The Student Room Group

2:1 Law degree and want to study Medcine

Okay so whilst studying law in 1st year, I took an optional credit in Forensic Medicine and completely fell in love.

I took no sciences to Higher, not because I wasn't good at them (I got As at Intermediate 2) but because I thought I was better suited to studying law as I excelled in my school's debate team.

I enjoy Law school and I have been predicted a 2:1 upon graduation but I just don't want to practice and regret now not pursuing any of my science subjects in school further.

Is there any way I could get onto a Medicine Course or should I just give up on my dream?

EDIT:
I forgot to add that I will be hopefully attending The Kings College London summer programme in 2016 for human anatomy and physiology. I don't know if this makes any difference or not ?
(edited 8 years ago)
of course, i think you have to do an extra year but they are open to people from all backgrounds.
and if that option isnt feasible/available, you could always take a year out/study in your own time while working for science a levels as a private candidate
Swansea will consider you for GEM with a 2:1 in law however most other universities will have wanted you to complete a science related degree.
I think you can do a levels at any age. My teacher is doing one now.
Original post by hoping4Astars

Except that once you've completed a university degree they will be looking at what you achieved in that rather than A-levels
Reply 6
Original post by WinterDucky
Swansea will consider you for GEM with a 2:1 in law however most other universities will have wanted you to complete a science related degree.

Okay thanks I will look into Swansea. It won't be for another 2 years though, as even although I don't want to practice law, I still want to get my degree as I have worked damn hard for it lol
Reply 7
Original post by neal95
of course, i think you have to do an extra year but they are open to people from all backgrounds.

Thanks ! I just wasn't sure if at graduate entry level I would have no chance as there would be I imagine a lot of people with biology etc degrees who would be applying and the universities would look more favourably on them.

I will look and see if there are any foundation/ access courses that I could complete that might help.
Reply 8
Original post by evalilyXOX
Okay thanks I will look into Swansea. It won't be for another 2 years though, as even although I don't want to practice law, I still want to get my degree as I have worked damn hard for it lol

This article explains further on universities that accept those with a non science related degree.
Reply 9
Original post by kkboyk
This article explains further on universities that accept those with a non science related degree.

Thank you ! I will have a look at this right now !
Reply 10
Original post by kkboyk

That is way out of date! This is what is needed....

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Reply 11
Thank you ! I will have a look at this right now !

Things have changed a bit....look at this....

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
Reply 12
Okay so whilst studying law in 1st year, I took an optional credit in Forensic Medicine and completely fell in love.

I took no sciences to Higher, not because I wasn't good at them (I got As at Intermediate 2) but because I thought I was better suited to studying law as I excelled in my school's debate team.

I enjoy Law school and I have been predicted a 2:1 upon graduation but I just don't want to practice and regret now not pursuing any of my science subjects in school further.

Is there any way I could get onto a Medicine Course or should I just give up on my dream?

EDIT:
I forgot to add that I will be hopefully attending The Kings College London summer programme in 2016 for human anatomy and physiology. I don't know if this makes any difference or not ?

Are you doing your law degree in Scotland? If so, the funding situation is rather tricky for GEM. Scottish domiciled students get no help at all with fees, although they are eligible for maintenance loans.
Original post by NHSFan
Are you doing your law degree in Scotland? If so, the funding situation is rather tricky for GEM. Scottish domiciled students get no help at all with fees, although they are eligible for maintenance loans.

Yes I am doing my law degree in Scotland, but I am fortunate enough to have parents who have agreed to paying any educational funding I require
Original post by hoping4Astars

i thought u 19 was the maximum age for doing A-levels. How is he doing a levels. Mature students have to do an access course.
Reply 15
Yes I am doing my law degree in Scotland, but I am fortunate enough to have parents who have agreed to paying any educational funding I require

Great! Good luck! :smile:

I did my undergrad at Swansea and really enjoyed it.
Original post by #NotAPseudonym
I did my undergrad at Swansea and really enjoyed it.

My family are originally from Wales, so studying in Swansea would be lovely !
Reply 18
I know at least 2 people in my year at medical school that came into with a law degree.

It's completely doable, if you can afford it and can hack one extreme to the other.

My advice, certainly, is to finish your degree and apply as a graduate- I'm certain more places than Swansea accept 2.i in any subject (even non-science)- Newcastle?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending