The Student Room Group

Am I anorexic?

Hii~
I was diagnosed with anorexia yesterday. Im 15, 174 cm and 49/50 kg. My BMI is 16.2. For some reason as much as everyone tells me that I am, I don't really think i am. :frown: Is my weight that bad? Am I really anorexic?
If you were diagnosed then yes you definitely are and the doctors know better than anyone on here. And yes 174/50 does sound too skinny.
If you were diagnosed you probably are. If you disagree, go to a second doctor and get their opinion. Hope everything goes well for you x
Reply 3
Well you WERE diagnosed so...
yeah you are

see that's the problem! you don't see it yourself until it's too late!
please please try and eat a bit more?
it can always be healthy weight
and you'll look even BETTER with rosy red healthy cheeks and a glamorous buff body :wink:
anorexic girls are weak... your hair will fall off and you'll have no energy!
you need to get it in your head that you ARE beautiful
not that you WILL be beautiful
you ARE
but you're sick and you'll get better!
it'll be okay, just do what the doctor says :smile:
I'm sorry about this, it must be hard:frown: I went through an eating disorder myself when I was fifteen, but I was in total rejection of the idea that I was even having an eating disorder, however as time I went on I realised that, with the help from my family, I was seriously wrong in the way I treated my body. I know how it feels to still see your body as something no one else did.

I do think that you are quite underweight, and its likely you have anorexia if you were diagnosed with it, it doesn't make you ugly, or a bad person or anything, its just that you could really benefit from gaining weight to be able to function healthily, but i'm always here to talk if you like :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for the help. I've come to terms with the fact that I really am now and I'm trying to help myself now x
Reply 6
Thanks for the help. I managed to come to terms with it and I'm trying to recover :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for the help hun :smile: I realised i want to get better and i dont want to live like this anymore. Im in recovery and im on a meal plan which is always being increased. I'm finally helping myself.
Reply 8
Thank you love x im trying to get better now
Reply 9
Thank you dear <3 This made me feel so much better. I finally feel like someone understands :smile:
Original post by PandaSam01
Thank you dear <3 This made me feel so much better. I finally feel like someone understands :smile:

Hey :smile: I too have been diagnosed with anorexia and bullimia.
I've been bullimia free since 2013 and I recently thought I had completely got past my anorexia but I have relapsed :/

I'm 166 and weigh 53kg currently.
My lowest was about 47kg I think. Right now I'm struggling to not drop past 50. It's my New Years resolution :biggrin:

Pm me if you want to talk! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm not sure if I understand anorexia exactly. Can't you just eat loads to "cure" it?
Original post by Boo-Urns
I'm not sure if I understand anorexia exactly. Can't you just eat loads to "cure" it?

No, it is a mental illness. Anorexia is more than just being underweight, it is accompanied by an intense fear of gaining weight which consumes a person and causes them to starve themselves, and is often tied to a desire for someone to gain control back of an aspect of their lives, or to a deep-rooted issue.

It is extremely complex, and unfortunately 'just eating more' is extremely difficult for sufferers.
Reply 13
Aww please try your best not to relapse :frown: You deserve to be healthy and happy :smile: You can pm me if you want to talk too x
If you were diagnosed then you are! I've struggled with anorexic tendencies for a couple of years but I'm a lot better now. At the time, I didn't see that I was sick but looking back now I can see that I was. My lowest BMI was 16.2, same as you and I didn't see myself as "thin enough" either. My BMI is now at 18 and I feel as if I'm too thin now!!! Please hang in there and remember that food is fuel and is not the enemy. I hope you can get better soon :smile:
Reply 15
Thank you so much for your kind words and support:smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest