The Student Room Group

Rejected from Warwick and LSE :(

Hey guys i recently got my LSE rejection for Economics and i was already rejected last week from Warwick for economics. These 2 were my dream universities to study economics at and i feel devastated. I got AAAA at AS in maths furher maths physics and economics and predicted A*A*AA in these 4 subjects respectively. I really dont feel like going to a lower tier university with my grades since i have worked waay to hard for them. Is it worth reapplying to these 2 provided i meet my targets?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Dont worry it probably doesnt mean your a bad candidate just that competition for economics at these universities you mentioned is extreme, not only is economics a very popular degree but the 2 schools you applied to are very prestigious for economics, dont worry im sure you will end up at a decent university. Have you considered applying to UCL they are also great for economics probably below the oxbridge warwick/lse threshold? What are your other choices? And if you meet your targets you can have another shot at this by reapplying!
Lse and warwick econ reject here too haha, You should try applying to UCL, Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Bath and Kings college they are all great schools of economics, but they will give you a excellent quality of education probably just as good as LSE/Warwick but that being said i do agree that Warwick and LSEs sheer reputation for Economics is very very impressive. If you meet your Target grades you can reapply, good luck!
You shouldn't be worried about this.The admission tutors might have found a weakness i.e your personal statement or maybe your GCSEs.Always bear in mind these places will have applicants applying who have achieved similar or better grades than you hence the admission tutors differentiate between such candidates
Original post by Jenny50
Hey guys i recently got my LSE rejection for Economics and i was already rejected last week from Warwick for economics. These 2 were my dream universities to study economics at and i feel devastated. I got AAAA at AS in maths furher maths physics and economics and predicted A*A*AA in these 4 subjects respectively. I really dont feel like going to a lower tier university with my grades since i have worked waay to hard for them. Is it worth reapplying to these 2 provided i meet my targets?

You will not be getting there, get over it. Just focus on your best opportunity at the moment, not everyone with perfect grades gets a place, many good candidates are rejected due to extreme competitiveness of both the course and universities you have applied for. Going to s "lower tier" uni wouldn't harm your chances of employment with such A-levels and considering you have applied to Warwick and LSE your "lower tier" unis aren't lower tier at all. (Unless you applied to Coventry, or Man Met, which you probably didn't).
Also, imagine if you reapply next year and get rejected again would you apply the next year after that? It is not worth going through UCAS again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 0123456543210
You will not be getting there, get over it. Just focus on your best opportunity at the moment, not everyone with perfect grades gets a place, many good candidates are rejected due to extreme competitiveness of both the course and universities you have applied for. Going to s "lower tier" uni wouldn't harm your chances of employment with such A-levels and considering you have applied to Warwick and LSE your "lower tier" unis aren't lower tier at all. (Unless you applied to Coventry, or Man Met, which you probably didn't).
Also, imagine if you reapply next year and get rejected again would you apply the next year after that? It is not worth going through UCAS again.

I have an offer from Bristol and still waiting on durham and Kings college and maybe you are right going to warwick or lse is not going to make or break my career, i just heard so many good things about the 2 universities and the fact that they never dropped out of the top 4 for economics since the invention of league tables which made it very appealing.
Did u retake? And yh your not giving me hope I haven't heard back from those two and now not looking forward to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't want to go to Lower tier universities? Seriously? Just because a university is not as good at economics at LSE/Warwick does not make it a lower tier university they probably rejected you because of your attitude you sound very arrogant.
Reply 8
Original post by bk9752579742398
Did u retake? And yh your not giving me hope I haven't heard back from those two and now not looking forward to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope never retook anything :frown:, and goodluck hopefully you will get into one of those!
Original post by Jenny50
I have an offer from Bristol and still waiting on durham and Kings college and maybe you are right going to warwick or lse is not going to make or break my career, i just heard so many good things about the 2 universities and the fact that they never dropped out of the top 4 for economics since the invention of league tables which made it very appealing.

I can relate to the situation, got rejected by Warwick for Law. But even if you are a great candidate (which I am sure you are) odds are still not in your favour, because there will be about 10 people with similar abilities for a single place. Honestly, teaching is likely to be the same, so will be the employment opportunities. Don't just put emphasis on the name of the university and enjoy your course. Maybe visit Bristol and see how you will like it? As some unis may be superior on paper but you may not feel like it personally. I am sure you will have a great experience going to either of the aforementioned universities.:smile:
Thanks but didn't think so now, your results were slightly better than mine and my GCSEs and PS were not faultless to say the least

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't re-apply. I got bad AS grades so got rejected from LSE before the two week email straight up. Ended up doing well and getting AAA (standard offer for LSE) so I decided to take a gap year and reapply and still got rejected 6 weeks into the 8 week email. I was absolutely devastated. I only re-applied to try to get into LSE (they don't do adjustment whereas UCL, my second choice, does) so essentially I wasted a year
Btw were else did you apply to and when did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
the main reason of you getting rejected is not having an A* predicted in economics. If you can get an A* in economics then you should reapply it.
Reply 14
Original post by 0123456543210
I can relate to the situation, got rejected by Warwick for Law. But even if you are a great candidate (which I am sure you are) odds are still not in your favour, because there will be about 10 people with similar abilities for a single place. Honestly, teaching is likely to be the same, so will be the employment opportunities. Don't just put emphasis on the name of the university and enjoy your course. Maybe visit Bristol and see how you will like it? As some unis may be superior on paper but you may not feel like it personally. I am sure you will have a great experience going to either of the aforementioned universities.:smile:

Thank you! And i am sorry for your rejection from Warwick they are indeed very selective. But k guess you are right the quality of education wont be much different iand making decision purely because of the name is probably a bad idea. Btw you are also an applicant for a university student? :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by bk9752579742398
Btw were else did you apply to and when did you apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied to warwick, lse bristol, durham and kings i sent off my app a out a month again i would say and my GCSEs were 9A*s and 2As.
Reply 16
Original post by p.formanko
Don't re-apply. I got bad AS grades so got rejected from LSE before the two week email straight up. Ended up doing well and getting AAA (standard offer for LSE) so I decided to take a gap year and reapply and still got rejected 6 weeks into the 8 week email. I was absolutely devastated. I only re-applied to try to get into LSE (they don't do adjustment whereas UCL, my second choice, does) so essentially I wasted a year

Ohh sorry to hear that and what did you apply for if i may ask?
Original post by Jenny50
Applied to warwick, lse bristol, durham and kings i sent off my app a out a month again i would say and my GCSEs were 9A*s and 2As.

Your results seem amazing I don't see how you got rejected (and less hope for me 😭😭) but durham and the others are still GREAT and doubt it will make any difference 10 years from now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw do you know if LSE or Warwick check your results compared to your school (because I know Oxbridge do that and of so there might be some chance for me after all) and if so did everyone at your school do as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jenny50
Thank you! And i am sorry for your rejection from Warwick they are indeed very selective. But k guess you are right the quality of education wont be much different iand making decision purely because of the name is probably a bad idea. Btw you are also an applicant for a university student? :smile:

You are welcome. What is this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending