Labour sweeps to victory in Oldham with increased vote share Watch

username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Over 62% of the vote and 10,800 more votes than UKIP. A 7% increase in vote share for labour.

Not bad considering many had predicted UKIP to significantly close the gap on labour or even win it.

Wider implications? Who knows, more relief than excitement for labour but it's a strong result and should bring a little bit of confidence back.

I wonder how Dan hodges will put a negative spin on this.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Waiting for Simon Danszuck to write a story in the Express about how Corbyn still did bad on this occasion.
username878267
Rep:
?
(Original post by James Milibanter)
Waiting for Simon Danszuck to write a story in the Express about how Corbyn still did bad on this occasion.
I'm waiting for all those who said that if Labour had lost it would be due to corbyn yet will claim that he had nothing to do with the increased vote share.

Posted from TSR Mobile
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
I'm waiting for all those who said that if Labour had lost it would be due to corbyn yet will claim that he had nothing to do with the increased vote share.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's an obvious one. So frustrating, I don't always agree with Corbyn, but the majority of the criticism is just downright appalling now.

I'm really not happy with Hillary Benn's speech it just feels that somebody, probably in the employ of Rupert Murdoch, just said to him, "Look, boy, toe the line, deliver THIS speech we've drafted for you, vote FOR the bombs, and we'll make you the next Labour Prime Minister. Or if you don't want to play ball, we'll just do the usual hatchet-job on you, and you'll be toast. 24 hours to make your mind up, Hillsy......"
emiloujess
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The BBC news app says, and I quote: "Labour wins Oldham West and Royton by-election with a reduced majority"...
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by emiloujess)
The BBC news app says, and I quote: "Labour wins Oldham West and Royton by-election with a reduced majority"...
Increased vote share (from 54.8% to 62.3%), but a lower majority (from 14,738 to 10,845).

Explained by the drop in voter turnout: from 59.6% (43,137) to 40.3% (27,819).
username878267
Rep:
?
(Original post by Illiberal Liberal)
Increased vote share (from 54.8% to 62.3%), but a lower majority (from 14,738 to 10,845).

Yes we know, but it's huge spin. Because it doesn't account for the fact that turnout was 1/3 lower.

Percentage is more important and the BBC should have led with 'labour increases vote share'.

So Corbyn has passed his first electoral test as leader. Who knows what it means but it probably secures his job at least until the May elections.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not exactly unbiased reporting considering almost 20k people didn't turnout to vote since the GE.
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Yes we know, but it's huge spin. Because it doesn't account for the fact that turnout was 1/3 lower.

Percentage is more important and the BBC should have led with 'labour increases vote share'.

So Corbyn has passed his first electoral test as leader. Who knows what it means but it probably secures his job at least until the May elections.
I was just giving the pure statistics.

FWIW, I agree with everything you've said.
Betelgeuse-
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
11,000 postal votes? lol
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Illiberal Liberal)

Ah right, thank you

Not exactly unbiased reporting considering almost 20k people didn't turnout to vote since the GE.
When did I say it was unbiased? I was confused and my confusion has been perfectly explained above.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

When did I say it was unbiased? I was confused and my confusion has been perfectly explained above.
I was only speculating on the BBC
SakuraCayla
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Woodcock will be on the TV at some point about what a great local candidate he is, and how Corbyn didn't factor into it at all.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kay_Winters)
Woodcock will be on the TV at some point about what a great local candidate he is, and how Corbyn didn't factor into it at all.
We can count on it.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The number of postal votes is just pathetic, but that's another story.

As someone from Oldham, though technically in the east constituency, I'm fully aware of the level of political apathy around here. We're at a point where no longer does the average (white) working class citizen bother to treck to their local polling station, whether it be a by-election or the main thing.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Great news! Bring on Labour 2020!
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
The number of postal votes is just pathetic, but that's another story.

As someone from Oldham, though technically in the east constituency, I'm fully aware of the level of political apathy around here. We're at a point where no longer does the average (white) working class citizen bother to treck to their local polling station, whether it be a by-election or the main thing.
Sorry but firstly, the postal votes thing is just sour grapes I'm afraid, and secondly, the UKIP mantra that only the white people's votes actually count is nothing but racist. Labour have been slammed over and over again because immigrants and foreigners tend to vote for them, but maybe that's because they'd rather vote for a party that preaches tolerance than one that preaches division and expresses racism.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
Great news! Bring on Labour 2020!
Dude, you're basically an AnCap.
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry but firstly, the postal votes thing is just sour grapes I'm afraid, and secondly, the UKIP mantra that only the white people's votes actually count is nothing but racist. Labour have been slammed over and over again because immigrants and foreigners tend to vote for them, but maybe that's because they'd rather vote for a party that preaches tolerance than one that preaches division and expresses racism.
I never said only white votes count, but I think it's sad that they've been alienated in the very nation that their ancestors have created.
James Milibanter
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
I never said only white votes count, but I think it's sad that they've been alienated in the very nation that their ancestors have created.
You're basically preaching white supremacy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (12)
6.42%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.16%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.11%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.43%
There's nothing they could do (54)
28.88%

Watched Threads