The Student Room Group

Do you regret any of your a-level choices??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes ... all of them

I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Computing and achieved BCCB - dropped Physics after AS and currently in A2

Biology is long as **** - and I just don't like biology... I took it because my parents made me because they want me to do medicine and now I'm failing everything and I'm depressed and my life is ruined

Chemistry is so ****ing hard omg... but I still would've chosen it again because of my undying love for it *__* gah - it's so beautiful
Doesn't mean I'm good at it though :tongue:

Computing - I don't know how to program and I got by fine in AS (got As all throughout the year - then that unit 2 paper **** on me) but now the coursework is ****ting on me in A2

Physics - I had a teacher with a joint honours undergrad in physics and economics who came straight from Australia and had no ****ing clue what OCR was and the course structure and stuff. I didn't get his explanations at all... he was the only physics teacher in the entire school. With a subject like physics - it's a miracle I even got a C
Like that C is an A* to me m8

I was meant to be 'gifted and talented' and I was meant to get As and do medicine but clearly that didn't happen and now I don't know what to do with my life and everyone's ****ting on me and crushing my dreams and I'm so lost rn and gah

I need a therapist
Reply 21
Original post by Jasminem97
OMG sounds like what happened to me!
I hate English so so so much, but because I got A*'s in it at GCSE my sixth form put me down for it! :frown:Its so difficult at A level too!

GUUUURL TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! were just gonna have to cope ! GOD HAVE MERCY ON US BOTH (AND ALL WHO HATE ENGLISH LIT TOO ) ")
Sometimes I wish I did Physics instead of Geography.
Reply 23
Hmmm. I guess I regret taking Psychology. I'd much rather have taken English Literature, or Spanish. I can't say I regret EVERYTHING, but I wish I did take different subjects. I struggle in Chemistry, but I understand the merits of the A-level.
Original post by papajani1234
GUUUURL TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! were just gonna have to cope ! GOD HAVE MERCY ON US BOTH (AND ALL WHO HATE ENGLISH LIT TOO ) ":wink:

Only a year left! whenever i said i hate reading people be like " why do english lit then" and I'm like I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE
Reply 25
Original post by Jasminem97
Only a year left! whenever i said i hate reading people be like " why do english lit then" and I'm like I DIDNT HAVE A CHOICE

LOOOOOOL !!! TRUST ME !! but we NEED to get that A before we drop it tho! ill pray for both of us DW I got you :smile:
Original post by xxKristenxx
I was thinking about taking ICT but not sure. Is there anything on computer programming and coding in the course??

I do a-level ICT, I'm currently in year 12, so I am doing AS level. I got an A at GCSE in ICT and in our mock exams for A level I am already on a grade B. I find it pretty easy as it was my favourite GCSE subject. I'm doing AQA and there is NO coding in it, however you do learn about binary code a little. I would reccomend doing it as it is probably one of the easiest a levels on the market and especially if you enjoy it. One of my friends doesn't even like ICT but got a C in the a level mock paper. Year 13 on AQA is pretty long as we have to do 150 pages coursework. Year 12 you do up to 20 pages sample work which you bring into the examination with you and use it to answer a whole section. I would suggest picking it and also look at university degrees and what you want to do before you pick your a levels as once you're in it for about 3/4 weeks they won't let you change so PICK CAREFULLY! Speak to your teachers about it as well.

I hope I helped.
I took Hair and Beauty, Health and Social Care, Business Studies, and Media Studies... I kinda regret taking Media Studies though because apparently it's not a 'well-respected' subject.
Chemistry -_- I picked it for AS and 3 months in, I don't get anything and I'm trying to practice and I still don't understand...
I regret taking Media Studies - it's so hard!! I got a U in my mock fml :frown:
I regretted Physics as it was so boring and the teacher was so bad, but I dropped it this week :biggrin:, so I'm happier with my subjects now. It just means I have to spend a lot of time catching up with Further Maths though :s-smilie:.
I dropped politics first day of term.

