Binomial Distribution and Probability (S2) Watch

Munaf19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A database has 1,000,000 records, which occupy disk storage at a density of 10 records per block; that is, the database occupies 100,000 disk memory blocks, each block containing 10 database records. You are told that a weekly update modifies 3% of the records, and that each record is modified independently of the others, the changes being distributed uniformly across the records; that is, all records have the same probability of being modified during the weekly update.
Answer the following questions:
1. Consider a given block and let X be the random variable that counts the number of records (0 up to 10) of the block that are changed during the weekly update.
(a) Justify why X has a binomial distribution with parameters n = 10 (number of trials) and p = 0.03 (probability of success). (5 marks)
(b) Write a general expression for P(X = r), i.e., the probability that exactly r records in the given block are changed during the weekly update. (5 marks).
(c) What is the probability that the given block is changed during the weekly update? Justify your answer by presenting all cal- culations. You can use the following approximation: (0.97)10 = 0.73742. (25 marks)
2. What is the expected total number of blocks that are changed during
the weekly update?
(15 marks)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.64%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.21%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (94)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.05%

Watched Threads