The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me figure this out? Equilibrium reactions

Hello!

I am working on equilibrium reactions and application of Le Chatelier's principle.
I am mixing FeCl3 + NH4SCN + dH2O as a solution. Then taking 1ml of this and placing 1ml into each of 4 tubes (one will be a control).
My first main problem is the equation that this would be...I get:

FeCl3 + 3NH4SCN --> 3NH3 + 3HCl + Fe(SCN)3

Is this correct?

If I add NaOH to this, what happens?

Please if anyone can help me, you will save my life!!
Original post by Hexaneandheels
Hello!

I am working on equilibrium reactions and application of Le Chatelier's principle.
I am mixing FeCl3 + NH4SCN + dH2O as a solution. Then taking 1ml of this and placing 1ml into each of 4 tubes (one will be a control).
My first main problem is the equation that this would be...I get:

FeCl3 + 3NH4SCN --> 3NH3 + 3HCl + Fe(SCN)3

Is this correct?

If I add NaOH to this, what happens?

Please if anyone can help me, you will save my life!!

Your equation cannot be correct as you are forming both an acid (HCl) and a base (NH3) at the same time ...
Ooh Ok good point thank you, could it be:

Fe(SCN)Cl2 + NH4Cl ?

Original post by charco
Your equation cannot be correct as you are forming both an acid (HCl) and a base (NH3) at the same time ...
Ooh Ok good point thank you, could it be:

Fe(SCN)Cl2 + NH4Cl ?

[Fe(H2O)6]3+ + SCN- ---> [Fe(H2O)5SCN]2+ + H2O
But i am adding FeCl3 to NH4SCN first of all, then adding water. I am not sure how you arrive at that?

Original post by charco
[Fe(H2O)6]3+ + SCN- ---> [Fe(H2O)5SCN]2+ + H2O
But i am adding FeCl3 to NH4SCN first of all, then adding water. I am not sure how you arrive at that?

You are adding solutions are you not?
We mix FeCl3, NH4SCN together first, note the colour (RED), write the equation for this reaction.
THEN, add water to make up a solution, which we also need to write a formula for.

Original post by charco
You are adding solutions are you not?
We mix FeCl3, NH4SCN together first, note the colour (RED), write the equation for this reaction.
THEN, add water to make up a solution, which we also need to write a formula for.

You mix SOLID FeCl3, NH4SCN together first ...

... I don't think so!
Oh ok I see what you are saying now!!! So it is the equation you said after mixing them with water or?

Original post by charco
You mix SOLID FeCl3, NH4SCN together first ...

... I don't think so!
Oh ok I see what you are saying now!!! So it is the equation you said after mixing them with water or?

A solution of iron(III) chloride in water actually contains hexaaquairon(III) ions and chloride ions (and also some hydrogen ions as the iron complex gets broken down by the water molecules).

A solution of ammonium thiocyanate contains ammonium ions and thiocyanate ions.

When you mix them together the thiocyanate ions coordinate to the iron(III) ion in a reversible manner and establish an equilibrium...

... as previously shown.

Quick Reply

Latest