Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It isn't given to you in the data at the back of the paper - is it just the opposite of an electron i.e. 1.6X10^19 C??

ReputationRep:
    1.602*10^(-19)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabs)
    1.602*10^(-19)
    Oh yeah, missed that. when you multiply or divide by -1, never touch the index number... you'd need (1.602*10^19)/(1.602*10^-19) electrons to cancel out one proton otherwise... not a very stable atomic model.

ReputationRep:
    1 esu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabs)
    1.602*10^(-19)
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Oh yeah, missed that. when you multiply or divide by -1, never touch the index number... you'd need (1.602*10^19)/(1.602*10^-19) electrons to cancel out one proton otherwise... not a very stable atomic model.
    I'm confused. Is it 1.6X10^+19 or 1.6X10-19??

ReputationRep:
    charge on an electron = -1.6 * 10^-19
    charge on proton = +1.6 * 10^-19

in other words the same magnitude as the charge on an electron just positive instead of negative. hope this clarifys.

ReputationRep:
    The charge is quite simply +1. Never mind all that mumbo jumbo above. Keep it simple.

ReputationRep:
    They're physicists vinny, us chemists have no place here

ReputationRep:
    quite, that wont get you any marks on a physics paper, lol

ReputationRep:
    electroc charge is measured in units called Coulombs. Hence the amount of charge on a proton is 1.6E-19 Coulombs.
    To say the chagre is +1 is incorrect. What you can say though is that the 'relative' charge on the proton is +1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timmymac)
    electroc charge is measured in units called Coulombs. Hence the amount of charge on a proton is 1.6E-19 Coulombs.
    To say the chagre is +1 is incorrect. What you can say though is that the 'relative' charge on the proton is +1.
    Rather you than me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    Rather you than me!

Ooh, it's not that bad!
    Although, CCEA module 1 was terrible today.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.