eoj89
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Are RE and Theology the same subject?

I had a taster session in Theology a few months back which I loved, and the tutor said that Theology is just an embellished term for Religious Studies. However, looking on the OCR website, it doesn't have Theology listed as one of it's subjects, nor does AQA or anything else. OCR is the exam board my college do Theology with, and even when you google 'OCR Theology' or something similar, the results that come up are 'OCR AS/A Level GCE Religious Studies', not Theology.

I'm trying to come up with subject combinations, as I've been put off Geography due to the maths side of it, get too angry about Politics and I'm left with just Sociology and/or Psychology and I need a third subject, preferably a traditional subject, and I think RE/Theology is a traditional subject.

Are they the same subject? Is it hard?
lleytonks
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OCR religious studies is a combination of the philosophy of religion, ethics and developments of a particular religions theology.

RS and theology aren’t the same thing. Theology is purely on religion or a particular religion starting from the premise of God existing. However philosophy of religion can start from the premise of god existing or not.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Religious studies involves the ethnographic accounts of religious communities, their rituals, their beliefs and so on, and can be sociological in context as well as historical etc. Theology is the study of God. Philosophy of religion is exactly what it says on the tin. All markedly different but with areas of convergence.

The tutor is a plant pot if they seriously believe that theology = RE/RS.
Last edited by gjd800; 1 year ago
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gjd800)
Religious studies involves the ethnographic accounts of religious communities, their rituals, their beliefs and so on, and can be sociological in context as well as historical etc. Theology is the study of God. Philosophy of religion is exactly what it says on the tin. All markedly different but with areas of convergence.

The tutor is a plant pot if they seriously believe that theology = RE/RS.
I think OCR RS A level is a deliberate mix of theology and religious studies. There's classic theology like the person and nature of Jesus, faith vs reason and so on. There's also sociological topics like Christianity's place in multifaith society, its place in secular society and feminist issues regarding family and gender roles.

So yeah don't get the types of topics confused.

(has attained non-plant pot tutor level)
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Joe312)
I think OCR RS A level is a deliberate mix of theology and religious studies. There's classic theology like the person and nature of Jesus, faith vs reason and so on. There's also sociological topics like Christianity's place in multifaith society, its place in secular society and feminist issues regarding family and gender roles.

So yeah don't get the types of topics confused.

(has attained non-plant pot tutor level)
:laugh:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (50)
22.42%
No (173)
77.58%

Watched Threads