Shapsharks
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I plan to study Medicine at university. For A Level I'm going to do Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
But I'm going to pick 4 AS Levels. I've read on top independent boarding schools that for medicine most universities prefer Chemistry Biology and Maths.
My question is, what (in your opinion/from knowledge) AS would be better? Physics or Maths.
Any answers would be great! I know maths and physics are both good subjects, but would top unis prefer maths over physics? Thank you 🙂
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shapsharks)
I plan to study Medicine at university. For A Level I'm going to do Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
But I'm going to pick 4 AS Levels. I've read on top independent boarding schools that for medicine most universities prefer Chemistry Biology and Maths.
They don't though, check the entry requirements.

My question is, what (in your opinion/from knowledge) AS would be better? Physics or Maths.
Any answers would be great! I know maths and physics are both good subjects, but would top unis prefer maths over physics? Thank you 🙂
Either is fine. You would receive no preferential treatment by doing maths or physics (unless you wish to apply to Cambridge).

Also, the whole "top unis" thing is irrelevant when it comes to medicine. Medical schools are all accredited and held to rigorous standards. It doesn't make sense to talk of "top" or "bottom" medical schools.
username1763163
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was in the same predicament last year. I decided on Bio, Chem and Geog AS but needed a fourth. I picked Physics, because I didn't fancy maths. Althought I am good at maths i picked physics, mainly because it showed variety for me.

I ended up with AAAB at AS , Physics was the B, and I was one UMS off an A after its remark. I've just applied for Medicine at Liverpool, Bristol, KCL and Sheffield.
username1763163
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I Also come from a top indepedent boarding school.

For Medicine, most uni's say Chemistry and two other sciences. Maths counts as a science so, its really up to what you prefer.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ATLHustler)
For Medicine, most uni's say Chemistry and two other sciences. Maths counts as a science so, its really up to what you prefer.
But they don't say that at all...
username1763163
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Democracy)
But they don't say that at all...

I've just applied for Medicine. A lot of them said they do prefer Chemistry and two sciences.
M0nkey Thunder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just applied for Medicine. A lot of them said they do prefer Chemistry and two sciences.
I thought they only wanted Chemistry and either Maths or Physics? Biology is nice and all, but I don't think it's required.
troubadour.
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
Their websites and official advice seem to disagree.

All medical schools except Cambridge are fine with chemistry, biology, and one other academic subject.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just applied for Medicine.
Oo-er, get you.

A lot of them said they do prefer Chemistry and two sciences.
Why don't the med schools themselves say that on their websites then? Is it a secret entry requirement just for those in the know?
NT226
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would say that, as long as you're alright at algebra, it would be easier to get an A in maths than in physics.
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by M0nkey Thunder)
I thought they only wanted Chemistry and either Maths or Physics? Biology is nice and all, but I don't think it's required.
Biology is required to at least AS Level by most (if not all) medical schools. Apart from Cambridge, taking either maths or physics would not give you any advantage when applying to medical schools. The only place in the country that explicitly requires A Level maths to study medicine is Magdelene College, Cambridge. No other universities (or colleges) require it.
username1763163
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm just saying what they prefer from my experiences of what i've been told.
username1763163
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It obviously differs between every Uni.
username1763163
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Was only trying to help. Sorry
M0nkey Thunder
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)
Biology is required to at least AS Level by most (if not all) medical schools. Apart from Cambridge, taking either maths or physics would not give you any advantage when applying to medical schools. The only place in the country that explicitly requires A Level maths to study medicine is Magdelene College, Cambridge. Nowhere else requires it.
Oh, I never knew that...

I thought that because you'd be covering biology on the course, Chemistry would be all that's needed although it does make sense though. Entering Uni with just GCSE knowledge of Biology wouldn't be ideal.
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
I'm just saying what they prefer from my experiences of what i've been told.
It obviously differs between every Uni.
But what you've been told just isn't true. I realise that you're just trying to help but it's simply false that any medical school other than Cambridge requires/prefers applicants to take three sciences at A Level, regardless of what you've been told.

Out of curiosity, were you told this by admissions tutors?
username1763163
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hydeman)
But what you've been told just isn't true. I realise that you're just trying to help but it's simply false that any medical school other than Cambridge requires/prefers applicants to take three sciences at A Level, regardless of what you've been told.

Out of curiosity, were you told this by admissions tutors?
I never said that they're required. And yeah, I went to a uni open day two years ago, and they said to make up for my GCSE's that weren't my fault I'd need hard A Levels. They said that average applicants have three sciences and maths, that they like Three sciences.. i didn't even take maths in the end. Anyway.
troubadour.
Report 4 years ago
Just to be clear, OP: You don't need any sciences or maths beyond chemistry and biology unless you're applying to Cambridge.
Noorhasan
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm currently taking Bio, Chem and Mathematics. I was as confused as you but almost all universities for medicine either require Biology and Chemistry (as a necessity) and either Maths or Physics as a third subject. So its your choice. But I advice you to take Maths because you can easily get an A. Our career counselor from Cambridge safely gave us the assurance that taking either of them isn't a big deal.
NHSFan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Noorhasan)
I'm currently taking Bio, Chem and Mathematics. I was as confused as you but almost all universities for medicine either require Biology and Chemistry (as a necessity) and either Maths or Physics as a third subject. So its your choice. But I advice you to take Maths because you can easily get an A. Our career counselor from Cambridge safely gave us the assurance that taking either of them isn't a big deal.
Every time I read this rubbish I just want to scream! With the exception of Cambridge and Oxford, NO university explicity says that! Chemistry is pretty much a necessity, Biology is at most med schools, although AS will do for some. Other than that, just choose subjects you enjoy and will get at least an A in! If I were advising someone, I would say definitely choose Chemistry and Biology, a third 'facilitating' subject and then any 4th one that you will enjoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (161)
60.98%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.17%
No- I want it (74)
28.03%
No- I don't want it (18)