Platopus
Badges: 19
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have two interviews next Wednesday (and a test on the Tuesday). My school has told me that I HAVE to wear formal wear (i.e. a suit skirt and blazer). But I've been doing some research and it sounds like most people go wearing casual clothes. I don't want to look weird so I don't know what I should wear. Really, I'd be most comfortable just going in jeans and a jumper but I'm scared that the interviewers will be dressed formally. What do most candidates wear? I'd be interested in hearing from other girls particularly.
digitalangel18
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unless it's an arty uni (in your case not exactly) I wouldn't wear jeans to an interview. Think of it like a job interview, you don't need to wear a boring white button up blouse by maybe something different in pink or blue etc and wear smart black trousers that don't flair at the bottom but like these:

http://media.very.co.uk/i/very/B948P_SP141_01_4ENYA

Check asos or wear a fitted smart dress like this shape (not the grim colour):

http://www.asos.com/Closet/Closet-Pe...234&gridsize=3

Honestly if other people that have interviewed at Cambridge say it's smart, don't wear jeans.
samina_ay
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't wear jeans. Wear slim fit trousers and a jumper - you've just got to look presentable
Platopus
Ok so formal wear for the interview - got it. Do you think I have to wear formal clothes for the test too?
Platopus
(Original post by digitalangel18)
Unless it's an arty uni (in your case not exactly) I wouldn't wear jeans to an interview. Think of it like a job interview, you don't need to wear a boring white button up blouse by maybe something different in pink or blue etc and wear smart black trousers that don't flair at the bottom but like these:

http://media.very.co.uk/i/very/B948P_SP141_01_4ENYA

Check asos or wear a fitted smart dress like this shape (not the grim colour):

http://www.asos.com/Closet/Closet-Pe...234&gridsize=3

Honestly if other people that have interviewed at Cambridge say it's smart, don't wear jeans.
(Original post by samina_ay)
Don't wear jeans. Wear slim fit trousers and a jumper - you've just got to look presentable
Ok so formal wear for the interview - got it. Do you think I have to wear formal clothes for the test too?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Platopus)
I have two interviews next Wednesday (and a test on the Tuesday). My school has told me that I HAVE to wear formal wear (i.e. a suit skirt and blazer). But I've been doing some research and it sounds like most people go wearing casual clothes. I don't want to look weird so I don't know what I should wear. Really, I'd be most comfortable just going in jeans and a jumper but I'm scared that the interviewers will be dressed formally. What do most candidates wear? I'd be interested in hearing from other girls particularly.
For Cambridge? Wear whatever you feel most comfortable in. That's the official advice.

So jeans and a jumper are absolutely fine! Note that the interview/test rooms may be warm, or cool ... so wearing layers is a good idea.

You do not have to wear formal clothes. Some do, most don't.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...rviews-involve

"What should I wear?
You're not being assessed on your clothes or appearance so there's no need to dress formally, and it's not necessary to wear a suit. On the other hand, you might not want to look as though you're going to the gym or for a night out! The best rule to follow is to wear whatever you feel comfortable in and don't be put off by what other people choose to wear to their interview."
username1865079
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As @jneill said, wear whatever you're comfortable in. It's NOT like a job interview. They don't care about or judge you by what you're wearing. The only thing they are interested is your academic ability and potential. Nothing else.
I've seen all sorts of outfit: some in suits, some with t-shirt/jumper/hoodies and jeans, some with a jacket and trousers/skirt, etc.

And most of the interviewers do not wear suits because they do not want to make the atmosphere too formal and make interviewees even more nervous. They want you to be as comfortable and relaxed as possible, and that's the only thing they care.
foreignbloke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolute rubbish with the clothes. Obviously don't wear tracksuits etc., but there's absolutely no necessity to wear a suit. I wore navy chinos, my usual sneakers and a navy knitted top to my interview and got in fine.
13Law
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Doesn't actually matter: i was the only one on the day that didn't wear a suit (though I still had a shirt and some corduroys on) and was the only one of that batch that got in.People really stress out too much over this.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 13Law)
Doesn't actually matter: i was the only one on the day that didn't wear a suit (though I still had a shirt and some corduroys on) and was the only one of that batch that got in.People really stress out too much over this.
I think people tend to wear suits if they think it'll cover up their nervousness... better to be more human and wear normal clothes than look like a formally-dressed automaton
foreignbloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Never ever ever ever ever ever wear a suit to a Cambridge interview. That's like putting "Origins of the Second World War" by A.J.P. Taylor or "Wealth of Nations" by A. Smith on your history or economics personal statement respectively.
13Law
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alexion)
I think people tend to wear suits if they think it'll cover up their nervousness... better to be more human and wear normal clothes than look like a formally-dressed automaton
i actually heard of someone applying to St Catz, wearing a three piece and a St Catz tie... he did not get in haha.

So what you wear doesn't augment your chances of getting in... though it could negatively affect your chances if you wear something as ludicrously absurd as what that guy wore.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 13Law)
i actually heard of someone applying to St Catz, wearing a three piece and a St Catz tie... he did not get in haha.

So what you wear doesn't augment your chances of getting in... though it could negatively affect your chances if you wear something as ludicrously absurd as what that guy wore.
:rofl:

Yeah, pretty much :') just gotta be human about it.
username1865079
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 13Law)

I'm pretty sure the reason he didn't get in was not to do with his attire.
13Law
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by vincrows)
I'm pretty sure the reason he didn't get in was not to do with his attire.
No of course not, but the clothes couldn't've helped
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by foreignbloke)
Never ever ever ever ever ever wear a suit to a Cambridge interview. That's like putting "Origins of the Second World War" by A.J.P. Taylor or "Wealth of Nations" by A. Smith on your history or economics personal statement respectively.
Not at all.

You certainly don't have to wear a suit, but there is nothing unusual about wearing a suit to an interview.
timelizard
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well I had mine on monday and I wore black jeans, a black button up and a blue duster jacket
smart casual i'd say. quite a few guys were in suits, girls were just dressed nicely(e.g. skirt/trousers, jumper and coat etc)

don't stress
Platopus
(Original post by timelizard)
well I had mine on monday and I wore black jeans, a black button up and a blue duster jacket
smart casual i'd say. quite a few guys were in suits, girls were just dressed nicely(e.g. skirt/trousers, jumper and coat etc)

don't stress
Thanks had my interviews today and in the end I just went with smart black trousers and a jumper and it was fine. On the other hand, the interviews themselves, well... That was a different matter!
foreignbloke
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chief Wiggum)
Not at all.

You certainly don't have to wear a suit, but there is nothing unusual about wearing a suit to an interview.
Go on wearing it to supervisions then. See what I mean?
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by foreignbloke)
Go on wearing it to supervisions then. See what I mean?
Yeah I see what you mean, but I'm not sure that logically follows... Whilst I am well aware what you wear will not make a difference to getting an offer, an interview is different from a supervision.

Turn up to your interview hung over from going out the night before, check for any text messages on your phone while the interviewers are preparing at the start, make a few jokes at the end? Wouldn't really work...

An interview is more formal than a supervision. Wearing a suit at an interview is perfectly normal (and is indeed standard practice for jobs etc), but wearing one at a normal supervision would certainly be considered rather strange.

Obvs you don't have to wear a suit for a Cambridge interview, I was just disputing the fact that it's viewed as "bad" to wear one, which I'd disagree with. I'd say it makes no difference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (184)
43.6%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (33)
7.82%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (89)
21.09%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (42)
9.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.92%

Watched Threads