The Student Room Group

Final year assessment: Poster presentation

So, I'm studying hospitality management, and I have a poster presentation for my final year.

It's worth 15 credits, and I believe there is no way of getting an amazing mark.

I.e. They say not to have too much info, as it's a poster BUT I need to critically analyse marketing through product, price, place, promotion, people, process and physical evidence (Just the 7 p's of marketing).

I either get marked down for writing too much (as I need to critically analyse) or marked down for writing too little (as it's a poster and has to not have too much info).

I think it is bad that they make us do this, as there is no chance of getting 80+ for something like this.

What do you think?
Poster presentations tend to be info.-heavy, but can provide an opportunity to visualise your material in interesting way. Find out exactly how the marks are allocated, what criteria, and hit those marks ruthlessly. Have they shown you an example of one that scored well?
Original post by DrSocSciences
Poster presentations tend to be info.-heavy, but can provide an opportunity to visualise your material in interesting way. Find out exactly how the marks are allocated, what criteria, and hit those marks ruthlessly. Have they shown you an example of one that scored well?

It's the first year of the module, and she just showed us what too much looks like, and one which too little looks like. - All lecturers say the same, but obviously it's near impossible to get the balance stop on.

50% weighting is for content, and 20% is visuals, so of course I will write everything I need without going OTT, and add colour and a few images and graphs, but still don't think it's a fair way of marking. I want to see one which has got 90%+, but in the 3 years, there hasn't been any!

I've got 95% for content before, then 60% for visual (as too much content), then the next time 90% for visuals, and 60% for content...

Great coming from the number 1 uni for Hospitality! aha
Original post by james_smith9555
It's the first year of the module, and she just showed us what too much looks like, and one which too little looks like. - All lecturers say the same, but obviously it's near impossible to get the balance stop on.

50% weighting is for content, and 20% is visuals, so of course I will write everything I need without going OTT, and add colour and a few images and graphs, but still don't think it's a fair way of marking. I want to see one which has got 90%+, but in the 3 years, there hasn't been any!

I've got 95% for content before, then 60% for visual (as too much content), then the next time 90% for visuals, and 60% for content...

Great coming from the number 1 uni for Hospitality! aha

I never realised that Art direction played such a critical role in Hospitality. It all sounds a bit erratic. What I suggest you do is to follow professional practice: work up an early plan, discuss it as work in progress with whoever is going to mark it, take on board the feedback and finesse. That way you can eliminate the guesswork.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending