Drug Addiction....Discuss Watch

Loyale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Drug addiction should be a criminal problem, not a medical one

Discuss

Should we treat drug addicts when our nhs is strained enough?

Or do we help individuals stuck in an endless cycle of pain
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How does treating drug addicts as criminals help the situation?

It will make them more likely to stay as drug addicts when they cannot get a job with a criminal record and turn to crime or just go on benefits in order to survive.
Loyale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
How does treating drug addicts as criminals help the situation?

It will make them more likely to stay as drug addicts when they cannot get a job with a criminal record and turn to crime or just go on benefits in order to survive.
But did the addicts not cause themselves to be be in that position therefore they should be guilty of the criminal act of taking the drugs and causing their own addiction.

By criminalising the addiction, it'll help send a stronger message out to society and prevent other individuals form being addicts

Prevention is better than cure
Schrodi's cat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Loyale)
But did the addicts not cause themselves to be be in that position therefore they should be guilty of the criminal act of taking the drugs and causing their own addiction.

By criminalising the addiction, it'll help send a stronger message out to society and prevent other individuals form being addicts

Actually many forms of "criminalising" addiction already exist, think about how many labels we use everyday.
Criminalising addiction won't work that out. If someone chooses to take drugs, in most cases there's something psychologically wrong with him/her. I mean how good is self destruction?

This is mostly a psychological problem.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Taking drugs is not illegal for a start.

Considering pretty much all recreational drugs are illegal, that hasn't worked in keeping down the numbers of users. In fact in the UK alone it is estimated that 1054 tonnes of cannabis is smoked ever year. The current policies do not work in prevention. The US have spent over $1 trillion on the war on drugs and have absolutely zero progress in getting rid of them. We need a new tactic.

With rehabilitation those former addicts could become functioning members of society rather than a drain on resources (police time, court time, the prisons etc...).

Addiction is a very interesting subject which isn't fully understood.
SmellyProtein
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lock em up and throw away the key.

I'm assuming we are talking about illegal drugs such as meth and heroin here......
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Drug addiction is 100% medical, people only become addicted to drugs because the pleasure centres of their brain is activated by the drug the first time the person tries it and the euphoria is normally so profound that the person in question takes the drug countless time again only to never reach the same stage of euphoria. Either that of the person is for one reason or another seeking for a distortion in their own reality because of an issue within their personal life.

I think Portugal have the right idea; legalise all drugs and the money that would be used to imprison offenders who are involved with drugs is instead used to rehabilitate the addict. I'm pretty sure the crime rate there has dropped significantly since the implementation of the aforementioned policy.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Drug addiction should be a criminal problem, not a medical one

Discuss

Should we treat drug addicts when our nhs is strained enough?

Or do we help individuals stuck in an endless cycle of pain
Err if you don't cure the addict he will continue with his behaviour and cost the system more on average in medical bills, benefits, policing and prison

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well the US seems to enjoy throwing people in prison for drug charged. All it had led to is a massive prison population. Perhaps a better approach is needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DavidYorkshireFTW
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Well the US seems to enjoy throwing people in prison for drug charged. All it had led to is a massive prison population. Perhaps a better approach is needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Portugal's drug policy seems much more effective.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Schrodi's cat)
Actually many forms of "criminalising" addiction already exist, think about how many labels we use everyday.
Criminalising addiction won't work that out. If someone chooses to take drugs, in most cases there's something psychologically wrong with him/her. I mean how good is self destruction?

This is mostly a psychological problem.
Naaaaaaah.

Generalisations like that don't help anyone. Out of the many people I know who take drugs on even a semi-regular basis, I'd say that only one or two of them exhibit behaviour when sober that would cause me to question how psychologically sound their mind is.

There are literally millions of people that take drugs every day, be it dropping a tab, sparking up, sniffing, or (let's not forget this one) drinking. I seriously doubt that most of them have psychological problems, most of us are just doing it for kicks or to relax.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Forced labour is the answer, they will pay for their own food until their very soon deaths from exhaustion (that's not just for drug charges, but for any indictable offence). This should result in smaller prison population so taxpayer's money could be spent somewhere else e.g. free education, better healthcare.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (44)
12.29%
Yes - a food allergy (39)
10.89%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
3.07%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.51%
No (255)
71.23%

Watched Threads