The Student Room Group

If you were a judge what would you sentence these people to?

1) Person A gets into a fight with person B. A punches person B and B falls and hits his head of a pavement and dies. How many years would you sentence A to?

2) Man beats a paedophile he caught molesting his child to death. At first it was an act of defence but soon it turned to an act of revenge and the man unnecessary ( by that I mean it wasn't self-defence) brutally beats the child molester to death. Would you sentence this man to prison?

3) A driver who has had black outs in the past blacks out while driving- hits and kills a few people. Would you sentence him to jail if he had a history of black outs?

4) A severely mentally ill man with schizophrenia goes on a massacre killing many people after hearing voices in his head telling him he must commit this for the greater good of mankind and to save his soul. Would you sentence this man to life in prison , mental hospital or something else (I know in real life he wouldn't even stand trial but lets just say you had the choice of his fate).?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
By law, with the exception of (4), all will go to jail unfortunately.
Reply 2
Original post by kka25
By law, with the exception of (4), all will go to jail unfortunately.

Say hypothetically though you have complete control over their sentence- what would you do?

It is your choice whether you send them to jail or not and how long you send them to jail if you choose to do so.
Reply 3
Original post by Eggs20
1) Person A gets into a fight with person B. A punches person B and B falls and hits his head of a pavement and dies. How many years would you sentence A to?

2) Man beats a paedophile he caught molesting his child to death. At first it was an act of defence but soon it turned to an act of revenge and the man unnecessary ( by that I mean it wasn't self-defence) brutally beats the child molester to death. Would you sentence this man to prison?

3) A driver who has had black outs in the past blacks out while driving- hits and kills a few people. Would you sentence him to jail if he had a history of black outs?

4) A severely mentally ill man with schizophrenia goes on a massacre killing many people after hearing voices in his head telling him he must commit this for the greater good of mankind and to save his soul. Would you sentence this man to life in prison , mental hospital or something else (I know in real life he wouldn't even stand trial but lets just say you had the choice of his fate).?

1. That is involuntary manslaughter (assuming he did not intend to kill the victim), so with the discretion of the court it's up to imprisonment for life.

2. That would either be murder/voluntary manslaughter. If the court is willing to accept the circumstances as a defense, it will be voluntary manslaughter. Up to imprisonment for life. Self defense can be a complete defense, but it is obviously not so here.

3. Yes. He would be expected to take proper care to discharge his duty of care as a driver. If one knows that they have an issue and they continue something risky, they assume the consequences as well.

4. Probably in/voluntary manslaughter...? Depends on the specific circumstances.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All of these examples exist in the public domain. Look them up.
Original post by Eggs20

1) death penalty for person A. Or honour the victim's family demands

2) therapy and prison for brutally killing him

3) Death penalty

4) Death penalty

I don't know why the **** should anyone expect linency from robbing person of his right to live

Original post by DrSocSciences
All of these examples exist in the public domain. Look them up.

are the verdicts consistent?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Eggs20
Not sure. As the death was accidental, I would be inclined to be slightly more lenient; but then, if there had been no fight, there would have been no death. I would probably give a term of five years or so.

I have very strong feelings concerning paedophiles; I would definitely be lenient in this case. This case sounds more like one of mental incapacity due to seeing his child being molested, in which case I would treat it as being due to mental health, not deliberate murder.

Permanently revoke his driving license, and a jail term of five years for lack of due care to driving. I would also order that the cause of the blackouts be determined and treated.

:lolwut:
Reply 7
Original post by DiceTheSlice
1) death penalty for person A. Or honour the victim's family demands

2) therapy and prison for brutally killing him

3) Death penalty

4) Death penalty

I don't know why the **** should anyone expect linency from robbing person of his right to live

Oh the irony.

Why not sentence the father to death penalty as well though?
Original post by *Stefan*
Oh the irony.

Why not sentence the father to death penalty as well though?

:biggrin:

I'll admit that was a lazy post. I'll try to expand on my posts when I'm on my laptop. Typing this on iPhone is frustratin
Original post by Eggs20

- Did they have previous convictions?
- Nature of the individual?
- What was the fight over?
- Minimum 5 years maximum 15 years

- 15 years minimum

- 8 years jail - Driving ban for 5 years once released
- Legislation change should be brought about in terms of black outs and driving licenses (not sure if it exists or not)

Mental hospital and if he's cured then prison...........
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd Denning the hell out of all of these cases.
Reply 11
For the person who blacked out whilst driving, surely if they had a history of black outs then they would have had their driving license taken away from them. Otherwise if they have been deemed legally capable of driving safely then they have done nothing wrong and shouldn't go to prison. Maybe they never went to see a medical professional about it but that seems unlikely, since black outs aren't exactly the kind of thing you ignore.
First 3 all go to prison and 4th is sentenced to max security psych hospital

All with a life sentence.

Apart from 3 maybe. If his condition was known by the DVLA and he was taking medication etc but still had a black out then it would be a reduced sentence but a lifetime ban from driving a car.
Original post by John55
For the person who blacked out whilst driving, surely if they had a history of black outs then they would have had their driving license taken away from them. Otherwise if they have been deemed legally capable of driving safely then they have done nothing wrong and shouldn't go to prison. Maybe they never went to see a medical professional about it but that seems unlikely, since black outs aren't exactly the kind of thing you ignore.

It would probably come under dangerous driving or something. Either way, they shouldn't get away with it.

With #4, I don't think prison is appropriate for someone with an illness like schizophrenia. They should be in a mental hospital where they can get treatment for their illness.
Reply 14
Original post by OU Student
It would probably come under dangerous driving or something. Either way, they shouldn't get away with it.

With #4, I don't think prison is appropriate for someone with an illness like schizophrenia. They should be in a mental hospital where they can get treatment for their illness.

It's not dangerous driving, they were driving perfectly safely until they blacked out meaning they have no ability whatsoever to control the car and stop it hitting people. The person didn't choose to black out, they just did and unfortunately it ended up in them killing people, but due to no fault of theirs. I don't see what they did wrong?
Original post by Eggs20

1) Manslaughter
2) Murder (since it was planned) - personally I'd understand why he did it
3) Manslaughter - shouldn't be driving if he is blacking out a lot ? what an idiot
4) Mental health hospital, no jail.
Original post by John55
It's not dangerous driving, they were driving perfectly safely until they blacked out meaning they have no ability whatsoever to control the car and stop it hitting people. The person didn't choose to black out, they just did and unfortunately it ended up in them killing people, but due to no fault of theirs. I don't see what they did wrong?

The OP states they had a history of blacking out, therefore, they shouldn't be driving. You're not meant to drive until you've been given the all clear by the DVLA. That's not something (which my dad knows only too well) they do lightly either.
Original post by John55

The fact that he hypothetically killed people, even though he had a history of blacking out? It's extremely dangerous and would be sentenced for manslaughter, maybe 2nd degree. Same would go if you fainted or has a seizure behind the wheel.
1) Dependent on the situation of the fight. 3 - 15 years dependent on the circumstances.
2) No imprisonment. The paedophile is breaking the law and therefore should pay the ultimate sacrifice. If you do not want to risk your own life, follow the law, or move to a country that is suitable for your personality and actions. Even if you stole a pack of crisps from a shop; the principle is the same. You are doing something that is illegal and wrong. Therefore if the shop-owner beats you to death, you are the one at fault.
3) 1 year in Jail. He should not be driving if it has occurred 3 or more times. It is illegal to drive in a situation that your health does not allow basic safety to be kept. If he then drives again during his lifetime then the penalty should be life in prison.
4) Death Penalty.
Reply 19
Original post by OU Student
The OP states they had a history of blacking out, therefore, they shouldn't be driving. You're not meant to drive until you've been given the all clear by the DVLA. That's not something (which my dad knows only too well) they do lightly either.

Did either of you read my original post? Obviously if they weren't legally supposed to be driving then they should go to prison. I'm just saying this seems an unlikely scenario. The OP never stated that the person wasn't legally allowed to drive, my dad crashed his car a few years ago due to blacking out, luckily no one was hurt, but he's still legally able to drive. If he blacked out and crashed his car into some people and killed them then he wouldn't be at fault because he had no control over the incident and it would in no way be his fault.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending