The Student Room Group

The real cost of living in London?

Hai!

I am going to university this year and since I am an international student I have no idea of what the costs of living in London are.
I've looked into the universities accomodation and tbh they're kind of expensive.
I was looking for something cheaper and that I can live with a minimum wage (for a student) in London.

Thank you
Hai!

I am going to university this year and since I am an international student I have no idea of what the costs of living in London are.
I've looked into the universities accomodation and tbh they're kind of expensive.
I was looking for something cheaper and that I can live with a minimum wage (for a student) in London.

Thank you

Hmm, student accommodation will be among the cheapest. You can try some flat shares on gumtree.com
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Captain Jack
Hmm, student accommodation will be among the cheapest. You can try some flat shares on gumtree.com

Well, the cheapest accomodation at Imperial is 97£ pw.
Is is possible to find a flat share for around 150-200£ pcm?

Thank you

Thank you

I would be very suprised. I work at Imperial so I had the same issue when I moved to London from Glasgow. I originally was paying 650pm for a flat share in SE. Most students live in Hammersmith and Putney, the cheapest you'll be likely to find is about £500pm for a room in a share if you're very lucky.

I would definitely recommend halls as a cheaper option.
(edited 5 years ago)

Thank you

Hmm, I'd be amazed if you can but others might know better. When I was studying in London I was paying £300 a month rent in south London and that was over a decade ago.
(edited 5 years ago)
Inner london is expensive af , l live in the suburbs , tis much cheaper.
Reply 6
London is one of the most expensive cities to live in, student accommodation tends to be the cheapest option. As others have said you are looked at £300-£600 per month just to rent a room in a flat in London. The further you go outside of the centre of London, the rent gets (slightly) cheaper, but then you have to consider travel costs for getting to and from University.

Thank you

Highly doubt it. I was struggling to find one on a budget of £450pcm
(edited 5 years ago)
I found this flat share which costs 250£ a month in Westminster.
The struggle is that I probably won't get enough money at work to pay accomodation + other stuff. -_-
I found this flat share which costs 250£ a month in Westminster.
The struggle is that I probably won't get enough money at work to pay accomodation + other stuff. -_-

I would check if it's a room share and not a week. As that sounds a bit too good to be true if I'm honest.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lyrical_lie
I would check if it's a room share and not a week. As that sounds a bit too good to be true if I'm honest.

http://uk.easyroommate.com/london-flatshare/lovely-4-bedroom-flat-in-whitehall-street-3/h151116161437496

It doesn't look like a 250£ pcm flat share tho
Original post by lyrical_lie

You'd be lucky to get something like that even in the outskirts of london in all honesty

Thank you

No. You'd have to be well outside London to get anywhere near those kinds of prices. Flat share room rents inside the N and S Circular roads are a lot more.
(edited 5 years ago)

Yea, that looks like a roomshare, you can see in the pictures there's two beds.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest