The Student Room Group

Occupational Psychology Masters & Psychology conversion

Hi I'm interested in pursuing a career in occupational psychology.

I have a bachelors degree in Politics and from my understanding I would have to do a conversion course in psychology then do the masters.

I've been looking at various conversion courses and I have come across this one: http://www.derby.ac.uk/online/course/psychology-university-certificate

and I'm also contemplating the University of Edinburgh conversion.

The online course offered by Derby is very appealing as it costs a hell of a lot less than the University of Edinburgh one. (just over £2K in comparison to £9K)

My only concern is how hard would it be to get onto a decent occupational psychology masters course with the Derby certificate? Does anyone know if my chances to get onto a O.P masters course would significantly increase having studied at the University of Edinburgh? I'm questioning the online Derby courses validity?

Both courses are accredited by the BPS.

ALSO does anyone if there is any good occupational psychology masters courses in Scotland? I saw one on the Herriot Watt University website but I don't think it's accredited by the BPS.

Thanks in advance for anyone who is offering their advice! :smile:
From what I can tell, the Derby course is a precursor for either the BSc or MSc and doesn't in itself confer GBC - remember, being accredited by the BPS is not necessarily the same thing as confering GBC (graduate basis for chartership).

You would complete the online course and then complete the BSc or MSc.

Whereas: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/courses/psychology/psychology-(conversion)-msc.aspx for example, just requires an undergraduate degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by _Sinnie_
From what I can tell, the Derby course is a precursor for either the BSc or MSc and doesn't in itself confer GBC - remember, being accredited by the BPS is not necessarily the same thing as confering GBC (graduate basis for chartership).

You would complete the online course and then complete the BSc or MSc.

Whereas: https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/pgstudy/courses/psychology/psychology-(conversion)-msc.aspx for example, just requires an undergraduate degree.

Thanks Sinnie! I didn't realise this... So it would be better for me to do the years conversion I guess.

Are you in the psychology field yourself?

Thanks
Original post by hb2015
Thanks Sinnie! I didn't realise this... So it would be better for me to do the years conversion I guess.

Are you in the psychology field yourself?

Thanks

I always like to say, do your own research as well, please do not take the word of random people on the internet as truth (mine included). It could be that I have misunderstood some aspect of these courses.

Having said that, yes, as far as I understand it, once you have an undergraduate degree in another subject you just complete the one year masters in Psychology (conversion) and you will have GBC and BPS accreditation.

I am currently an assistant psychologist, applying for the clinical psychology doctorate
Reply 4
Original post by _Sinnie_
I always like to say, do your own research as well, please do not take the word of random people on the internet as truth (mine included). It could be that I have misunderstood some aspect of these courses.

Having said that, yes, as far as I understand it, once you have an undergraduate degree in another subject you just complete the one year masters in Psychology (conversion) and you will have GBC and BPS accreditation.

I am currently an assistant psychologist, applying for the clinical psychology doctorate

Sure. Thanks for the advice Sinnie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest