School attendance Watch

This discussion is closed.
vwilmot
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
School attendance can be a big problem with older children at secondary school. Should all secondary school children be paid their Child Benefit for attending school, and be fined for truancy by not getting this ? See www.social-exclusion-housing.com
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by vwilmot)
School attendance can be a big problem with older children at secondary school. Should all secondary school children be paid their Child Benefit for attending school, and be fined for truancy by not getting this ? See www.social-exclusion-housing.com
That actually sounds like a good idea. I know some parents who have loads of kids and live off child benefit, but are not too bothered if their kids spend all day at school or in town.

If you can hit them where it hurts (the wallet), truancy will become a lot less common.
giddylid1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
If you can hit them where it hurts (the wallet), truancy will become a lot less common.
LOL thats very true, cos then they will start losing money and will be unable to go up town!!! What a clever idea, at last!!!!!!!! (me hate education system thingy)

Lyd
Surfing Hamster
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
However..

Sometimes truancy can stem from a number of problems (ie bullying) which need to be sorted out with reasoning before issuing fines.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
not really a good idea if you think of the consequences.....

people buy esentials with the money such as bread milk and food.... if you give this to kids in poor backgrounds... they will spend it on drink/****/drugs.....consequence...no food.

whether they are in school or not then becomes an irrelevence.

love Katy ***
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
No, teachers shouldn't be so forceful when it comes to attendance.

I'm 19 now, but when I was at school, I remember wasting so much time doing nothing, when I could have been completing work in other subjects for closer deadlines.

There are good students out there who don't deserve to be penalised by a threatening, faceless and pointless system. They should be recognised and treated like adults. They should have freedom of choice and free-will - something they will certainly experience when they leave school.

You probably learn more at home or on the computer than you do at school.
vwilmot
Kids attending secondary school now get nothing for doing so,
it would be more responsible and adult for them all to have a right to getting their Child Benefit for attending school - a fair days pay. For
poor children especially it could improve their attendance and much more. I believe that parents could handle this and should favour this.
giddylid1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Kids attending secondary school now get nothing for doing so,
it would be more responsible and adult for them all to have a right to getting their Child Benefit for attending school - a fair days pay. For
poor children especially it could improve their attendance and much more. I believe that parents could handle this and should favour this.
I agree with the poor people bit.
However, when I go to college I will get something called Education Maintainence allowance. Going to secondary school is compulsary, but going to college is not, so you get paid for going there.
Hope that makes sense to someone.
Lyd
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by giddylid1)
However, when I go to college I will get something called Education Maintainence allowance. .... you get paid for going there.
*Takes a giant step back*

WHAT? Getting paid for going to college ? Is this something that is going off in a pilot scheme where you are, I remember hearing that it was happening in Newcastle and people getting £50 a week or something.

The problem is Notts didn't employ it, and if they were it was only for lower earning families.

So I got no more money than my Child Maintainence entitled me to for attending 6th Form - and now that stops in the first week of September.
giddylid1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
*Takes a giant step back*

WHAT? Getting paid for going to college ? Is this something that is going off in a pilot scheme where you are, I remember hearing that it was happening in Newcastle and people getting £50 a week or something.
Yes, it's just a pilot scheme at the moment, and the most anyone can get a week is £40, but next september they are reducing it to £30. The amount you get depends on your parents annual income.
Lyd
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by giddylid1)
The amount you get depends on your parents annual income.
Lyd
Wouldn't be entitled to anything anyway then, even though it'd just be my Dad's income taken into account - it's only his that's gone on the Finance Forms for Uni, and he's over the max fees threshold
CR3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
that is nuts!! u got payed to go to college!!

CR
giddylid1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by CR3)
that is nuts!! u got payed to go to college!!

CR
not been to college yet, but I will be doing, my brother got around £30 a week, so I may also get that.
Does anyone else get EMA or anything?
Lyd
Adhsur
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I get £30 a week from the council for doing A levels... That's the lovely EMA.
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah, I was also entitled to EMA.
vwilmot
(Original post by Adhsur)
I get £30 a week from the council for doing A levels... That's the lovely EMA.
All secondary schooling including post-16 would come under my secondary scheme wage for all scheme, at a higher rate and without means-testing because that can worsen social exclusion for the poor.

The only means-testing done should be for income support and tax credits, and those on income support should get free Tv licenses and passports - as my site www.social-exclusion-housing.com ?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
All secondary schooling including post-16 would come under my secondary scheme wage for all scheme, at a higher rate and without means-testing because that can worsen social exclusion for the poor.

The only means-testing done should be for income support and tax credits, and those on income support should get free Tv licenses and passports - as my site www.social-exclusion-housing.com ?
Not post 16 because this is optional. If they can't be arsed turning up, don't bribe them, it's their future.

At my school's sixth form (of which I am not yet a student) they give some people a free bus pass so that it is cheaper to come to school. This saves people about £300 a year and is good because my school is near a deprived area and some of the more intelligent students from that area can come to our sixth form, which is much better than the one in their area and not have to worry about cost.

That said, the sixth form has a uniform which costs about £60.
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
That said, the sixth form has a uniform which costs about £60.
Now that's unfortunate. Not the cost of the Uniform, thats pretty standard, but the fact there is a uniform in the first place.

Nasty.
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Expression)
Now that's unfortunate. Not the cost of the Uniform, thats pretty standard, but the fact there is a uniform in the first place.

Nasty.
I have a Sixth Form uniform too but mine is fairly ugly and the sixths formers chose it.

Polo Top - Dog tooth black and white with sixth form logo. which is horrible.

Sweatshirt - Pretty Normal - Black with sixth form logo.

However, like most sixth formers I will not be seen dead in the Polo Top. So I will be wearing.

White Blouse - 2 From New Look and 1 From George at Adsa (only £4 at Asda!)

Sixth Form Tie - Tie (yuck!!!!). Black with the roman no. VI on it.

Trousers - Due to shortess, I buy short black trousers at either Dorthery Perkins or Adsa. I found a lovely pair at Adsa for £6 each (bargin!)

This year, because I found cheap but nice clothes...my uniform is coming to £65 quid (including shoes (£35) which my grandparents brought from Clarks) instead of the usual £80.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by a_musical_gal)
I have a Sixth Form uniform too but mine is fairly ugly and the sixths formers chose it.

Polo Top - Dog tooth black and white with sixth form logo. which is horrible.

Sweatshirt - Pretty Normal - Black with sixth form logo.

However, like most sixth formers I will not be seen dead in the Polo Top. So I will be wearing.

White Blouse - 2 From New Look and 1 From George at Adsa (only £4 at Asda!)

Sixth Form Tie - Tie (yuck!!!!). Black with the roman no. VI on it.

Trousers - Due to shortess, I buy short black trousers at either Dorthery Perkins or Adsa. I found a lovely pair at Adsa for £6 each (bargin!)

This year, because I found cheap but nice clothes...my uniform is coming to £65 quid (including shoes (£35) which my grandparents brought from Clarks) instead of the usual £80.
Our sixth form has a proper uniform. Black blazer, black trousers, white shirt and black/red/strange yellow-goldy colour.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.64%
Excited (155)
9.16%
Worried (304)
17.96%
Terrified (376)
22.21%
Meh (162)
9.57%
Confused (37)
2.19%