Asking about careers in Medicine and is Physics necessary?

Watch
Vish24xy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, I'm currently a year 11 student almost done with my GCSEs and about to choose my A levels. I have been interested in doing a career in Medicine and came to ask about the need for Physics. I don't take GCSE Physics, I do take GCSE Biology and Chemistry though and am considering taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths at A level. Will these A level options keep most Medical courses at university open for me? Do most of them require any Physics background? Thanks.
Frappé
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Everything you said is completely fine:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
llys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Frappé)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really, you don't need any Physics at GCSE level?
Vish24xy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frappé)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your help. I'm surprised that you wouldn't need GCSE Physics though.
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need Core+Additional Science at GCSE for many medicine courses if you didn't take them as separate sciences. Did you do any physics at all for GCSE? Even P1?
Argentinababy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No, you don't Physics GCSE.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Argentinababy)
No, you don't Physics GCSE.
I'd expect they'd want at least Double Science, which includes some Physics. I honestly don't know how they would react to two sciences only at GCSE, though perhaps some medical schools would be fine with it.

I think it would be safest to actually email some medical schools about this, OP.
Vish24xy
Rep:
?
(Original post by suirrel)
You need Core+Additional Science at GCSE for many medicine courses if you didn't take them as separate sciences. Did you do any physics at all for GCSE? Even P1?
No I didn't take any Physics at GCSE at all. In hindsight I should have though its too late to change that now.
Argentinababy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by llys)
I'd expect they'd want at least Double Science, which includes some Physics.
Some physics yes, but you don't need a seperate GCSE Physics. There's a big jump from general GCSE science to A-level Biology and Chemistry, so long as the OP focuses on making sure his/her AS Biology and Chemistry grades are good, s/he shouldn't have a problem/
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vish24xy)
Hello, I'm currently a year 11 student almost done with my GCSEs and about to choose my A levels. I have been interested in doing a career in Medicine and came to ask about the need for Physics. I don't take GCSE Physics, I do take GCSE Biology and Chemistry though and am considering taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Further Maths at A level. Will these A level options keep most Medical courses at university open for me? Do most of them require any Physics background? Thanks.
They're fine but be careful with Further Maths A-Level. A few Medical Schools don't count it as a separate subject so you could be limiting your options a little.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Argentinababy)
Some physics yes, but you don't need a seperate GCSE Physics. There's a big jump from general GCSE science to A-level Biology and Chemistry, so long as the OP focuses on making sure his/her AS Biology and Chemistry grades are good, s/he shouldn't have a problem/
Agreed, but OP does not do any Physics at GCSE, that's the point. She's doing only Biology and Chemistry, not Double Science.
Vish24xy
Rep:
?
(Original post by usycool1)
They're fine but be careful with Further Maths A-Level. A few Medical Schools don't count it as a separate subject so you could be limiting your options a little.
I see, I'll email some medical schools to ask about this. Thanks.
llys
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files...e_2011_1.1.pdf

This is for A-Level requirements, but some specify their GCSE requirements quite clearly as well. (Some mention Physics or Double Science at GCSE, some do not.)
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Vish24xy)
No I didn't take any Physics at GCSE at all. In hindsight I should have though its too late to change that now.
I would probably consider contacting medical schools and seeing what they say. Obviously, medicine has a very low physics content and the physics in it are covered by biology/chemistry lessons at a higher level. However, they will probably say that to improve your application, you should take a physics GCSE. You could either take this while you're at college, as some have the facilities to teach GCSEs alongside A levels, or take it as a private candidate and teach yourself the content/get a tutor if wanted. You could also take it via distance learning, however those courses often cost a LOT of money and at GCSE level, if you are bright then it is very possible to teach yourself.

I personally taught myself Additional Science in the last couple of months before the exam (started seriously in March-ish) and got a B grade overall, which was not helped by a D grade in the ISA, haha. I used BBC bitesize a hell of a lot, this textbook/workbook Image

to learn the content and then past paper'd myself to a decent grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
12.82%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (73)
62.39%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
11.97%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (12)
10.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.56%

Watched Threads