The Student Room Group

Higher Biology 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Asklepios
Protein synthesis as a whole is anabolic. Translation is an anabolic process, and so is transcription.

"Metabolise" is just a general term that refers to the chemical processing of substances within cells and the body as a whole. Enzymes that metabolise substrates just means enzymes that process them.

A metabolite is the product of metabolism. For example, ethanol is oxidised in the liver to ethanal and then to ethanoate. In this case, both ethanal and ethanoate are metabolites.

By "enzymes that process them" do you mean that enzymes that use them up?

I had a question also on Question 2 (c):
bio help.png

I do not understand this because all of the bacteria that contained the modified plasmid had the antibiotic resistance gene. This means that all of them should be resistant to antibiotic whether they were transformed or not as ALL of them contain this gene from the plasmid.
However, the answers say that the transformed bacteria would only be able to survive/ grow in the presence of antibiotics...

I do not get this at all.

Please explain as simple as possible. This genuinely makes no sense :frown:
Original post by Jeff548
By "enzymes that process them" do you mean that enzymes that use them up?

I had a question also on Question 2 (c):
bio help.png

I do not understand this because all of the bacteria that contained the modified plasmid had the antibiotic resistance gene. This means that all of them should be resistant to antibiotic whether they were transformed or not as ALL of them contain this gene from the plasmid.
However, the answers say that the transformed bacteria would only be able to survive/ grow in the presence of antibiotics...

I do not get this at all.

Please explain as simple as possible. This genuinely makes no sense :frown:

Using up isn't particularly great terminology. The substrate does get used up, but that's not the definition of processing. What I mean is chemical modification, reduction/oxidation, cleavage etc etc

You're pretty much right for the plasmid question just a bit confused. None of the bacteria have the plasmid, but the plasmid on the left is just the plasmid they are using before inserting the EPO gene. Typically they'll get this by ordering from a company or taking another bacterial strain, breaking the culture up (cell lysis) and purifying the plasmid DNA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Using up isn't particularly great terminology. The substrate does get used up, but that's not the definition of processing. What I mean is chemical modification, reduction/oxidation, cleavage etc etc

You're pretty much right for the plasmid question just a bit confused. None of the bacteria have the plasmid, but the plasmid on the left is just the plasmid they are using before inserting the EPO gene. Typically they'll get this by ordering from a company or taking another bacterial strain, breaking the culture up (cell lysis) and purifying the plasmid DNA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I realised this, but answering the actual question, I don't get how it relates...?
Because it says they take up the MODIFIED PLASMIDS.

The way I am wording the questions is: Modified plasmids are mixed with a large group of bacteria. Some bacterial cells produce the protein by taking up these plasmids but others do not while taking up plasmids also. How do you tell which one is producing the protein?

Still confused :frown:

Please use like major basic english, in english classes Im ok but in the sciences my brain switches dead off when I see even something half confusing. I want to die sometimes because it's so annoying :frown: Very much like right now
Original post by Science_Girl
I have done the assignment but I did it on enzymes (we didn't get a choice). There was lots of data on that...

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jeff548
Yeah, I realised this, but answering the actual question, I don't get how it relates...?
Because it says they take up the MODIFIED PLASMIDS.

The way I am wording the questions is: Modified plasmids are mixed with a large group of bacteria. Some bacterial cells produce the protein by taking up these plasmids but others do not while taking up plasmids also. How do you tell which one is producing the protein?

Still confused :frown:

Please use like major basic english, in english classes Im ok but in the sciences my brain switches dead off when I see even something half confusing. I want to die sometimes because it's so annoying :frown: Very much like right now

Yeah you're reading it wrong. Some bacteria take up the plasmids (and thus are transformed), whilst others do not take up the plasmid. I guess it is possible for the plasmid to be taken up and for the bacteria not to express the EPO gene, but in that case, the antibiotic resistance gene will also be silent.
Reply 65
Yeah you're reading it wrong. Some bacteria take up the plasmids (and thus are transformed), whilst others do not take up the plasmid. I guess it is possible for the plasmid to be taken up and for the bacteria not to express the EPO gene, but in that case, the antibiotic resistance gene will also be silent.

AAARRGGHHHH! Still don't get it!

So if some take up the modified plasmid and others do not, then the ones that don't take it up will have the plasmid on the left of the picture. THIS STILL CONTAINS THE ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE GENE THOUGH!

SO HOW THE ACTUAL **** DOES THE BACTERIA THAT HAS THE NEW PLASMID ONLY GROW IN ANTIBIOTICS!?!?!!?!? It should grow without antibiotics only.

NO ****ING SENSE!!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown:
Original post by Jeff548
AAARRGGHHHH! Still don't get it!

So if some take up the modified plasmid and others do not, then the ones that don't take it up will have the plasmid on the left of the picture. THIS STILL CONTAINS THE ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE GENE THOUGH!

SO HOW THE ACTUAL **** DOES THE BACTERIA THAT HAS THE NEW PLASMID ONLY GROW IN ANTIBIOTICS!?!?!!?!? It should grow without antibiotics only.

NO ****ING SENSE!!!!! :frown: :frown: :frown:

no they won't
Reply 67
no they won't

Hi there,
"Some bacteria can transfer plasmids or chromosomal DNA to each other or take up DNA from the environment to produce new strains."

This is the answer we need to know for a question but I don't understand how bacteria take up DNA from the environment? What does it mean? Is there idea of an evironment something else? Please help ASAP!
Original post by Jeff548
Hi there,
"Some bacteria can transfer plasmids or chromosomal DNA to each other or take up DNA from the environment to produce new strains."

This is the answer we need to know for a question but I don't understand how bacteria take up DNA from the environment? What does it mean? Is there idea of an evironment something else? Please help ASAP!

See here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterial_conjugation
Reply 69

Hey,
sorry, can't find the answer I'm looking for? Do you know or did you find it in here?
Original post by Jeff548
Hey,
sorry, can't find the answer I'm looking for? Do you know or did you find it in here?

The whole article is about how bacteria exchange plasmids!
Reply 71
The whole article is about how bacteria exchange plasmids!

Hey,
phosphorylation is addition of phosphate group, so which of the following is phosphorylation:

ATP > ADP + Pi

OR

ADP + Pi > ATP

Little confused :smile:
Original post by Jeff548
Hey,
phosphorylation is addition of phosphate group, so which of the following is phosphorylation:

ATP > ADP + Pi

OR

ADP + Pi > ATP

Little confused :smile:

Phosphorylation of ADP is ADP + Pi > ATP

Phosphorylation of protein is the addition of a phosphate group to it. The phosphate is usually provided by the hydrolysis of ATP to ADP + Pi. That's maybe why you're confused?
Reply 73

Phosphorylation of protein is the addition of a phosphate group to it. The phosphate is usually provided by the hydrolysis of ATP to ADP + Pi. That's maybe why you're confused?

Yeah, thanks thats better now :smile:
Reply 74

Hey,

See the electron transport chain, it says hydrogen ions are pumped across the membrane from the matrix to the space between the 2 membranes. It then says about the return flow of hydrogen ions. This is where I am stuck. Because why would ATP synthase work? How are the flow of the ions returned????
Reply 75

Hey,

See the electron transport chain, it says hydrogen ions are pumped across the membrane from the matrix to the space between the 2 membranes. It then says about the return flow of hydrogen ions. This is where I am stuck. Because why would ATP synthase work? How are the flow of the ions returned????
Original post by Jeff548
Hey,

Because the H^+ ions are on one side of the membrane (as they have just been pumped across) there is now a high concentration on that side thus they return to the original side of the membrane by diffusion via ATP synthase causing it to rotate which allows it to function
Reply 77
Original post by Treen98
Because the H^+ ions are on one side of the membrane (as they have just been pumped across) there is now a high concentration on that side thus they return to the original side of the membrane by diffusion via ATP synthase causing it to rotate which allows it to function

Hey, thanks so much,
But isn't that pointless pumping the H+ ions across in the first place then if they are returned back to original place?
Original post by Jeff548
Hey, thanks so much,
But isn't that pointless pumping the H+ ions across in the first place then if they are returned back to original place?

At first glance I suppose it is but if they weren't pumped over to one side of the membrane then there would be no return flow to drive the ATP synthase so no ATP would be produced in this manner
Reply 79
Original post by Treen98
At first glance I suppose it is but if they weren't pumped over to one side of the membrane then there would be no return flow to drive the ATP synthase so no ATP would be produced in this manner

Thanks! :smile:

I don't understand how ATP synthase works entirely either, could you help with that please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending