Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Why then? Because animals get killed? Animals get killed all the time, get over it, its been happening for millions of years. Jesus
    Yey, someone sensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    i don't want to lose any weight! i'm too thin already! hence me wanting to improve my diet so i don't waste away!

i've looked in recipe books but they all seem full of complicated recipes made with things i've never heard of

well you having said that in my right mind you dont have the foggiest thign to worry about !

ReputationRep:
    i've come to the conclusion that my diet is... well, poor. today my meals were typical:

no breakfast
    lunch comprising of tomato, pasta and cheese bake and quorn chicken fillets in tomato sauce followed by a time out bar
    dinner of half a cheese and onion quiche followed by a couple of mini rolls

yesterday i had:

no breakfast
    lunch of a four cheese pizza
    dinner of two packets of curry flavour noodles

i drink an awful lot of fizzy drinks too. i've preferred water recently though. i'm vegetarian which makes my diet all the more difficult. and the thing is, i'm really picky about my food. i hate most vegetables bar carrots, potatoes, leeks, cauliflower, brocoli and spinach. i already have a narrow diet thanks to my vegetarianism and there's no way i'm going back to meat just so i can be healthy. i don't want to take any supplements because i think i can get all my nutrients from a good diet, but with such a limited taste, it's becoming more and more difficult. i like trying new things but they often come with food i hate like mushrooms and courgettes.

does anyone have any ideas of what i could do to improve my diet? or any recipes? i just feel like i'm going to waste away soon!
    I feel like that too! Today I have had..no breakfast, a cup of tea, with 2 sugars!, a salad roll, lots of fizzy orangeade, a ham salad tea, and.. breadsticks. Oh, and lots of choccie biccies. :rolleyes: I need healthy book, and so do you!

Remember the 8 healthy eating guidelines though. I remember those from GCSE Home Economics... oh, those were the days.

ReputationRep:
    hmm well, u seem quite picky like me when it comes to veg lol, a nice simple recipe my dad taught me is basic veg soup/ or stew...but for the soup you need garlic, half an onion, half a red/green whatever pepper, some tomatoe puree and a tin of tomatoes...and sum red wine...for added taste basically just chop it all up!, fry it in a little olive oil, add the puree, then the tinned tomatoes (or fresh..i'm just lazy lol) then the wine (up 2 u how much) and a little water!and either have it wiv pasta or chuck it in a blender and have it as a thick soup with some fresh bread.....ahhh lovey! i consider it healthy but ..whatever it tastes great..

ReputationRep:
    Why then? Because animals get killed? Animals get killed all the time, get over it, its been happening for millions of years. Jesus
    i don't eat meat because i think it's hypocritical to eat some animals but not others. the way animals are killed and the conditions they are kept in beforehand are truly awful, and has put me off meat for life.

ReputationRep:
    btw i've given up fizzy drinks too,its hard isn't it??lol they're just so dam addictive! but just have some apple/pure orange juice, water..or squash...or if u don't wana lose weight treat yourself to a banana smoothy or a vanillia hagendaz (haven't got a clue how u spell it)milkshake....owww..good stuff

ReputationRep:
    i do like orange juice tend to drink a lot of it in the summer. i've drunk loads of water today and i've found i'm starting to prefer it to fizzy drinks. plus i now feel guilty when i drink fizzy drinks after that sugar thing someone mentioned on this post! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, does no one listen to me, juices are as bad for you, they contain lots of sugar too, its just in different forms such as fructose. Plus they lead your diet towards acidic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSM)
    Jesus, does no one listen to me, juices are as bad for you, they contain lots of sugar too, its just in different forms such as fructose. Plus they lead your diet towards acidic.
    why do doctors recommend it then? sure if this is the case we should be avoiding all fruit?

ReputationRep:
    I've recently just being eating rubbish :/

all I've had today is a bit of pizza + garlic bread

ReputationRep:
    why do doctors recommend it then? sure if this is the case we should be avoiding all fruit?
    no, you shouldn't fruit, everything is good in moderation. But fruit juices are bad for you first thing in the morning, it leaves sugar on your teeth, check with ur dentist.

Doctors reccomend it because it is one of the best ways that you can get Vitamins without taking supplements.

ReputationRep:
    i don't eat meat because i think it's hypocritical to eat some animals but not others. the way animals are killed and the conditions they are kept in beforehand are truly awful, and has put me off meat for life.
    What animals do we/dont we eat that cause this hypocrisy then? The way the animals are killed? Theyre dead by the time they reach the supermarket, nothing can be done for them, if you dont eat them, someone else will. Sounds like youre just jumping on the bandwagon to me.

ReputationRep:
    also you shouldn't brush your teeth directly after eating fruit of drinking fuit juice or fizzy drinks because they soften your enamel on your teeth for a little while so brushing damages them, or something like that...

ReputationRep:
    What animals do we/dont we eat that cause this hypocrisy then? The way the animals are killed? Theyre dead by the time they reach the supermarket, nothing can be done for them, if you dont eat them, someone else will. Sounds like youre just jumping on the bandwagon to me.
    we don't eat tabby cats and golden labradors. neither do we eat goldfish or guinea pigs.

i'm not trying to say everyone should be a vegetarian. i don't care if someone eats the meat i'm not going to, and i'm not going to turn around and shout at them for it. it's a personal choice for me. i realised i couldn't face eating meat anymore, so i stopped, it's as simple as that.

i didn't intend this thread to become an argument about vegetarianism. i just wanted some advice as to how to better my diet.

ReputationRep:
    we don't eat tabby cats and golden labradors. neither do we eat goldfish or guinea pigs.

i'm not trying to say everyone should be a vegetarian. i don't care if someone eats the meat i'm not going to, and i'm not going to turn around and shout at them for it. it's a personal choice for me. i realised i couldn't face eating meat anymore, so i stopped, it's as simple as that.

i didn't intend this thread to become an argument about vegetarianism. i just wanted some advice as to how to better my diet.
    How to better it? I dont know where to begin, your diet is plain awful, the only thing youre heading for is illness with that. I can only suggest eating some real food before its too late.

ReputationRep:
    The way I see it if I have to give up alchohol, pepsi, coca-cola, and fruit juisces I may as well be dead anyway. Fruit juices must be healty in moderation because they contain so many vitamins, I would guess its only when you have too much it becomes a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Shut your mouth before questioning my eating habbits, since I don't question yours.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever thought that the taste makes some people physically sick? And that despite letting someone else eat them people cannot bring themseleves to eat them, so they are not doing it as a protest to stop everyone to eating them.

I don't care about the "if you don't eat them someone else will", or "this animal will become extinct arguments", so I can't be bothered to go into it.

ReputationRep:
    try looking for a quick vegetarian cookbook - go in and have a flick through lots, pr maybe a student one for some simple recipes. my sister is veggie and can't eat any yeast or sugar either, so her diet is even more complicated! she does lots of roasted vegetables, stuffed peppers, and she makes a great curry and biryani! eat lots of cheese for protein and find some meat substitutes like quorn and you could do stir fry? thats quick and easy! otherwise lots of pasta with different bits in? I'm trying to cut down on wheat because apparently it's making my hayfever worse, but its so hard because i've realised i virtually live on bread and toast!

ReputationRep:
    Errr, simple solution, eat properly. Meat and vegetables. The amount of vegetarians that are around these days is a joke. Lots of people just jump on the vegetarian bandwagon as well..
    why is it a joke? it's not hurting you that some people don't eat meat - surely more for us meat-eaters! on average, vegetarians live up to 10 years longer too!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.