The Student Room Group

Chances of getting into Harvard/Stanford/Yale/Columbia?

Hey guys, I am in Year 13 and am applying to study in the US. I know it's really competitive, but I might as well try, so it would be great to have some opinions :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lara24
Hey guys, I am in Year 13 and am applying to study in the US. I know it's really competitive, but I might as well try, so it would be great to have some opinions :smile:

IGCSEs: 12 A*

AS: AAABB in Maths, Biology, Spanish, Chemistry, Art

I'm taking Maths, Biology Chemistry and Further Maths AS this year (because I am applying for Economics, and some top UK universities require FM)

Predicted A*AA (A in Further)

I barely have any extracurriculars because my school is tiny so we don't have many clubs:

Coaching tennis on weekends (but I haven't won any competitions, I play for fun) Science prefect
Debate Club
I did Young Enterprise last year and my group did pretty well, winning most innovative product
Piano lessons - and I've done up to grade 4, but stopped doing grades because they're boring- but I play pieces up to grade 8
I love art, so I was wondering if I could submit some of my AS art as a portfolio even though I haven't been part of any art competitions? - I go to life drawing club too
I volunteer at a school near mine helping kids read, with homework etc.

work experience- doing administrative work for 2 weeks at a dermatology clinic.

I also have an academic scholarship (although money won't be a problem for my parents, so maybe that will be in my favour)

Honours and prizes- I've won Spanish, Biology and Chemistry school prizes

I've taken the ACT once, and got a 30, so I'm working on it.
SAT subject tests: Biology 740and Math II 650 (but retaking)

Also about being diverse, I'm a British-Egyptian, and lived in Egypt until I was 4, so Arabic is my first language.

Would I have a decent chance at any of these schools?
Thanks

The average ACT at those schools is 34. The average SAT Subject test is above 750.
Original post by lara24

I'm taking Maths, Biology Chemistry and Further Maths AS this year (because I am applying for Economics, and some top UK universities require FM)

I barely have any extracurriculars because my school is tiny so we don't have many clubs:

Coaching tennis on weekends (but I haven't won any competitions, I play for fun) Science prefect
Debate Club
I did Young Enterprise last year and my group did pretty well, winning most innovative product
Piano lessons - and I've done up to grade 4, but stopped doing grades because they're boring- but I play pieces up to grade 8
I love art, so I was wondering if I could submit some of my AS art as a portfolio even though I haven't been part of any art competitions? - I go to life drawing club too

I also have an academic scholarship (although money won't be a problem for my parents, so maybe that will be in my favour)

Also about being diverse, I'm a British-Egyptian, and lived in Egypt until I was 4, so Arabic is my first language.

Thanks

If truth be told your profile isn't as strong:

1) You're being predicted A*AA based on AAABB AS Levels. The going rate for Oxbridge is A*A*A and most will be offering A*A*A*. If you are not on Oxbridge level then you'd struggle to get an offer from the Ivies/Stanford/MIT etc.

2) Your ECs are not great in that there is nothing outstanding or unique about them. Anyone can play for fun but you don't seem to offer anything beyond the recreational aspect. You claim to play Grade 8 level pieces what evidence do you have to back any of this up? Have you played concerts, received awards etc?

3) Your ACT and SAT scores fall below the average for those universities so lots to work on there.

4) The diversity bit there made me laugh. Sure they're keen to diversify intake but if your profile is below the going rate you won't get a look in.

So you're not in an impossible situation but plenty of room for improvement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lara24

Debate Club

Thanks

Hello.

Please do not listen to the previous posters. You do not need perfect grades nor do you need perfect scores on the SAT or ACT. 30 and 740+ puts you in a good enough position to consider applying. You should try to retake the ACT but your subject tests aren't that weak. However, I think retaking Math II is a good idea. The 60 point difference in 740-800 is not going to mean much to these places.

I applied to places in America, three of those you listed actually (all bar Columbia). Your ECs are fine. Focus on your Essay and doing well. Your AS are also fine as are your A2 predictions.

Good luck,

Jay
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
Hello.

Please do not listen to the previous posters. You do not need perfect grades nor do you need perfect scores on the SAT or ACT. 30 and 740+ puts you in a good enough position to consider applying. You should try to retake the ACT but your subject tests aren't that week. However, I think retaking Math II is a good idea. The 60 point difference in 740-800 is not going to mean much to these places.

I applied to places in America, three of those you listed actually (all bar Columbia). Your ECs are fine. Focus on your Essay and doing well. Your AS are also fine as are your A2 predictions.

Good luck,

Jay

Do you have offers from Ivy League schools or are a student at any of them?

As someone who studied at and graduated from an Ivy League school and familiar with how the admissions process works, I know what I am talking about.

I never said the OP needed a perfect CV but the truth is it isn't a very strong application.
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
As someone who studied at and graduated from an Ivy League school and familiar with how the admissions process works, I know what I am talking about.

With respect, I don't think having a MLA from Penn entitles you to any special knowledge.
Do you have offers from Ivy League schools or are a student at any of them?

I never said the OP needed a perfect CV but the truth is it isn't a very strong application.

Going through the process doesn't mean you know anything particular.

I have family members at Harvard, some who teach, and I have had indepth discussions with the admissions officers of some of the Ivy League schools and do not agree with your cock-sure tone.
Original post by Snufkin
With respect, I don't think having a MLA from Penn entitles you to any special knowledge.

Oh and of course you're a beacon of knowledge right with your degree in notweigian?
(edited 8 years ago)
Going through the process doesn't mean you know anything particular.

I have family members at Harvard, some who teach, and I have had indepth discussions with the admissions officers of some of the Ivy League schools and do not agree with your cock-sure tone.

No but working with admissions and outreach programmes additionally does put me in a right position to judge. You call it being cocksure I call it being realistic. I never said the OP had no chance it's just his application could be stronger.
Original post by lara24

Coaching tennis on weekends
Science prefect
Debate Club
I did Young Enterprise last year won most innovative product
Piano lessons - and I've done up to grade 4
I love art, so I was wondering if I could submit some of my AS art as a portfolio even though I haven't been part of any art competitions?
I go to life drawing club

Thanks

To be honest, with that ACT and those subject tests, I would be shocked if they offered you a place. To get below 750 in a subject test is pretty poor, considering how easy they are - especially considering that people in top tier universities typically have minimum 750s. Your ACT is borderline 25th percentile for the worse Ivy Leagues (e.g. cornell), whereas the universities that you have listed have 25th percentiles of 31/32.
http://blog.prepscholar.com/whats-a-good-sat-/-act-score-for-the-ivy-league-whats-the-lowest-score-i-can-get-in-with
You'd better do something to boost that ACT, and those subject tests.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
No but working with admissions and outreach programmes additionally does put me in a right position to judge. You call it being cocksure I call it being realistic. I never said the OP had no chance it's just his application could be stronger.

No, you just sound like a typical TSRian/College Confidential guy who tells people that they don't have good chances unless they are perfect :lol:.

I have spoken to actual admissions officers and their views seem to oppose yours and considering they're from a school the person has directly mentioned, I don't think what I'm saying is inaccurate or to be dismissed.
No, you just sound like a typical TSRian/College Confidential guy who tells people that they don't have good chances unless they are perfect :lol:.

I have spoken to actual admissions officers and their views seem to oppose yours and considering they're from a school the person has directly mentioned, I don't think what I'm saying is inaccurate or to be dismissed.

Nowhere did I say the OP needed a perfect profile. Find those words in my replies. What I said was or implied was that there will be stronger applicants and therefore didn't want to give false hope. That's not being a TSR guy as you put, that's just stating the facts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nowhere did I say the OP needed a perfect profile. Find those words in my replies. What I said was or implied was that there will be stronger applicants and therefore didn't want to give false hope. That's not being a TSR guy as you put, that's just stating the facts.

You implied perfection was necessary. For a Penn graduate, your attitude is quite poor. I am far from illiterate and stupid? Excellent; of course you know enough about me to call me both of those things.

You have not stated facts, you have told the applicant false information.

I don't wish to speak to you any further, I've said my bit and you have said yours. You've resorted to personal attacks - I have not. How you got into Penn, I don't know.
(edited 8 years ago)
You implied perfection was necessary. For a Penn graduate, your attitude is quite poor. I am far from illiterate and stupid? Excellent; of course you know enough about me to call me both of those things.

I don't wish to speak to you any further, I've said my bit and you have said yours. You've resorted to personal attacks - I have not. How you got into Penn, I don't know.

Personal attacks? You are the one who resorted to those as such and yet again you make assumptions and allegations. As you will see from posts by other users and simple google searches will tell you the fierce competition there is for places at Ivy League schools where more often than not candidates present with excellent if not the best grades and ECs going. This isn't me being cocksure or poo-pooing on the OP.

I never said the OP had zero chance but you can't say for one moment there are no aspects of the application they can't improve even in the 12 months remaining prior to submission of an application. To lie to the OP and give them some kind of false assurance that they would be a dead very for an offer is not only ridiculous but unprofessional and disgusting.

Sure you can resort to attacks on me about my background and degree etc but I base my opinion based on what I have seen firsthand, having working with admissions and outreach initiatives and with professors etc.

That you keep alleging I insinuated the PP needed to be perfect makes me wonder about the level of your intellect.

I will end on this note:

OP your profile is good but it can be stronger and there is absolutely no harming looking at ways to improve your application of it means 12 months down the line you get an offer from the college of your choice. You don't need 100% in exams yo be and international footballer but excelling in more ways than one makes you stand out from the 1000s who will be applying.

OP your profile is good but it can be stronger and there is absolutely no harming looking at ways to improve your application of it means 12 months down the line you get an offer from the college of your choice. You don't need 100% in exams yo be and international footballer but excelling in more ways than one makes you stand out from the 1000s who will be applying.

Good, that's better.

No problem now.
Good, that's better.

No problem now.

That's what I said in the first place but o guess in this PC world..... Never mind.

Well at least he got in :P
Oh and of course you're a beacon of knowledge right with your degree in notweigian?

I don't claim any particular knowledge, only what I've read and picked up over the years. The point is that you haven't experienced the undergraduate admissions process yourself therefore it is a little disingenuous to suggest you know more about UG admissions than anyone else here. You say you worked with admissions, what exactly did you do?

Don't admissions officers have a vested interest in increasing applications, though, whether or not those applicants have a chance in hell of admittance? The applications/admits ratio plays a fairly large role in rankings.

Basically, they certainly aren't giving you the unvarnished truth. You might want to apply a little of that withering skepticism to your own sources.
(edited 8 years ago)
hahahahahahaha omg i literally grabbed some marshmallows to eat while i read all that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending