The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Additional Further Maths Info?

I'm wondering how the shifting around of modules works, as I want to know what I need to achieve as a minimum (helps with my worrying lmao)!

Here are all the modules I'm doing/ have done:
C1 - 98
C2 - 95
S1 - 96
FP1 - 90
M1 - 92
M2 - 91

FP2
S2
D2
C3
C4
D1
FP3
M3
S3

So I'm wondering, in order to get A*A* (Maths, FM - both A2) and an A in Additional Further Maths AS (Imperial want me to get that xD):
- Does Add.F.Maths AS HAVE to consist of FP3, M3 and S3?
Could I for example, since I already have >90 in an A2 module (M2), assuming I can get over 90 in all exams this year (ignoring FP3, S3, M3), get something like 70 in FP3 and it then swap FP3 with say D2 and I still get my FM A* but D2 goes towards my Additional Further Maths AS UMS?

Thank you in advance!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
A-Level Maths: must include C1, C2, C3, C4 and one of the following combinations: M1 S1, M1 M2, S1 S2, D1 S1, D1 D2, D1 M1. To get an A* you need 480/600 overall including at least 180/200 from C3 and C4.

A-Level Further Maths: must include FP1, the best result out of FP2 and FP3, and four other modules not already used in regular maths A-level. To get an A* you need 480/600 overall, and at least 270/300 from the best three A2 modules.

AS-Level Additional Further Maths: The three remaning modules. To get an A you need 240/300 overall.

So, in the example you gave, you would have C1-C2-C3-C4-S1-S2 (say) in Maths, FP1-FP2-FP3-M1-M2-D1 in Further Maths (the only A2 modules here are FP2, FP3, M2 so they need to average 90% for A*) and then D2-S3-M3 in Additional Further Maths.

All this information is in the specification on the OCR website, it does get quite confusing though when you have a lot of modules!
Original post by marioman
A-Level Maths: must include C1, C2, C3, C4 and one of the following combinations: M1 S1, M1 M2, S1 S2, D1 S1, D1 D2, D1 M1. To get an A* you need 480/600 overall including at least 180/200 from C3 and C4.

A-Level Further Maths: must include FP1, the best result out of FP2 and FP3, and four other modules not already used in regular maths A-level. To get an A* you need 480/600 overall, and at least 270/300 from the best three A2 modules.

AS-Level Additional Further Maths: The three remaning modules. To get an A you need 240/300 overall.

So, in the example you gave, you would have C1-C2-C3-C4-S1-S2 (say) in Maths, FP1-FP2-FP3-M1-M2-D1 in Further Maths (the only A2 modules here are FP2, FP3, M2 so they need to average 90% for A*) and then D2-S3-M3 in Additional Further Maths.

All this information is in the specification on the OCR website, it does get quite confusing though when you have a lot of modules!

Thank you! Yes but you've explained it much better.

So essentially, any two from M2,M3,S2,S3,D2,FP3 will need to cover the A* in FM (obviously as well as FP2) and then three others will go to additional Further Maths. Will the worst 3 then go to Additional Further Maths, or will they try to shuffle them around to maximise my grades?

Like could something seemingly random like this occur:
Maths - C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,S3(doing badly in S3 but not that bad so still A*)
Further Maths - FP1,FP2,D2,S1,S2,FP3(again doing badly in FP3 but not too bad, and the FP2,D2 and S2 get me my A*)
So that:
Additional Further Maths - M3,M2,D1 (which averages to an A)

Is this combination theoretically possible?

I'm just trying to understand it properly. So I actually have grades to aim for other than just to simply try my best. I've found actual numerical aims really help me for some subconscious reason lol.

Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by ComputerMaths97
So essentially, any two from M2,M3,S2,S3,D2,FP3 will need to cover the A* in FM (obviously as well as FP2) and then three others will go to additional Further Maths. Will the worst 3 then go to Additional Further Maths, or will they try to shuffle them around to maximise my grades?

Pretty much. The modules are arranged with the following priorities: 1) Highest possible grade in maths, 2) Highest possible grade in FM, 3) Highest possible grade in AFM, 4) Highest possible UMS in each A2/AS. So if your module results can be arranged to make A*A*a then you will definitely get that.

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Like could something seemingly random like this occur:
Maths - C1,C2,C3,C4,M1,S3(doing badly in S3 but not that bad so still A*)
Further Maths - FP1,FP2,D2,S1,S2,FP3(again doing badly in FP3 but not too bad, and the FP2,D2 and S2 get me my A*)
So that:
Additional Further Maths - M3,M2,D1 (which averages to an A)

S3 cannot be used in regular maths. The only allowed combinations are C1-C4 plus one of:
M1 S1
M1 D1
S1 D1
S1 S2
M1 M2
D1 D2

The rest of it looks OK though. Getting an A* from FP2, S2 and D2 is (I think) the most common combination at my college.
Original post by marioman
Pretty much. The modules are arranged with the following priorities: 1) Highest possible grade in maths, 2) Highest possible grade in FM, 3) Highest possible grade in AFM, 4) Highest possible UMS in each A2/AS. So if your module results can be arranged to make A*A*a then you will definitely get that.

S3 cannot be used in regular maths. The only allowed combinations are C1-C4 plus one of:
M1 S1
M1 D1
S1 D1
S1 S2
M1 M2
D1 D2

The rest of it looks OK though. Getting an A* from FP2, S2 and D2 is (I think) the most common combination at my college.

Excellent help, thank you very much!

Yeah I hope to be able to get the A* from them 3, but I already have a 91 in M2 so I'm hoping that will help towards my Additional Further Maths A :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest