Dosage Calculations Watch

AndyC123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was wondering if anybody had a good link for where I could practice dosage calculations? I am trying to prepare for MMI interviews for medicine.

Many websites I have found are catered at nurses and require prior knowledge on drug levels. Are there any that lay it out more like an interview would?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AndyC123)
I was wondering if anybody had a good link for where I could practice dosage calculations? I am trying to prepare for MMI interviews for medicine.

Many websites I have found are catered at nurses and require prior knowledge on drug levels. Are there any that lay it out more like an interview would?

Interviews now require you to do drug calculations?!!
AndyC123
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
I believe it's a way of doing data analysis.

They'd provide you with a chunk of information on things like dosage:solution and dosage:weight ratios and then expect you to calculate the dosage required for a patient of particular age/gender/weight.
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
I had an MMI with a drug calculation station 4 years ago!
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's ridiculous, that's effectively testing mathematical ability - talk about overexamination. Are they going to expect you to fill in the blanks in a diagram of oxidative phosphorylation or make a diagnosis from a case vignette next? They test your mathematical ability at GCSE, at AS level, at A2 level, with the UKCAT and then again by asking you to do some maths at your interview? What's the point. Any evidence for this being a useful indicator up and above the other exams?
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
That's ridiculous, that's effectively testing mathematical ability - talk about overexamination. Are they going to expect you to fill in the blanks in a diagram of oxidative phosphorylation or make a diagnosis from a case vignette next? They test your mathematical ability at GCSE, at AS level, at A2 level, with the UKCAT and then again by asking you to do some maths at your interview? What's the point. Any evidence for this being a useful indicator up and above the other exams?
Although not medicine, they do have basic dose calculation questions in pharmacy interviews at Brighton, usually simple arithmetic questions like 'how much of ibuprofen would a patient take in a day in grams, if they were taking 400 mg of ibuprofen three times a day?

Simple stuff like basic multiplication, and then unit conversion, which doesn't require any previous pharmaceutical knowledge.
Tanishqa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AndyC123)

I've been looking for this too! Let me know of you find any website that explains dosage calculations well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
Although not medicine, they do have basic dose calculation questions in pharmacy interviews at Brighton, usually simple arithmetic questions like 'how much of ibuprofen would a patient take in a day in grams, if they were taking 400 mg of ibuprofen three times a day?

Simple stuff like basic multiplication, and then unit conversion, which doesn't require any previous pharmaceutical knowledge.
I assumed that dosage calculations formed a more significant part of your course than they do for ours, though.. at least, the pharmacy students and recently-qualified pharmacists I've met always seem to be much more switched on with that side of things than medical students and recently-qualified doctors I know.

I don't know what it's like for other medical schools, but for us, calculating dosages and learning how to write prescriptions is more or less self-taught, usually some time in the months before the Prescribing Skills Assessment.
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
I assumed that dosage calculations formed a more significant part of your course than they do for ours, though.. at least, the pharmacy students and recently-qualified pharmacists I've met always seem to be much more switched on with that side of things than medical students and recently-qualified doctors I know.

I don't know what it's like for other medical schools, but for us, calculating dosages and learning how to write prescriptions is more or less self-taught, usually some time in the months before the Prescribing Skills Assessment.
Yeah, you're right in the sense that calculation-skills are probably more important in pharmacy (e.g. we have a calculations-based paper each year at Brighton, which becomes increasingly difficult as you progress through the course, and counts for 40% of one of the modules). The calculations bit is mainly self-taught at Brighton too. At least at applicant-level, I suppose that the ability to apply basic arithmetic skills to unknown situations is important.

The pharmacist pre-registration exam contains a clinical knowledge component and a calculations-based component (which I believe was non-calculator up until recently), you need to achieve at least 70% in both components in order to pass the registration assessment overall. So even if you ace the clinical knowledge component but get 69% in the calculations bit, you have to resit the whole exam.

Not sure whether there's a similar sort of thing for medics.
The Medic Portal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We know this thread is from last year, but just in case any visitors here are looking for resources - we've published a few blogs on MMI Calculation and Data Interpretation stations:

- MMI Stations: Calculation and Data Interpretation
- How to do drug calculations

Hope these are helpful!
RedPanda114
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Medic Portal)
We know this thread is from last year, but just in case any visitors here are looking for resources - we've published a few blogs on MMI Calculation and Data Interpretation stations:

- MMI Stations: Calculation and Data Interpretation
- How to do drug calculations

Hope these are helpful!
Thank you <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads