Any students on the Indie Games course?

Watch
jaffameister
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I found out about the course at EGX Rezzed earlier this year, and was immediately interested. After attending an open evening and talking with the tutors I felt confident enough to make it one of my options.
But I've been looking through the University ratings and became slightly concerned by both the scores that Solent have received and some horror stories from other students. However, I've also seen a post on a thread about four weeks ago saying that the Games Art course at least is pretty good, so I'm taking it as a case of it being on a course-by-course basis in terms of the quality. Should I go with this? Or should I prioritize my other University choice of Sussex?
Solent University, Southampton Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jaffameister)
I found out about the course at EGX Rezzed earlier this year, and was immediately interested. After attending an open evening and talking with the tutors I felt confident enough to make it one of my options.
But I've been looking through the University ratings and became slightly concerned by both the scores that Solent have received and some horror stories from other students. However, I've also seen a post on a thread about four weeks ago saying that the Games Art course at least is pretty good, so I'm taking it as a case of it being on a course-by-course basis in terms of the quality. Should I go with this? Or should I prioritize my other University choice of Sussex?
Hi there,

It's pretty hard to know exactly what you're course is going to be like - I'm a recent graduate from the Advertising course at Solent and I'm not exaggerating when I say I couldn't of asked more from a course.

The problem with Solent, as the same with lots of universities - is that people think that university will be as easy as it was in A level or even as easy as it was in GCSE. Those who don't really grow a passion for the course and begin to lose interest begin to develop horror stories because tutors don't spoon feed the answers anymore.

University is for independent study, which a lot of students seem to miss - if you don't show progress in your assignments or show to any of the tutorial sessions: the less your tutor will be able to help and guide you in the right direction, as they aren't there to chase you - like they do in school/college.

At Solent, I found that different students have extremely different experiences and it's a lot of factors that influence. Personally, I had a good course group, friendly lecturers and everyone had passion for the course. Some didn't find it as engaging because they where just at uni because they didn't want a full time job and others didn't like it purely because they couldn't get an amazing grade by never showing up.

Sorry I can't help with the particular course, but I can share my experiences and how I really loved being at Solent. It's a very inclusive university - you're a name and a friendly face rather than just a number on an assignment sheet. If you've got real passion for scripting, graphics and the development in Indie Games, you'll love the course.

Kath .
jacki112
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I am doing game development (Indie development) which ties very closely with the Indie course in the first semester. We are all currently doing the same units at the moment, and I believe the change will be mid-january when my programming fundamentals and maths units end and I start the object oriented development unit and game physics.

Personally, I haven't had a good time here. Solent hires industry professionals over academics, so don't expect a good teaching experience. Lecture powerpoints seem to be recycled every year, and are insanely boring. My current maths & programming teacher (The same person) is quite frankly a complete wally - his lecture slides and word docs are from 2008 - 2013 and aren't even his, and the previous guy's presentation skills are even worse. Powerpoints are always a mess and are never explained well. Programming exercises are lengthy and boring in the 9am classes we have.

At Solent most courses will have some sort of 'Group Projects' unit. In which the assessment is yourself, like a diary after each session. I was patronised heavily by the lecturer, Nick, over an email regarding me asking him where do I upload said diary. I generally find him uncomfortable to speak to, and I don't think he is a very nice person whatsoever.

Southampton itself isn't very nice, you have to walk through a sketchy park and in the winter when you have 6pm ending lectures it's not very nice to walk through. The halls are also absolutely horrific, I am staying in Chantry and every floor smells of weed / armpits. Always noisy at night and the security guards don't give a damn.

Again, choice is up to you to where you want to go. But I would not recommend here. I initially looked at Plymouth, halls looked nice, university was very modern. Wish I had gone there.
This place is not really worth the £9000 + £4500 (rent) a year to be taught by wallies and have a bad time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (63)
12.3%
Virtual campus tours/open days (120)
23.44%
Live streaming events (46)
8.98%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (50)
9.77%
A uni comparison tool (119)
23.24%
An in-person event when available (114)
22.27%