1) Person A gets into a fight with person B. A punches person B and B falls and hits his head of a pavement and dies. How many years would you sentence A to?
2) Man beats a paedophile he caught molesting his child to death. At first it was an act of defence but soon it turned to an act of revenge and the man unnecessary ( by that I mean it wasn't self-defence) brutally beats the child molester to death. Would you sentence this man to prison?
3) A driver who has had black outs in the past blacks out while driving- hits and kills a few people. Would you sentence him to jail if he had a history of black outs?
4) A severely mentally ill man with schizophrenia goes on a massacre killing many people after hearing voices in his head telling him he must commit this for the greater good of mankind and to save his soul. Would you sentence this man to life in prison , mental hospital or something else (I know in real life he wouldn't even stand trial but lets just say you had the choice of his fate).?
By law, with the exception of (4), all will go to jail unfortunately.
All of these examples exist in the public domain. Look them up.
I'd Denning the hell out of all of these cases.
For the person who blacked out whilst driving, surely if they had a history of black outs then they would have had their driving license taken away from them. Otherwise if they have been deemed legally capable of driving safely then they have done nothing wrong and shouldn't go to prison. Maybe they never went to see a medical professional about it but that seems unlikely, since black outs aren't exactly the kind of thing you ignore.
First 3 all go to prison and 4th is sentenced to max security psych hospital
All with a life sentence.
Apart from 3 maybe. If his condition was known by the DVLA and he was taking medication etc but still had a black out then it would be a reduced sentence but a lifetime ban from driving a car.
1) Dependent on the situation of the fight. 3 - 15 years dependent on the circumstances.
2) No imprisonment. The paedophile is breaking the law and therefore should pay the ultimate sacrifice. If you do not want to risk your own life, follow the law, or move to a country that is suitable for your personality and actions. Even if you stole a pack of crisps from a shop; the principle is the same. You are doing something that is illegal and wrong. Therefore if the shop-owner beats you to death, you are the one at fault.
3) 1 year in Jail. He should not be driving if it has occurred 3 or more times. It is illegal to drive in a situation that your health does not allow basic safety to be kept. If he then drives again during his lifetime then the penalty should be life in prison.
4) Death Penalty.