The Student Room Group

A Levels for a Master Degree in Physics at Oxford

Hi everyone,

So I have my eyes set on Oxford University to do an MPhys most probably in particle or astrophysics. Currently I am doing AS Maths, Further Maths and Year 1 Business and Physics. All the modules I have covered so far in maths and further maths appear easy enough so long as I revise (of course.) Physcis A Level is not a problem as I am naturally talented at Physics.

But do I drop an A Level in my second year or do I try and do all four (I would drop further maths if any.) And also, just how much does Oxford value work experience that is relevant? Would they look down on me for not having an A Level in Further Maths and only the AS Level?

Any advice will be appreciated and used!

Ewan.
Original post by EwanatTSR
Hi everyone,

So I have my eyes set on Oxford University to do an MPhys most probably in particle or astrophysics. Currently I am doing AS Maths, Further Maths and Year 1 Business and Physics. All the modules I have covered so far in maths and further maths appear easy enough so long as I revise (of course.) Physcis A Level is not a problem as I am naturally talented at Physics.

But do I drop an A Level in my second year or do I try and do all four (I would drop further maths if any.) And also, just how much does Oxford value work experience that is relevant? Would they look down on me for not having an A Level in Further Maths and only the AS Level?

Any advice will be appreciated and used!

Ewan.

If you drop a subject, drop business. I strongly suggest that you do not drop Further Maths - this will not look good on your application, given how mathematically intense the course is. If you can get work experience then that's great but it's not required and it probably wouldn't give your application any significant advantage (that's not to say that it's not worth doing, it'll give you benefits, it just won't necessarily improve your chances of getting into Oxford).

Quick Reply