The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Too late to switch universities?

I've been debating with myself whether or not to try and transfer to another university. For a while I thought it best to just to tough it out but I'm very unhappy with a lot of things atm, uni related so I've decided to try and transfer to a different university come the end of the academic year. Is it too late to apply through ucas, start my PS and contact the unis I'm interested. Who do I speak to at my current university? Do I have to get references from all my module leaders or a few. I have only done two proper tests so far so how am I going to get predicted grades? I need help.
Original post by Kenshinhimura
I've been debating with myself whether or not to try and transfer to another university. For a while I thought it best to just to tough it out but I'm very unhappy with a lot of things atm, uni related so I've decided to try and transfer to a different university come the end of the academic year. Is it too late to apply through ucas, start my PS and contact the unis I'm interested. Who do I speak to at my current university? Do I have to get references from all my module leaders or a few. I have only done two proper tests so far so how am I going to get predicted grades? I need help.

I'm not entirely sure but I doubt transfers will require you to go through UCAS. UCAS is only for applying to start in the next academic year so you'd still either be at your current university for the rest of the year or at home. A transfer would probably be more difficult at this point in the year...

If you want to drop out and start at another university in 2016, that can be done through UCAS, although you would probably need a reference from your current academic overseers. I'm not too sure about predicted grades but, given that you're not on track to gain any qualifications at your current university, I'd imagine you'd apply with the latest qualifications you hold, namely your A Levels (or equivalent).

I suggest that you discuss this with your tutors/whoever deals with these things at your university. They'll be able to tell you what the exact process is and, with luck, you'll be able to make the UCAS deadline on 15 January for a start in autumn 2016. Also ask them if a transfer is possible; if yes, you'd then need to find universities that accept transfer students and query them regarding what their expectations are of transfer students.

On a somewhat unrelated note:

Spoiler

The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not entirely sure but I doubt transfers will require you to go through UCAS. UCAS is only for applying to start in the next academic year so you'd still either be at your current university for the rest of the year or at home. A transfer would probably be more difficult at this point in the year...

If you want to drop out and start at another university in 2016, that can be done through UCAS, although you would probably need a reference from your current academic overseers. I'm not too sure about predicted grades but, given that you're not on track to gain any qualifications at your current university, I'd imagine you'd apply with the latest qualifications you hold, namely your A Levels (or equivalent).

I suggest that you discuss this with your tutors/whoever deals with these things at your university. They'll be able to tell you what the exact process is and, with luck, you'll be able to make the UCAS deadline on 15 January for a start in autumn 2016. Also ask them if a transfer is possible; if yes, you'd then need to find universities that accept transfer students and query them regarding what their expectations are of transfer students.

On a somewhat unrelated note:

Spoiler

Hey thanks for the info, I've emailed a few universities already asking whether an application would be acceptable given I'm half way through my year. Just waiting for a reply. Haven't spoken to anyone at my university about it yet so yes that's probably the best thing to do so I guess I'll see what they say, hopefully it's good. And nope I'm not doing medicine, but thanks for letting me know anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending