CoolMan1999x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Yo, im new here ..

I dont understand some points in the edexcel physics IAL specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...ion_Issue1.pdf

first in 1.4 18)they say: understand the term terminal velocity, upthrust and viscous drag, for example, in transport design and manufacturing
what do they mean by that? as in applications? but what applications can these three terms have in transport design and manufacturing?

and in 1.4 26) they say explain how these properties are used in a variety of applications, for example safety, clothing and foodstuffs.... what is an application for materials with brittle and/or stiff and/or hard properties?

Thanx
murray.cobb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoolMan1999x)
Yo, im new here ..

I dont understand some points in the edexcel physics IAL specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...ion_Issue1.pdf

first in 1.4 18)they say: understand the term terminal velocity, upthrust and viscous drag, for example, in transport design and manufacturing
what do they mean by that? as in applications? but what applications can these three terms have in transport design and manufacturing?

and in 1.4 26) they say explain how these properties are used in a variety of applications, for example safety, clothing and foodstuffs.... what is an application for materials with brittle and/or stiff and/or hard properties?

Thanx
First of all I would worry about understanding the concepts and try doing the exercises from the book, if you get stuck try going on the internet as there is plenty of information there aswell. Once you start doing past papers you will come up with questions relating to transport, manufacturing, safety and you'll start to learn how to apply these concepts.
For example in chocolate manufacturing plants they normally have melted chocolate flowing through pipes and the more viscous the melted chocolate is the higher the force it will experience due to viscous drag, and this will affect how fast the liquid flows through the pipe and therefore the production rate. They don't expect you to know much about all this, just have a basic understanding of what viscous drag is, once you start going through past papers you will get more confident with the topic.
An example (in tranport) is that as aeroplanes increase their speed they experience a higher force due to viscous drag, until the point where the force generated by the engine equals the opposing force due to viscous drag, at this point the acceleration of the aeroplane is 0 and therefore reaches a terminal velocity (this means that the velocity will stop increasing and will remain constant unless a higher force is generated by the engine), and this will affect the time it takes to complete a journey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (158)
17.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (529)
59.37%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.25%

Watched Threads