I missed the deadline to swap economics for creative writing. I absolutely HATE economics. I've been attending the after school help lessons, lunch help lessons and I'm just not understanding it. The multiple choice section is so difficult. All of the answers are deemed correct and you have to pick the "most correct" and it just becomes a guessing game most of the time. I had to guess my way to a C on one test it was ridiculous.
Original post by z33
Yes ... all of them

I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Computing and achieved BCCB - dropped Physics after AS and currently in A2

Biology is long as **** - and I just don't like biology... I took it because my parents made me because they want me to do medicine and now I'm failing everything and I'm depressed and my life is ruined

Chemistry is so ****ing hard omg... but I still would've chosen it again because of my undying love for it *__* gah - it's so beautiful
Doesn't mean I'm good at it though :tongue:

Computing - I don't know how to program and I got by fine in AS (got As all throughout the year - then that unit 2 paper **** on me) but now the coursework is ****ting on me in A2

Physics - I had a teacher with a joint honours undergrad in physics and economics who came straight from Australia and had no ****ing clue what OCR was and the course structure and stuff. I didn't get his explanations at all... he was the only physics teacher in the entire school. With a subject like physics - it's a miracle I even got a C
Like that C is an A* to me m8

I was meant to be 'gifted and talented' and I was meant to get As and do medicine but clearly that didn't happen and now I don't know what to do with my life and everyone's ****ting on me and crushing my dreams and I'm so lost rn and gah

I need a therapist

I'm so sorry, love. If you need some advice feel free to message me. Same thing happened to me a year ago. My mum forced me to take Biology bc they wanted me to apply for Medicine but I hated it with a passion. Ended up so depressed with the pressure of doing 5 subjects I couldn't even make it out of bed for the last term. I had to retake Year 12, this time replacing Biology with English Lang/Lit, which was what I wanted to do in the first place. Thankfully my mum has realised the consequence of pushing me too hard, but we still had a massive fight when I was filling out my UCAS form bc I refused to apply for anything she believes would get me a "good job".
Reply 33
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
I'm so sorry, love. If you need some advice feel free to message me. Same thing happened to me a year ago. My mum forced me to take Biology bc they wanted me to apply for Medicine but I hated it with a passion. Ended up so depressed with the pressure of doing 5 subjects I couldn't even make it out of bed for the last term. I had to retake Year 12, this time replacing Biology with English Lang/Lit, which was what I wanted to do in the first place. Thankfully my mum has realised the consequence of pushing me too hard, but we still had a massive fight when I was filling out my UCAS form bc I refused to apply for anything she believes would get me a "good job".

Awh thank you
Yeah exactly "it's not about what you want it's about getting a good job that will pay and allow you to take care of your siblings"
Being the eldest man smh ¬_¬
I didn't apply this year because of all the arguments about it :/ but now I'm thinking should I just apply? ... oh well too late.
I take Geography, Biology and Chemistry.
As much as I HATE Geography, I somehow got an A at AS and am predicted an A*. So have to endure this bull**** subject just to get into uni, although my course has no purpose for this subject.
Wish I chose something like psychology or religious studies instead.
I do Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and ICT at AS and I regret taking Chemistry and I'm dropping it and carrying on with the other three! Don't need it to do biology at uni because psychology is accepted as a second science, plus I don't like it and it's quite difficult and time consuming and I ain't got time for that ish..
Regret not doing Physics and Further Maths lol. :ashamed:
Original post by z33
Awh thank you
Yeah exactly "it's not about what you want it's about getting a good job that will pay and allow you to take care of your siblings"
Being the eldest man smh ¬_¬
I didn't apply this year because of all the arguments about it :/ but now I'm thinking should I just apply? ... oh well too late.

omg don't make rash decisions. Trust me, uni isn't a joke. Idk about you but £9k a year isn't something I can chew easily. I didn't even want to apply bc it's so expensive but my parents If you're not ready to apply then just work on getting the best grades you can and apply next year.

Also hail your profile pic. Halsey is everything xx
Reply 38
Original post by Kaddy_Dee
omg don't make rash decisions. Trust me, uni isn't a joke. Idk about you but £9k a year isn't something I can chew easily. I didn't even want to apply bc it's so expensive but my parents If you're not ready to apply then just work on getting the best grades you can and apply next year.

Also hail your profile pic. Halsey is everything xx

Yeah good advice :smile: true 9k a year aint something i'd wanna be wasting :O

Yes she is the queeennn :biggrin: eeek a fellow Halsey fan *_*
Hi I know this has nothing to do with what your asking but do you have a coursework guide for the unit 2 coursework? I'm doing it online and there isn't really a success criteria coursework guide and I'm really stressing out! :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest