Do you regret any of your a-level choices??

Watch
xxKristenxx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Firstly... what subject do you take?? Which one/s do you regret and why?? What made you choose it and why do you now wish you hadn't?? What would you have take instead??
Start choosing my A-Levels soon XD
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I took A Level Geography, Geology and ICT. I regretted taking Geography at the time, because I really struggled with it. I got a good grade in the end though (B), but at the time, I hated it (Geography was my favourite subject at GCSE, but the A Level did my head in)
FAAWAH
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xxKristenxx)
Firstly... what subject do you take?? Which one/s do you regret and why?? What made you choose it and why do you now wish you hadn't?? What would you have take instead??
Start choosing my A-Levels soon XD
omg good question !! i REGRET taking english lit - i mean ok at times its just amazing to take your head off of all the science and maths but the essays and the standard is just overwhelming !!
for me the best is ::: chemistry then maths then bio then english lit !!
i didnt acc choose english as my initial a level subject but because my head of sixth form said that english is a national spoken language and to see an A on that would just show how "capable " you are-- but also because it would show i do all core based subjects i.e. english maths and science #stress x forever
BobbyFlay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A good tip would be to compare the subjects that are preferred on the course you plan on doing at uni.
That way to don't end up doing a completely unnecessary qualification.
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I regret taking A level PE, I got an A at AS and predicted A* at A2 but I feel its worthless because of how "easy" it is deemed and the stigma surrounding it

Especially as my other subjects are very academic, I recieved very good AS grades - however I feel I could've achieved higher grades (AAA) in the academic subjects if I didn't have to put so much time in to AS PE

I regret not taking Sociology - as it looks really interesting, History as it would've been very beneficial for me in terms of degree and I would've done well as I'm in to essay-based subjects, and Physics as I just have a general interest in it!

I reccomend chosing subjects you enjoy, but chose something that will be beneficial for you in the future also and will help you get on the degree/apprentice you want (Doing A Level PE could have been detrimental to my applications to higher tier universities - the uni's even said so )
Jasminem97
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by papajani1234)
omg good question !! i REGRET taking english lit - i mean ok at times its just amazing to take your head off of all the science and maths but the essays and the standard is just overwhelming !!
for me the best is ::: chemistry then maths then bio then english lit !!
i didnt acc choose english as my initial a level subject but because my head of sixth form said that english is a national spoken language and to see an A on that would just show how "capable " you are-- but also because it would show i do all core based subjects i.e. english maths and science #stress x forever
OMG sounds like what happened to me!
I hate English so so so much, but because I got A*'s in it at GCSE my sixth form put me down for it! Its so difficult at A level too!
Purple-Pixie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I regret choosing English Literature. I chose it because I was good at it at GCSE although I didn't actually enjoy it that much (I only liked it because I was good at it). For me, it's gotten so much harder now at A Level and I can't wait to drop it at the end of Year 12 because I hate it! I would have chosen Spanish instead because, although it's hard, I genuinely liked it and it would have been nice to have a bit more variety in my subjects as I do all essay-based subjects.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Back in the day I did English, History and Sports... didn't like them... and did a runner to do BTEC. Found them all boring
xxKristenxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
I took A Level Geography, Geology and ICT. I regretted taking Geography at the time, because I really struggled with it. I got a good grade in the end though (B), but at the time, I hated it (Geography was my favourite subject at GCSE, but the A Level did my head in)
I was thinking about taking ICT but not sure. Is there anything on computer programming and coding in the course??
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was thinking about taking ICT but not sure. Is there anything on computer programming and coding in the course??
I don't think we had to do any programming, but there was a really small amount of coding that had to be done as part of the A2 coursework. I could be wrong, but aren't the government planning to scrap GCSE and A Level ICT?
LaughingKitsune
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I regret taking Health and Social Care at AS. It's the only subject where you can follow the criteria exactly and STILL get a U. Of course I dropped it for A2.

I also took BTEC Media and A-Level Film. The only thing I regret about them is having taken the BTEC Media. I'd taken Film instead of Photography because, even with EMA support, I could not afford a DSLR camera in time. I absolutely enjoyed the course, and learned about politics and psychology within that subject, so it was hardly useless.

I wasn't allowed to choose a subject to replace Health and Social Care, because apparently I 'wouldn't need one', despite not having enough UCAS points to get into university after the A-Levels were done.

Fast forward seven years, I'm now doing a degree in Business. Go figure.

I wish I'd have taken the following:

A-Level Media
Film Studies
Law
Business Studies

Law simply because I covered contract law in one of my Business modules last year and I definitely enjoyed it.
xxKristenxx
Rep:
?
I don't think we had to do any programming, but there was a really small amount of coding that had to be done as part of the A2 coursework. I could be wrong, but aren't the government planning to scrap GCSE and A Level ICT?
Yeah I heard about that but I don't know when it is going ahead because I am doing the GCSE now and the a level option is still available to me
Purple-Pixie
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're interested in programming and coding, I think Computer Science A Level would involve this rather than ICT.
FAAWAH
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

its already happened, we couldnt choose ict or computing this year - it wasnt like i planned to but oh well :\
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I heard about that but I don't know when it is going ahead because I am doing the GCSE now and the a level option is still available to me
I know my college scrapped A Level ICT just after I left, and now they offer a Diploma in Computer Science or something instead. Well, if you like the look of the course, are willing to put the effort in and it's still available to you, I'd say go for it
0lut0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why are you scaring me?
I like Geography and I want to take it at A-level...
xxKristenxx
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purple-Pixie)
If you're interested in programming and coding, I think Computer Science A Level would involve this rather than ICT.
Oh no because that is the side of computers that I dislike
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 0lut0)
Why are you scaring me?
I like Geography and I want to take it at A-level...
Haha sorry
tofutofu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
regret taking biology. i kid you not the school lost me in the second wk of term about cells and whatnot and to this day i still dont know how i memorised the mark schemes and textbook in time for the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
p.formanko
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did English literature, geography, Spanish, econ.

Would say that I regret all four.

English lit - subjective (so difficult to mark?), lots of reading, essays and referencing, time pressured in the exam, needed to learn 20 poems and two plays by heart for the exam (WJEC).

Geography - time pressured in the exam, lots of content, you only get rewarded for following a certain exam technique.

Spanish - A* is very difficult to get (94% this year) so only benefits native speakers. Essays subjective and orals difficult to prepare for. Included play and film analysis so similar to English.

Econ - didn't like because it just wasn't for me. I prefer something that measures the tangible (geog) rather than just gdp, policies, etc...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (42)
36.84%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (10)
8.77%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.39%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25.44%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed