Food Shopping List for People Starting Uni

Watch
aaron--walker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey Guys

When I started Uni this year, I tried searching online for a standard shopping list of things that you should take to uni; I couldn't find one, so I decided to make a big one for everyone that is moving into new self-catered accommodation and has no idea of what to buy on their first big shop of the term.

This is just purely for food - things like toilet roll and cling film aren't on here. You'll have to work that out yourself
I'll break it down into 4 parts - Cupboard, Freezer, Fresh and Liquids
Cupboard Stuff is stuff such as cans, dried food, sauces, and jars, that don't really need to be kept refrigerated, and which you don't need to worry about the best before dates.
Freezer Stuff is that goes in your freezer (you dont say :/ ) - It's important to bear in mind that you may not have that much freezer space between you and your flatmates - it varies between different types of accommodation - I've known some people sharing half a draw each, and other's having 2 draws each. It's probably best to buy this stuff when you have actually moved into accommodation, as it may defrost in long journey to moving in, and you may have too much to actually fit in.
Fresh Stuff are your things that quickly go out of date, or things that are best of being kept in the fridge. Things like vegetables and cooked meats fit into this category.
Liquids includes alcohol, juices, milk, cordials and your fizzy pop. Just make sure you keep them in the right place.
Cupboard Stuff
Cans (can be kept for ages, usually make a quick and easy meal for those days when you really can't be bothered with cooking a proper meal)
  • Baked Beans - Own brand is usually really cheep, and can have different flavors such as barbecue and cheese. Is also (kinda) healthy
  • Spaghetti - Lots of different types; Hoops, bolognese, short cut (usually own brand), long cut (like Hinez), with sausages etc...
  • Hot Dogs - Can come in a glass or a can - the ones in a glass are usually bigger, but you may get less, and they may be more expensive
  • Ravioli
  • Mushy Peas - goes great with chips or pies, and is healthy
  • Soups - Lots of different flavors, and can be healthy
  • Canned Fruit - Makes a good desert and is healthy
  • Custard - Goes great with above
  • Canned Vegetables/ Potato's - Good addition to the side of a meal
General Cupboard Stuff (I don't know what else to call it :/ )
  • Biscuits - Buy your favorite type, and be prepared to share them with flatmates
  • Crisps - Best of not buying too many, but are good when feeling a little bit peckish
  • Jams/Preserves - For putting on sandwiches / toast for breakfast
  • Chocolate spread - same as above
  • Super noodles/pot noodles - Good as a snack, but not good as a staple diet.
  • Pasta and sauce - Can be used as a snack or as a side to a main meal.
  • Sauces - Mayo, Tomato, HP, BBQ, Mustard, Salad cream etc... Can be expensive, but can make food taste a lot better
  • Soy sauce/Worcestershire sauce/Tabasco sauce - for flavoring - can use while cooking or after
  • Pasta - The core ingredient for all pasta dishes - you will learn to love it or hate it, but its cheep
  • Rice - Also quite essential. Can be eaten on its own, or as part of a meal. Can also be fried, or flavored. Best of buying standard rice and cooking it properly yourself, rather than buying microwave rice, as its cheaper, although microwave rice is more convenient if you are awful at cooking (you won't be the only one)
  • Root Vegetables - the main ones being onions, potatoes and carrots - these don't need to be refrigerated, and are often main parts of meals - think shepherds pie...
  • Tea/Coffee/Hot Chocolate - Buy the ones that you drink - you may want to have the ones you don't if you are the type of person that invites someone around for a drink around lunchtime
  • Bisto/Oxo - Gravy ingrediants - Oxo is used for flavour, and Bisto is use to make it thick. If you are feeling inventive you can add mustard, or onions
  • Flour - to make pancakes, cakes and other general baking stuff. Also used for thickening sauces. Don't bother buying if you feel you won't use it
  • Salt/Pepper - Seasoning for cooking
  • Oil - for frying anything and everything - can be the spray or the normal stuff
  • Pasta Sauce - You can make your own, or buy the premade stuff - most people just buy the premade type, although it is more expensive. They is also pasta bake sauce, which is different - don't make the mistake of thinking it isn't
  • Curry Sauce - pretty much same as above
  • Fajita Kits - or you could just buy tortilla wraps and seasoning (and salsa if you are one of the people that actually uses it)
  • Cereal - For breakfast - at uni no one will judge you for buying a Kelloggs variety box or cookie crisp
  • Porridge - is a lot healthier than sugar coated cereal
Freezer Stuff
  • Chips - Because you are a student...
  • Ice cream - Its better off getting small cones rather than a massive box
  • Fish Fingers - Goes well with chips
  • Breaded chicken - Such as chicken dippers, breaded chicken fillet strips and chicken burgers
  • Pies
  • Pizza - I find it a good idea to take them out of the box to save on freezer space
  • Garlic Bread
  • Onion Rings - good at parties if your guests aren't fussy
  • Frozen vegetables - The most common among students are sweetcorn, peas and mixed veg.
  • Burgers
  • Meats - can be frozen or fresh - I was told that red meats are best of frozen, and white are meats are best of fresh, but it really depends on fridge/freezer space and personal preference. Also 20 sausages for £1 do exist, and they are edible.
Fresh Stuff
Absolute Essentials
  • Milk - For tea/coffee, breakfast, cooking meals, drinking etc...
  • Eggs - can be cooked in loads of different ways, added to food (such as rice)
  • Bread - For toast and sandwiches. Type is down to preference
Fridge Things
  • Margarine/Butter - personal preference - also some people choose to put in the fridge, others do not.
  • Cooked meats - Ham, turkey, chicken - usually used for sandwiches, but can be used for meals too
  • Sandwich filler - These are normally expensive, but are good for when you are feeling lazy and/or want a change from the normal jam or ham sandwich
  • Cheese - for sandwiches, cooking meals, and for putting on top of pasta
  • Raw meats - Sausages, bacon, steak, mince, meatballs, chicken - These can be frozen if bought fresh. Used in cooking meals.
Fruit and Vegetables
  • Apples
  • Oranges
  • Bananas
  • Any other fruit
  • Tomatoes - fresh or canned - can be used in lots of meals
  • Mushrooms - Fresh or canned
  • (Iceburg) Lettuce - good for burgers, and for making salad
  • Any other vegetables
Liquids
  • Milkshake - Can be expensive, if you really want it, then it is better buying the powder and mixing it with Milk
  • Fresh Juice - Orange, Apple, Tropical - own brand is good, and is good for you too
  • Fizzy pop - coke, lemonade, fanta etc... Own brand is cheep, but has a strong taste difference. From experience, own brand coke is bad, but lemonade is good.
  • Cordial - Lots of flavors, get 2-3 different ones
  • Lager/Cider - Buy in crates, and be prepared to share
  • Spites - to start of with settle with something basic - vodka, rum or gin is probably a good choice
  • Water - They is no need to buy water. At all. Don't buy it!

