The Student Room Group

Why do a PhD in humanities?

This is a debate I've been having with a lot of my friends who are currently reading degrees in subjects such as history and classics. I'm still divided on this topic but with academia becoming tougher to 'break into' and doctorates in humanities being relatively futile in getting a job outside of that (e.g. technology), what realistic reason is there to pursue it other than purely intellectual rigour?

I'm not being malicious or mean here but I am genuinely curious and I've been unable to find an answer that I think justifies it, from a non-academic career perspective.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you don't want to become an academic, having a Humanities PhD often gets you onto a shortlist for non-academic jobs.

It helps to know at the outset of your PhD that you want a non-academic career path, as you can then tailor your thesis to be of relevance to your preferred career.
Original post by DrSocSciences
If you don't want to become an academic, having a Humanities PhD often gets you onto a shortlist for non-academic jobs.

It helps to know at the outset of your PhD that you want a non-academic career path, as you can then tailor your thesis to be of relevance to your preferred career.

Mind providing some examples?
Original post by Aceadria
This is a debate I've been having with a lot of my friends who are currently reading degrees in subjects such as history and classics. I'm still divided on this topic but with academia becoming tougher to 'break into' and doctorates in humanities being relatively futile in getting a job outside of that (e.g. technology), what realistic reason is there to pursue it other than purely intellectual rigour?

I'm not being malicious or mean here but I am genuinely curious and I've been unable to find an answer that I think justifies it, from a non-academic career perspective.

If even for that, because of the debt/funding (I don't know how much it is to do a PhD but people usually find funding to do it). The main benefit is having access to university resources in order to research something. Otherwise quite a few resources can be obtained outside a uni.

I was interested in doing one but the funding, and the exclusive nature of the profession, has handed some foresight to me.
Original post by Aceadria
Mind providing some examples?

The Vitae website has a lot of data for post-doc career statistics
https://www.vitae.ac.uk/impact-and-evaluation/what-do-researchers-do/career-destinations-by-discipline-infographics-1/social-sciences-career-destinations-infographic

40% of post-docs in Social Sciences are employed outside academia.
37% of post-docs in Arts & Humanities are employed outside academia.

Worked for me, but I'm not disclosing more personal info.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TimeWalker
If even for that, because of the debt/funding (I don't know how much it is to do a PhD but people usually find funding to do it). The main benefit is having access to university resources in order to research something. Otherwise quite a few resources can be obtained outside a uni.

I was interested in doing one but the funding, and the exclusive nature of the profession, has handed some foresight to me.

Original post by DrSocSciences
The Vitae website has a lot of data for post-doc career statistics
https://www.vitae.ac.uk/impact-and-evaluation/what-do-researchers-do/career-destinations-by-discipline-infographics-1/social-sciences-career-destinations-infographic

Worked for me, but I'm not disclosing more personal info.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending