The Student Room Group

Why is male virgnity scorned but female virginity prized?

I can't understand why this is; can someone explain the discrepancy here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

For females, losing virginity early can result in pregnancy too early.

For males, losing virginity means they have been validated by the female species.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
For females, losing virginity early can result in pregnancy too early.

For males, losing virginity means they have been validated by the female species.

using protection renders the pregnancy point redundant.

and the latter point can be easily reversed.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal

I understand that protection renders pregnancy redundant. However you need to understand that female virginity was prized long ago before contraception was effective. It isn't a recent value, but an old one that hasn't yet caught up to modern advances in contraception.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal

As to the latter point being reversed, it is well known that females were, in the past at least, the more selective sex when it comes to sex.

This is because again, traditionally women had to be more careful with who they slept with as it would mean they could fall pregnant and not be able to reproduce with another for up to 9 months.

Again, with contraception, the facts have changed, but again, remember men were praised for losing their virginity long before contraception existed, and thus when women were more selective. Again values haven't caught up with the modern tech.
(edited 8 years ago)
Female virginity is prized because it's a marker of dignity and self-respect. A woman who is pure and untainted is highly sought after. A woman who has protected her virtue and maintained her dignity and chastity (by not allowing any men to use her body for their pleasure) is highly regarded and respected.

I'm not sure why male virginity is scorned, it should be celebrated and those men deserve respect. They don't deserve to be ridiculed or mocked for doing the right thing by maintaining their virginity outside of marriage. That's the way it should be.

It's unfortunate that old-fashioned, traditional values have lost their place in modern society.
Just the same way female sexual promiscuity is scorned and male sexual promiscuity is seen as normal. Society needs to change, that's for sure. We're stuck with these stone age values that make no sense at all. If females all reverted to being virgins in fear of being scorned upon, then men wouldn't have anyone to be sexually promiscuous with and we'd all be virgins. Silly how the both stigmas don't even aid each other or go hand in hand.
(edited 8 years ago)
I count both as equality important.
Original post by Savage R3N3GAD3
Female virginity is prized because it's a marker of dignity and self-respect. A woman who is pure and untainted is highly sought after. A woman who has protected her virtue and maintained her dignity and chastity (by not allowing any men to use her body for their pleasure) is highly regarded and respected.

I'm not sure why male virginity is scorned, it should be celebrated and those men deserve respect. They don't deserve to be ridiculed or mocked for doing the right thing by maintaining their virginity outside of marriage. That's the way it should be.

It's unfortunate that old-fashioned, traditional values have lost their place in modern society.

Why though? What has self-respect got to do with virginity?
Reply 9
Male virgins are considered to be inadequate.Thats obvious.

As to why female virgins are prized surely they are only prized by complete ********?

(Personally if a woman hasn't slept with at least 50 men I'm not interested)
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah! Do not even get me started on this issue. I can go on and on for hours to why I disagree with this type of mentality. A guy says he is a virgin at 24, eye brows are raised and thoughts such as is he socially awkward or just super religious begin running in people's minds. Men are said to be biologically, the more sexual creatures so this notion that by a certain age, a guy must have or should have had sex. I've noticed guys use how much women they can get too as to either boast or insult each other. It's super annoying when I hear guys using 'but you don't get girls' as an insult or 'but I get girls' to show they are somehow more powerful and macho. Like huh? Any way, a woman who is the same age says she's a virgin, people start relating her to 'not easy', purity and to some extremes even wife material. I am someone who is waiting until marriage to have sex and the things you hear guys say- it's ridiculous. These double standards are disgusting. Thank God not everyone thinks this way, these are just generalisations. Sadly though double standards such as these seem to dominate in our society.

It isn't scorned..... It's all in teenagers heads

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Because men are complete hound dogs, expected to make the running and judged positively on how many girls are up for it with them.

I think even for girls, virginity past early 20s carries some lack of attractiveness stigma.
Since when is male virginity scorned??

And these are really old fashioned views anyway, of course not being a virgin means no self respect :rolleyes:

Because said values are a load of bull put in place by men to keep women in line.
Original post by Zarek
Because men are complete hound dogs, expected to make the running and judged positively on how many girls are up for it with them.

I think even for girls, virginity past early 20s carries some lack of attractiveness stigma.

I don't think it carries a lack of attractiveness stigma. If someone is attractive, they are attractive. If they say they are a virgin does that make them look less attractive? Of course not.
What are everyone's personal opinions on this topic? Do guys prefer virgins when dating a girl or do girls prefer none virgins etc...?
Reply 17

I fail to see how doing something perfectly natural is scorned against... Makes no sense at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that female virginity is praised but male virginity is scorned is biological. Since females would normally become pregnant from sex, females evolved to become extremely selective about who they have sex with - so they won't have to waste huge amounts of time and resources bringing up children with sub-standard genetics. If a male can attract many females, then that is attractive to females because it shows that many other females think he has good enough genetics to be worthy of sex. Female virginity is praised because females who have slept with less men are less likely to cheat in a relationship.
Reply 19
What are everyone's personal opinions on this topic? Do guys prefer virgins when dating a girl or do girls prefer none virgins etc...?

At 28 I would wonder why a potential partner was still a virgin..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending