Turn on thread page Beta

GCSE AQA Geography Coursework help. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA Geography A on rivers.
    Everyone in my class who's aiming for an A* seems to have 6000-7000 words and a lot of detail.
    I've got 4500 and much less. I've done evaluations and analysis but I don't know what else I'm meant to be doing in order to boost the level of my work.
    I have 6 hours left on it and I've done 29 pages....
    I know this isn't that helpful...
    But does anyone know what I could include in order to get an A*?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you've posted this on the wrong section and secondly, DON'T aim for loads of words. I've just done my GCSE coursework for for geography AQA and my teacher told me that the exam board has a limit of around 2000 words. If you're still not sure go check on the AQA website or ask your teacher. The aim to getting that A* is to be as concise as possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noor.m)
    Firstly, you've posted this on the wrong section and secondly, DON'T aim for loads of words. I've just done my GCSE coursework for for geography AQA and my teacher told me that the exam board has a limit of around 2000 words. If you're still not sure go check on the AQA website or ask your teacher. The aim to getting that A* is to be as concise as possible
    Our limit is 2000 words - but no one's doing 2000 words - the A-A* people are doing 4000+ and everyone else has done 1500 ish...
    We were told that anything put in boxes doesn't count towards our word limit so that's what we're doing and I checked with the year aboves - anyone who got an A* did 5500+
    I tried the AQA website... but I didn't find it that helpful.

ReputationRep:
    Your word count isn't going to contribute to anything, trust me. Don't focus on the word count if you're not exceeding the limit just focus on the actual work and good luck! I hope you get the grade you wanted in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noor.m)
    Your word count isn't going to contribute to anything, trust me. Don't focus on the word count if you're not exceeding the limit just focus on the actual work and good luck! I hope you get the grade you wanted in the end
    I'm exceeding the limit by far.....Thanks!Same with you

ReputationRep:
    I was told by the Controlled assessment adviser for AQA B, which maybe very different, that it is the time that matters. The B syllabus has 2 pieces of CA. My class have finished it all, my A* students have 2500 words for the longer pieces and about 1000 for the shorter piece, they are well over the proscribed word count.

My suggestion is ask for the mark scheme, or download from AQA website, there is clear guidance on that as to what is required. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    6000-7000 words?!

We were told that the word limit given by the exam board was only 2000 (but if they don't mind if you write maybe 2000-4000ish).

We were also given a booklet guide thingy by the fieldwork centre which said what you needed to include in the sections to get the marks- I don't think it's the word count that matters, its more whether you've included all the things

ReputationRep:
    See the attached mark scheme and guidance.

It was on eAQA so you can't get hold of it!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf AQA-90303-W-CAT-2016-v1.0.pdf (74.8 KB, 299 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Lloyd)
    See the attached mark scheme and guidance.

It was on eAQA so you can't get hold of it!
    Thanks so much!
    I think Geography A and Geography B are quite a bit different - We only have one "Piece".

(Original post by Pronged Lily)
    6000-7000 words?!

We were told that the word limit given by the exam board was only 2000 (but if they don't mind if you write maybe 2000-4000ish).

We were also given a booklet guide thingy by the fieldwork centre which said what you needed to include in the sections to get the marks- I don't think it's the word count that matters, its more whether you've included all the things
    Everyone in the class who is aiming for a B or lower has done around 2000 words or less.... We just put everything in boxes so "it doesn't count". I hope I've done everything....
    Only 2 hours remaining!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwishicouldfly14)
    Thanks so much!
    I think Geography A and Geography B are quite a bit different - We only have one "Piece".

Everyone in the class who is aiming for a B or lower has done around 2000 words or less.... We just put everything in boxes so "it doesn't count". I hope I've done everything....
    Only 2 hours remaining!
    We were just told that the examiners don't really care as long as you don't go over "too much", whatever that means xD
    We have 30mins remaining

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    We were just told that the examiners don't really care as long as you don't go over "too much", whatever that means xD
    We have 30mins remaining

Good luck
    Wait...
    But the examiners don't mark it... the teachers do, and they for sure won't care if we go over too much (well they will care, but only because they'll be really bored)
    GL!

