The Student Room Group

Career advice.....

Hi all,

I'm 25 years old and just secured my first permanent position doing a senior administrative role at a University, it pays 30k and it's a very laid back 9-5 job - sounds great, right?

Prior to this I was with the Civil Service for three years, I was fortunate enough to hold down positions within the Cabinet Office and the Scotland Office. Unfortunately I came to the end of my fixed term contract and after a number of interviews, I felt the positions that were about weren't suitable/what I wanted to go in to. This lead me to where I am today.

Now, after doing my current job for about a year, i'm starting to feel disillusioned, I feel that i'm wasting my time doing administrative work where I should really be pursuing something i'm actually interested in - that being Politics/International Relations etc.

What should I do? The one thing stopping me going back into the Civil Service is the salary, I'd probably have to go back in at EO level and would have to take around a 4/5k paycut if you take into consideration travel costs from zone 5-1. Is there a future in University administration? Where can I go with it? I've also looked at perhaps doing an MA in International Relations as well, would that be a good idea?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance and sorry if this is posted in the wrong place!

Cheers

NG
Original post by NoGood
Is there a future in University administration? Where can I go with it?

Universities usually have very strong internal hiring policies, so they are very good places to work if you like the general tempo and style and the people you work with. It is generally relatively easy to move jobs around the university, especially if you have a good professional reputation, and you can move between universities. How far can you go? Registrar on £100k-£150k?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending