Grade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
When we engage with media we both act and are acted upon, use and are used.’Consider how much control audiences have in relation to their use of media products from your cross-media study. Support your answer with reference to a range of examples from three media platforms.

(32 marks)

Can someone please help me with this question. I've got a Media Mock exam coming up this Tuesday and we have to research this question. But I'm clueless on what to do for it and how to answer it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Start by considering your own use of media platforms, what engaging with those platforms means, how you control your experience or are controlled.
Grade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Start by considering your own use of media platforms, what engaging with those platforms means, how you control your experience or are controlled.
Thank you.

What do they mean by 'your cross-media study'?

Am I supposed to study something across three platforms. Or something
tiredbean
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I googled the question and your paper is AQA if I'm I'm right? I'm doing a different one(WJEC) however I'll try and help. What I try and do is take apart the question and try and establish what they're asking me.

"When we engage with media we both act and are acted upon, use and are used"
This is the question this is asking you, everything you answer should go back to this.

"Consider how much control audiences have in relation to their use of media products "
Control Audiences: This is asking if an audience is passive/active and if they agree with the ideologies which are being portrayed

"from your cross-media study. Support your answer with reference to a range of examples from three media platforms. "

For each Media platform(Such as TV,Film, Music Videos,Trailers) I'd talk about 1/2 case study for each however go into much detail as possible.

How I'd answer the question is:
-Establish the demographic/psychographic of the text and what ideology they're trying to represent.
-Establish my point( I believe this text does/doesn't have an active/passive audience etc) You could also talk about how what a different audience thinks about the media text; (EG: Parents might be an active audience towards Miley Cyrus- Wreaking Ball as they don't agree with the ideologies portrayed) - However only talk about one audience.
-Talk about mirco/marco elements and how that links to your point (Eg: "The extreme close up shot of ... shows the emotional response towards the audience and the artist. This can make the audience more passive as there's a human connection)
-Go back to my point and see if a theory supports this(This is good if you're aiming for B/A)
-Then go back to the original question
-Then when moving on to my next case study, I'll put a connective, like "However, this text believes that.."

What my tip is, is have a focus. For example; Stick to one group such as age or gender or ethnicity etc .You can build up more of an argument if you stick to one.
Good luck and tell me how it goes!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads