The Student Room Group

Economics- is it too competitive for me?

I'm aware that Cambridge and LSE (both have world class economics departments) have somewhere around 15% (give or take a few percent) acceptance rates. For Cambridge, it means it's the second most competitive course, behind only engineering. Economics sounds like a fascinating subject (I like how it combines so many different disciplines: maths, statistics, history, geography, law, politics etc.), but I'm worried that I might get rejected from all five of my university choices (Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham- could switch 1 and 2 around and 4 and 5 around) due to the sheer number of applicants- in my year alone there are already quite a few people considering it. Should I go for it anyway, or should I try and go for a related but different (and slightly less competitive) degree? I'd love to study it, but I have to be realistic about my chances.

I am currently in Year 12; my A Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.
Original post by Palette
I'm aware that Cambridge and LSE (both have world class economics departments) have somewhere around 15% (give or take a few percent) acceptance rates. For Cambridge, it means it's the second most competitive course, behind only engineering. Economics sounds like a fascinating subject (I like how it combines so many different disciplines: maths, statistics, history, geography, law, politics etc.), but I'm worried that I might get rejected from all five of my university choices (Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham- could switch 1 and 2 around and 4 and 5 around) due to the sheer number of applicants- in my year alone there are already quite a few people considering it. Should I go for it anyway, or should I try and go for a related but different (and slightly less competitive) degree? I'd love to study it, but I have to be realistic about my chances.

I am currently in Year 12; my A Levels are Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics.

There is a very strong possibility if you put these 5 universities down you could end up with no offers at all. It is very high risk. By all means choose 2 but make sure that your other universities are less competitive so you are at least guaranteed somewhere to go next year. It is not economics that is the problem but the fact all 5 are high risk universities for most subjects.
Original post by Palette

It depends how good you are. You can't really make a decision about this until after your AS results.
Reply 3
Can't you do an essay based subject like history instead of one if the others? Nit sure if that would help tho lel.
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
There is a very strong possibility if you put these 5 universities down you could end up with no offers at all. It is very high risk. By all means choose 2 but make sure that your other universities are less competitive so you are at least guaranteed somewhere to go next year. It is not economics that is the problem but the fact all 5 are high risk universities for most subjects.

Can you give me some examples of less competitive universities?
Original post by Palette
Can you give me some examples of less competitive universities?

if you check which university guide this will give the percentages each university accepts for the subject. Generally Oxbridge, Imperial, LSE, UCL, Durham and St Andrews usually have the lowest acceptance rates. Oxbridge it is usually 1 in 5, Imperial and LSE it is 1 in 6, UCL and Durham 1 in 2 or 1 in 3. Outside of these most make more offers than rejections. It might be worth looking at places like Bath, Exeter, Nottingham,Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Southampton and almost any other university and decide which 3 others you wish to apply for. The general advice is to go for 1 aspirational, 2 or 3 you are on the grades for and 1 or 2 insurance choices which have lower grades in case you get rejected or do not meet your grades.
Original post by Palette
May I ask, why do LSE and Imperial have higher rejection rates than Oxbridge?

Imperial doesn't do economics
And LSE's econ course is notoriously difficult to get onto. It's harder to get into Oxbridge because you not only need a stellar application but also a strong interview performance (LSE don't interview) but LSE's acceptance rate is lower, just because many candidates - no matter how good - get rejected because their personal statement is not convincing enough. I wouldn't focus too much on which is harder to get into; they're both world-class for econ and therefore both extremely competitive
Reply 7
Original post by tanyapotter
Imperial doesn't do economics
And LSE's econ course is notoriously difficult to get onto. It's harder to get into Oxbridge because you not only need a stellar application but also a strong interview performance (LSE don't interview) but LSE's acceptance rate is lower, just because many candidates - no matter how good - get rejected because their personal statement is not convincing enough. I wouldn't focus too much on which is harder to get into; they're both world-class for econ and therefore both extremely competitive

Is part of the reason why Cambridge Economics is so competitive (even by Cambridge standards) because Oxford doesn't offer Economics by itself, so all the top students who want to go to an Oxbridge university have to apply to Cambridge?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending