What books should I read if I want to do Aeronautical engineering at university?

Watch
Superhornet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am a year 12 student, I am very interested in Aeroplanes, and it's been my dream to design aeroplanes. For extracurricular activity, I would like to do something which is related to aeronautical engineering, best is to read engineering books, and do a lot of maths. I don't know if engineering/mathematical books are more beneficial or Aeroplane related books such as "the science of flight" is more beneficial.
If so, what sort of books do you recommend that is my level to understand?
BTW I am doing IB higher Maths and physics at school.
Thanks
University of Glasgow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Superhornet)
If so, what sort of books do you recommend that is my level to understand?
Thanks
Hey!

I'm currently in my 4th year of Aeronautical Engineering at the University of Glasgow, so I can try and give some insight into this.

Most universities will typically be very maths intensive for the first year or two, so a solid understanding of maths is a must. Effectively, they want to teach you most of the mathematical techniques you'll need to be an engineer as soon as possible. As for books, getting a hold of a good Engineering Mathematics book will stand you in good stead as you'll definitely be coming across plenty of it.

For something Aero-related, there are an unbelievable amount of books out there. Aeronautical Engineering covers many different fields: Structural Analysis, Aerodynamics, Aircraft Systems, Performance, Aircraft Handling and Control, Propulsion, Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics and CFD, Navigation Systems, programming in MATLAB/C++/other, and the list goes on and on.

Finding a general book can be good as it will give you a brief overview of what the different fields are like and what work is done in each field. The only thing I've come across which seems pretty universal across most Engineering schools is the use of MATLAB or some similar programming language. MATLAB is used for coding and analysis, it's a very powerful tool and I've used it every year, even for research out-with my degree. Of course, what is taught at each university differs, but it can be very worthwhile to learn.

As for me, propulsion (particularly in rocketry) is what interests me the most.

If there's anything we can help with, please let us know!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
Aeronautical Engineering - School of Engineering
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (513)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.28%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (310)
20.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.54%

Watched Threads