If you think I've missed something out, then please reply below, and Ill add it to the list
Mollsmae
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow! That was incredible... I'm looking to start uni next year and have been looking for this post for over a week! Thank you so much!

Did you find going food shopping easier every time you went, as you learnt what works best for you?
aaron--walker
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I did - each time you I go, I always buy the same things (So I always buy bread and milk, because I eat them really quickly). Then you buy some meat and some Vegetables. The first shop I did was with my parents, but on the second one it was just me, and I had no idea what to get... I wondered around, and mainly bought ready meals, which I really don't recommend, as it ended up costing me around £20 :/ Also as time goes on you might have meals with your flat too, which is a really good idea. Talking to people at uni, they are main ways of doing shopping, doing a "big shop" at the end of the week, and buying things little and often depending on how much food you have/need. I am a "big shop" person, and I work out what I need for that week. I find the best way of doing it is to plan a main meal each day, and then have a snack for lunch and your standard meal for breakfast

Hope this helps
Anonynmous
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
highly suggest buying savers over branded, the food quality is negibible between the two.

Tropicana is an exception though, premium for reals

PrincessZara
PrincessZara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonynmous)
highly suggest buying savers over branded, the food quality is negibible between the two.

Tropicana is an exception though, premium for reals

PrincessZara
LMAO! You just love tropicana init
Anonynmous
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PrincessZara)
LMAO! You just love tropicana init
its all quality mate, come we go for a walk around the factory.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (34)
24.46%
Unhappy (38)
27.34%
Conflicted (67)
48.2%

Watched Threads