci at a few unis, think Birmingham is my favourite right now mainly because it ranks 4th on the guardian and is said to have a pretty good nightlife from what I understand (feel free to comment on that). However the facilities at Southampton for the subject were amazing at the open day and despite it ranking lower with the same entry requirements I'm seriously considering it.

My main concern is that a couple friends of mine from Southampton told me the nightlife was dire. From what I can see in other TSR threads this doesn't quite add up so was wondering, could someone give me an honest opinion about the nightlife in Southampton? I'm mostly bothered about clubbing and I prefer the kind of places that play a lot of deep house etc. less bothered about bars but obviously there's places like Yates that are always good for pres, that sort of thing.

Also if anyone has any comments about the nightlife at any of my other choices, I'd welcome them.

Birmingham, Southampton, Durham, Surrey and Newcastle.
Original post by cainy393
I'm applying for comp sci at a few unis, think Birmingham is my favourite right now mainly because it ranks 4th on the guardian and is said to have a pretty good nightlife from what I understand (feel free to comment on that). However the facilities at Southampton for the subject were amazing at the open day and despite it ranking lower with the same entry requirements I'm seriously considering it.

My main concern is that a couple friends of mine from Southampton told me the nightlife was dire. From what I can see in other TSR threads this doesn't quite add up so was wondering, could someone give me an honest opinion about the nightlife in Southampton? I'm mostly bothered about clubbing and I prefer the kind of places that play a lot of deep house etc. less bothered about bars but obviously there's places like Yates that are always good for pres, that sort of thing.

Also if anyone has any comments about the nightlife at any of my other choices, I'd welcome them.

Birmingham, Southampton, Durham, Surrey and Newcastle.

Hi there,

With University of Southampton's night-life, you're situated within Portswood - which is the outskirts of Southampton, it means a taxi/bus journey into central Southampton but there are a lot of pubs around Portswood - but not really deep house hot spots. However, central Southampton there are a lot of clubs that do play deep house.

We have a few clubs that have particular nights of house but normally it's more a mix of different genres. The particular house events will be advertised near the time - at both Southampton based universities. It may be a little further out than what you'd get at the other uni's but there is a constant bus service (which I believe you have a free bus pass in your first year) and regular taxi's (it's like a 40 minute walk to the uni).

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Southampton Solent Uni Student Ambassador
Hi there,

With University of Southampton's night-life, you're situated within Portswood - which is the outskirts of Southampton, it means a taxi/bus journey into central Southampton but there are a lot of pubs around Portswood - but not really deep house hot spots. However, central Southampton there are a lot of clubs that do play deep house.

We have a few clubs that have particular nights of house but normally it's more a mix of different genres. The particular house events will be advertised near the time - at both Southampton based universities. It may be a little further out than what you'd get at the other uni's but there is a constant bus service (which I believe you have a free bus pass in your first year) and regular taxi's (it's like a 40 minute walk to the uni).

I hope this helps!

Thats a lot more helpful than I was expecting, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest