Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've come to the conclusion that my diet is... well, poor. today my meals were typical:

no breakfast
    lunch comprising of tomato, pasta and cheese bake and quorn chicken fillets in tomato sauce followed by a time out bar
    dinner of half a cheese and onion quiche followed by a couple of mini rolls

yesterday i had:

no breakfast
    lunch of a four cheese pizza
    dinner of two packets of curry flavour noodles

i drink an awful lot of fizzy drinks too. i've preferred water recently though. i'm vegetarian which makes my diet all the more difficult. and the thing is, i'm really picky about my food. i hate most vegetables bar carrots, potatoes, leeks, cauliflower, brocoli and spinach. i already have a narrow diet thanks to my vegetarianism and there's no way i'm going back to meat just so i can be healthy. i don't want to take any supplements because i think i can get all my nutrients from a good diet, but with such a limited taste, it's becoming more and more difficult. i like trying new things but they often come with food i hate like mushrooms and courgettes.

does anyone have any ideas of what i could do to improve my diet? or any recipes? i just feel like i'm going to waste away soon!

ReputationRep:
    go into a really cheap bookshop or your library and get a couple of healthy eating cookbooks- my dad has been following this, he's jus been eating healthily and he's lost over a stone in a month (no idea how)... but the rest of us have not lost a pound :rolleyes:

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    <gasps>

yes yes you must cut out the fizzzzzzz

SEVEN TEASPOOOOOOONS OF SUGAR.... this is why i gave up on that. scares me. but then you can mind me, becuase i am a calorificmaniac.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    go into a really cheap bookshop or your library and get a couple of healthy eating cookbooks- my dad has been following this, he's jus been eating healthily and he's lost over a stone in a month (no idea how)... but the rest of us have not lost a pound :rolleyes:

lou xxx
    i don't want to lose any weight! i'm too thin already! hence me wanting to improve my diet so i don't waste away!

i've looked in recipe books but they all seem full of complicated recipes made with things i've never heard of

ReputationRep:
    Try juice instead of fizzy stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian too, I hate vegetables too. Well not hate, just they don't taste nice but I eat them occassionally.

You have to eat well. You will as everyone always says notice the effects on the inside and outside, and of course it will help prevent illness for now and later on.

Cut out fizzy drinks, the sugar is really bad for your teeth. Replace with water and fruit juices (which count as 1 portion of fruit).

Have 5 portions of fruit and vegetables. Eat calcium and protien rich foods, seeing as you'll probably lacking getting this from your meat, this is a must! Have cereals in the morning for brain power and so you don't get too hungry and snack. And just eat generally healthy foods such as brown bread, pasta etc.

Providing you are relatively slim you can then eat what you wish, if you fancy a packet of crips or chips but don't over do it.

Seriously you'll feel much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    i've come to the conclusion that my diet is... well, poor. today my meals were typical:

no breakfast
    lunch comprising of tomato, pasta and cheese bake and quorn chicken fillets in tomato sauce followed by a time out bar
    dinner of half a cheese and onion quiche followed by a couple of mini rolls

yesterday i had:

no breakfast
    lunch of a four cheese pizza
    dinner of two packets of curry flavour noodles

i drink an awful lot of fizzy drinks too. i've preferred water recently though. i'm vegetarian which makes my diet all the more difficult. and the thing is, i'm really picky about my food. i hate most vegetables bar carrots, potatoes, leeks, cauliflower, brocoli and spinach. i already have a narrow diet thanks to my vegetarianism and there's no way i'm going back to meat just so i can be healthy. i don't want to take any supplements because i think i can get all my nutrients from a good diet, but with such a limited taste, it's becoming more and more difficult. i like trying new things but they often come with food i hate like mushrooms and courgettes.

does anyone have any ideas of what i could do to improve my diet? or any recipes? i just feel like i'm going to waste away soon!
    try my favourate food chessy mash and brown saurce, or how adout sum yorkshire puddings filled with mashed veg + gravy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    I'm a vegetarian too, I hate vegetables too.
    Hehehe! That's one of the best things I've read today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Hehehe! That's one of the best things I've read today!
    LOL, why is it? What is the link between not eating meat and liking vegetables? You do not have to eat either to survive!

ReputationRep:
    LOL, why is it? What is the link between not eating meat and liking vegetables? You do not have to eat either to survive!
    then what would u eat

ReputationRep:
    i know, mum said the whole point of being vegetarian was to eat vegetables! :rolleyes: i just hate the taste of most of them

i do try and get in 5 portions a day but i like so few of them that i really do struggle..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tonka)
    then what would u eat
    Dairy, carbohydrates, vegetarian meat supliments, fatty shite and things which you cannot taste vegetables in. I can tolerate them though.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the thought of a vegetarian not liking vegetables. You must hate meat more, if vegetarianism is optional for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    i know, mum said the whole point of being vegetarian was to eat vegetables! :rolleyes: i just hate the taste of most of them

i do try and get in 5 portions a day but i like so few of them that i really do struggle..
    I get that too "How can you call yourself a vegetarian if you don't like this. Carrots are the best things for you", bleh bleh. It's 'cause of the veg thing which they link to liking vegetables. :rolleyes:

Fruit juices then, they are a quick an easy portion. Surely you like them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    It's just the thought of a vegetarian not liking vegetables. You must hate meat more, if vegetarianism is optional for you.
    I know it's an odd thought! And another "have you ever seen a fat vegetarian?". I don't hate either really, I just like to eat only things that taste nice. But I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike the taste of meat.

ReputationRep:
    Switching to juice is not a good idea, a) because the reason it tastes so damn good is because of the sugar in it, its fructose not glucose. b) cos it raises the acidity levels in your body.

You should drink in fluid ounces, half your body weight in pounds, of water a day minimum.

And diet so you dont like vegetables but you are a vegetarian. I dont know what type of vegetarian you are, but if you can eat fish, then eat it. If you dont like oily fish then eat freshwater or white fish. Salmon is good too.

There are lots of ways of making your vegetables more attractive and if you play around, fry stuff, like peppers and onions its good.

Oh yeah and breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day. Breakfast like a king and supper like a pauper as your body uses calories through the day not through the night.

ReputationRep:
    This is my typical diet

1) Toast for breakfast
    2) A Greggs sussage roll for dinner
    3) Pasta and source as a snack
    4) A few chocolate biscuits etc
    5) A healthy tea
    6) Crisps biscuits for supa
    7)1 litre of coke a day
    8) 500ml of fruit juice
    9) 1 litre of squash

I am not at all healthy.

ReputationRep:
    I know it's an odd thought! And another "have you ever seen a fat vegetarian?". I don't hate either really, I just like to eat only things that taste nice. But I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike the taste of meat.
    I'm the same! I'm a vegetarian, and i like some vegetables, but some are just so bland, and being a veggie doesn't automatically mean i like them! I love stuff like quorn and the carbohydrate based things such as yorkshire puddings

ReputationRep:
    Errr, simple solution, eat properly. Meat and vegetables. The amount of vegetarians that are around these days is a joke. Lots of people just jump on the vegetarian bandwagon as well..

ReputationRep:
    Why then? Because animals get killed? Animals get killed all the time, get over it, its been happening for millions of years. Jesus

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.