The Student Room Group

Smelly feet

Does anyone else here get smelly feet after a long day wearing shoes?

I only get it after wearing shoes if I don't wear shoes I don't get any smell.

Just wondering if anyone gets this and knows what the solution is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
Does anyone else here get smelly feet after a long day wearing shoes?

I only get it after wearing shoes if I don't wear shoes I don't get any smell.

Just wondering if anyone gets this and knows what the solution is

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am assuming that when you are not wearing shoes, you are not wearing slippers either ?

If so, then the smell could be cause by your feet sweating in your shoes. This is commonly known as Bromodosis.

There are a few possible ways to stop your feet from smelling, or at least to reduce the smelliness:
1. You can by special foot deodorant or even just normal deodorant/antiperspirant to spray on your feet and inside your shoes.
2. Dab cotton wool balls soaked in surgical spirit on your feet once they are washed and dried. This will help to dry out the skin and prevent any sweating.
3.Try looking for soaks that have a built in ventilation system (a lot of sport soaks have this technology) which will help circulate air through your feet throughout the day.
4. Medicated insoles are another option, which contain a deodorant to help keep your feet fresh.

It is quite common to have smelly/ sweaty feet as teenagers as our change in hormones can induce there symptoms.

However, if you feel that your feet excessively sweat then you could suffer from Hyperhidrosis. This medical condition is slightly harder to treat but still manageable. You can buy a solution from your local pharmacy called Driclor (it can vary in names), which you would apply to dry skin overnight and it helps to reduce the production of sweat from the sweat glands. A more drastic measure would be botox whereby the sweat glands are paralysed which will stop/drastically reduced the sweat production in your feet.

Alternatively, you could suffer from Athlete's foot. My brother suffers from this a lot where his feet are more sweaty than usual, and sores can develop between the toes as it a fungal infection. Driclor or something similar works to cure this too.

Hope this helps !
Reply 2
I suffered with sweaty feet for years and then my podiatrist suggested trying Sikoped insoles. They said they had been selling these for years and had worked well for lots of other clients. I tried them and wow, they really worked for me. Worth a go in my opinion. Hope this helps. ( they have a website

Quick Reply

Latest