Thinking of leaving christianity

Watch
#101#
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
My family are religious christians. And i've always identified as one. However, i've lost faith a long time ago but still called myself a christian. Do you think i should leave officially? Are there any ex christians on here? What even is the point of religion?
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by #101#)
My family are religious christians. And i've always identified as one. However, i've lost faith a long time ago but still called myself a christian. Do you think i should leave officially? Are there any ex christians on here? What even is the point of religion?
Don't see the point of making a big deal out of it and making it 'official'.
onipo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by #101#)
Hi, I do not wish to have a debate, or argument or textual contention of any form. But, the decision you are pondering is huge; for your faith to have faded and waxed so cold, in this end time is dangerously concerning. Remember Matthew 24:12 "12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." Please, don't be drawn away by the lust of the flesh and the desire to be so free; Jesus will return; Hell is real and so is heaven. Keep the faith; return to God. Desire a stronger connection with Him, please. I beg you. God bless.
High Stakes
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by onipo)
Hi, I do not wish to have a debate, or argument or textual contention of any form. But, the decision you are pondering is huge; for your faith to have faded and waxed so cold, in this end time is dangerously concerning. Remember Matthew 24:12 "12And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." Please, don't be drawn away by the lust of the flesh and the desire to be so free; Jesus will return; Hell is real and so is heaven. Keep the faith; return to God. Desire a stronger connection with Him, please. I beg you. God bless.
Oh well, yolo.
supernerdural
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you've lost your faith then you should leave. It's your decision and your beliefs, don't let anyone pressure you into staying if you don't think it's right
Lucasium
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do it
demx9
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by #101#)
What even is the point of religion?
If materialism is all you're after for, absolutely nothing.
safiyyah98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by #101#)
Look I'm a muslim, not even a Christian but I don't think you should abandon religion, religion gives you a sense of purpose in life. Make sure you do your research thoroughly before you make a decision. Remember, base a religion on the holy book, not the followers. Also religion is something thats between a person and God so nothing has to be made 'official'. Whatever you decide, religions aren't going anywhere, they will always be there should you return or change your mind
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do it mate. My family are Christians, I used to be a pretty devout one as well - all done now. Told them and that's that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
angelcake123
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You wouldnt be leaving Christianity, you would be leaving Jesus. He will be there for you if you leave and want to return. Maybe ask advice from your friends, family, people who actually know you. Your family wont abandon you if you decide to abandon Jesus, they would just prefer if you healed your relationship with him. Christianity is a choice, they cant force you to stay.

You say you have been distant and lost faith for a while, but surely that means you had faith at one point? Remind yourself of what that was like and if you liked it, try to reconnect with God.

The only way I can think of it is like in school. Many of us may be failing for quite a while, getting crap grades and getting into trouble with teachers. That doesnt mean we should give up, but instead try to improve our work ethic, discipline and so on
The Diplomat.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do what YOU think is right. Take some time to make a decision, you don't want to rush anything.
El Salvador
Report 5 years ago
leave
El Salvador
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by safiyyah98)
Look I'm a muslim, not even a Christian but I don't think you should abandon religion, religion gives you a sense of purpose in life. Make sure you do your research thoroughly before you make a decision. Remember, base a religion on the holy book, not the followers. Also religion is something thats between a person and God so nothing has to be made 'official'. Whatever you decide, religions aren't going anywhere, they will always be there should you return or change your mind
A lot of things give people a sense of purpose in life. One Direction, Harry Potter, Adele, nationalism, football, Doctor Who etc.

Religions may not be going anywhere, particular religions do die out.
safiyyah98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
A lot of things give people a sense of purpose in life. One Direction, Harry Potter, Adele, nationalism, football, Doctor Who etc.

Religions may not be going anywhere, particular religions do die out.
True, but religions have many beneficial purposes;
Source of hope and optimism
Promotes feelings of belongingness
Boosts self-esteem
Improved mental and physical health
Food for the soul etc....
People who want to follow a religion and people who don't want to well thats their choice. I'm just saying that religion will always be there for anyone, and as far as i'm concerned they aren't dying out.
El Salvador
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by safiyyah98)
True, but religions have many beneficial purposes;
Source of hope and optimism
Promotes feelings of belongingness
Boosts self-esteem
Improved mental and physical health
Food for the soul etc....
People who want to follow a religion and people who don't want to well thats their choice. I'm just saying that religion will always be there for anyone, and as far as i'm concerned they aren't dying out.
Particular religions have died out. That's an objective fact.

Adele gives you all of the above.
safiyyah98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Little Toy Gun)
Particular religions have died out. That's an objective fact.

Adele gives you all of the above.
She doesn't give me ****. If I want to follow a religion then I can. If you don't want to then cool. and FYI:
84 percent of the world population has faith; a third are Christian. “Worldwide, more than eight-in-ten people identify with a religious group,” says a new comprehensive demographic study of more than 230 countries and territories conducted by the Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion & Public Life.
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by #101#)
Unless you're Catholic and have to submit an Act of Defection, there is no "formal" leaving the Church. You just stop going and stop calling yourself a Christian.
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you leave officially your family may get annoyed at you, if you know yourself you're not a christian then isn't that enough. Better to keep the peace I think
CPBA1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Jesus loves you
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was baptised when I was a babby and now I don't really identify as a Christian much at all, but leaving "officially" is a bit of a pointless act and is making fuss over very little unless you plan on converting to something else.

(Original post by onipo)
in this end time is dangerously concerning
In this end time? It's the end time already? ffs can we postpone it I've got things to do m8
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.58%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
10.97%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.6%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.42%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.33%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.4%
Financial worries (22)
6.9%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (14)
4.39%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.96%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.52%

Watched Threads