Alpha Chains and Beta Chain polypeptides

Watch this thread
timthechemist
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
When they are referring to polypeptides, as 𝝰 and β polypeptide chains, like in hemoglobin for example, they are not meaning alpha helix and beta pleated sheet are they?

What is the difference between the 𝝰 and β polypeptide chains? or is it just nomenclature for like 1 & 2, to designate they are different?
Lighfy
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by timthechemist)
When they are referring to polypeptides, as 𝝰 and β polypeptide chains, like in hemoglobin for example, they are not meaning alpha helix and beta pleated sheet are they?

What is the difference between the 𝝰 and β polypeptide chains? or is it just nomenclature for like 1 & 2, to designate they are different?
Yes, when we say 𝝰 polypeptide, we are referring to a polypeptide chain which is in the shape of a helix. The same applies to β chains. Look at the quaternary structure of haemoglobin and notice the difference in shapes between the 4 polypeptide chains.
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

Yes you are right, in haemoglobin, the alpha chains do not refer to alpha helices, and the beta chains do not refer to beta-pleated sheets. As you said, it's just the nomenclature and it just happens that there are two different polypeptides in haemoglobin, so they called one alpha and one beta. For example, foetal haemoglobin (HbF) has two alpha and two gamma polypeptide chains, but of course, there is no gamma helix/sheet (as to my knowledge). It's just a way of making. And distinguishing between different amino acids in a protein.

Hope that helps!
timthechemist
Rep:
One of you is right and one of you is wrong. I am going with Jpw1097.

As I doubt that an entire polypeptide chain can be said to be in a-helix form the whole way. I understand that polypeptide chains have "sections" of a-helix and sections of beta sheets, as needed to make a shape, and places with neither of these two structures.
Asklepios
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
One of you is right and one of you is wrong. I am going with Jpw1097.

As I doubt that an entire polypeptide chain can be said to be in a-helix form the whole way. I understand that polypeptide chains have "sections" of a-helix and sections of beta sheets, as needed to make a shape, and places with neither of these two structures.
Jpw is correct. If you do look at the structure, then you'll see both alpha and beta subunits are largely composed of alpha helices.
timthechemist
Rep:
(Original post by Asklepios)
Jpw is correct. If you do look at the structure, then you'll see both alpha and beta subunits are largely composed of alpha helices.
There you go, so the terms alpha and beta in this context have nothing to do with the terms we know in secondary structure "alpha helix" "beta sheet"

Cheers
Asklepios
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
There you go, so the terms alpha and beta in this context have nothing to do with the terms we know in secondary structure "alpha helix" "beta sheet"

Cheers
Nope
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (108)
68.35%
No (33)
20.89%
I didn't use it to prepare (17)
10.76%

Watched Threads