ReputationRep:
    Wait...
    But the examiners don't mark it... the teachers do, and they for sure won't care if we go over too much (well they will care, but only because they'll be really bored)
    GL!
    I think the examiners pick one or two to look over and check teachers are marking fairly or something

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in my class who's aiming for an A* seems to have 6000-7000 words and a lot of detail.
    I've got 4500 and much less. I've done evaluations and analysis but I don't know what else I'm meant to be doing in order to boost the level of my work.
    Aww I wish I could help you, but we chose not to do rivers. I sincerely wish I could help you. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I think the examiners pick one or two to look over and check teachers are marking fairly or something
    I forgot about that... Well there's a 1 in 45-50 chance I'll be picked... Let's hope the odds are forever in my favour.

(Original post by Ferdowcey Rahman)
    Aww I wish I could help you, but we chose not to do rivers. I sincerely wish I could help you. Good luck
    Do you (as a student) get to chose what to do it on?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I did AQA GCSE Geography last year and got full marks on the coursework which we also did on rivers. You really do not need that many words, our teacher in fact told us against doing that and we had a maximum of 2000 which was actually very difficult.
    Have you got a copy of the specification for the coursework? Make sure you go over everything.
    Also have loads of graphs and link everyone of them to what you are doing.I think you need two 'complex' graphs, e.g. something with spearman's ranking and a 'box and whisker' plot (I can't really remember it that well?). Include pictures as well and make sure you label them. Also you need to have a bibliography i think as well and label all of the Figures correctly. If you have any more questions PM me

ReputationRep:
    I forgot about that... Well there's a 1 in 45-50 chance I'll be picked... Let's hope the odds are forever in my favour.

Do you (as a student) get to chose what to do it on?
    oh, no. the teachers choose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangeee22)
    Hi I did AQA GCSE Geography last year and got full marks on the coursework which we also did on rivers. You really do not need that many words, our teacher in fact told us against doing that and we had a maximum of 2000 which was actually very difficult.
    Have you got a copy of the specification for the coursework? Make sure you go over everything.
    Also have loads of graphs and link everyone of them to what you are doing.I think you need two 'complex' graphs, e.g. something with spearman's ranking and a 'box and whisker' plot (I can't really remember it that well?). Include pictures as well and make sure you label them. Also you need to have a bibliography i think as well and label all of the Figures correctly. If you have any more questions PM me
    Congratulations!
    We aren't given a spec.... the teacher gave us some random sheets - and I have no idea hwat they are. I've got loads of graphs... but no compex ones - I'll add a couple in - I haven't got round to my bibliography yet
    Thanks!!!

oh, no. the teachers choose.
    Ahh... what are you doing it on?

Guys..... I can breathe - I was off sick for 2 lessons so I have 4 hours left. Everything's fine. For now.

ReputationRep:
    All my coursework was hand written so I dont know my word count but I think what got an A* (56/60) for me was the amount of data formats I used (different graphs etc) because this gave me more to draw from when writing the evaluations

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!
    We aren't given a spec.... the teacher gave us some random sheets - and I have no idea hwat they are. I've got loads of graphs... but no compex ones - I'll add a couple in - I haven't got round to my bibliography yet
    Thanks!!!

Ahh... what are you doing it on?

Guys..... I can breathe - I was off sick for 2 lessons so I have 4 hours left. Everything's fine. For now.
    Our coursework was about land zones and their zones and how each area changes as you go out to the rural/ urban fringe from the town centre.
    The topics that we study are: 1) restless earth
    2) Water on the land - haven't done that yet
    3) the coastal zone
    4)population change
    5)changing urban environments - currently on this one
    6)tourism

ReputationRep:
    Our coursework was about land zones and their zones and how each area changes as you go out to the rural/ urban fringe from the town centre.
    The topics that we study are: 1) restless earth
    2) Water on the land - haven't done that yet
    3) the coastal zone
    4)population change
    5)changing urban environments - currently on this one
    6)tourism
    So we do our CA on rivers,
    - Restless earth
    - Water on land
    - Urban environments
    - Tourism
    - Something I can't remember - Though I feel like we spent 5 or 6 months on it
    - And something we haven't been told yet - All I know is it isn't Ice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 8, 2015
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.