The worth and meaning of life.

Watch
tailred
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have kinda come to the conclusion that life is simply about experiences. We live to simply experience things. That lead me to another conclusion, which is that no experience is greater than the other. All experience have great affects upon us. Experiencing falling as a child and experiencing marriage as a man are all equal. Different, yet equal. That brings me to my next point. Life is not based around the amount of experiences you have. You could die at 14 being happy. Nor is it about the quality of the experiences, as all experiences are equal. It's simply about experiences. Therefore, if life is about experiences, yet the quality and quantity of experiences can not be measured then experiences itself has no meaning and therefore life has no meaning. Comments?
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tailred)
I have kinda come to the conclusion that life is simply about experiences. We live to simply experience things. That lead me to another conclusion, which is that no experience is greater than the other. All experience have great affects upon us. Experiencing falling as a child and experiencing marriage as a man are all equal. Different, yet equal. That brings me to my next point. Life is not based around the amount of experiences you have. You could die at 14 being happy. Nor is it about the quality of the experiences, as all experiences are equal. It's simply about experiences. Therefore, if life is about experiences, yet the quality and quantity of experiences can not be measured then experiences itself has no meaning and therefore life has no meaning. Comments?
The validity of the statements I have underlined are heavily debatable, you need to stop making narrow conclusions.
tailred
Rep:
(Original post by Mayhem™)
The validity of the statements I have underlined are heavily debatable, you need to stop making narrow conclusions.
They are my own personal conclusions. I would like to hear your opinion.
NomNoms
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
ummm..no maybe experiences are not measurable but impact of experiences can be measured by change in a persons life
Dr Pesto
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
2deep4me.
tailred
Rep:
(Original post by NomNoms)
ummm..no maybe experiences are not measurable but impact of experiences can be measured by change in a persons life
Impact can change someone's life, but in regards to the experience in general terms they are all equal, in my opinion.
Mayhem™
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
1) Falling in love is a greater experience than being given chewing gum by a friend, correct? This means that one experience is greater than another.
2)These are not equal experiences, falling is merely a stimulus of pain while marriage is a commitment.
3) So the experience of winning the lottery is the same as finding a £1 coin on the floor, surely not?
4)Experiences have different values, which means you have some sort system when it comes to ranking the significance of an experience. Therefore experiences can be measured, just not with a specified unit.
They are my own personal conclusions. I would like to hear your opinion.
There it is.
NomNoms
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Impact can change someone's life, but in regards to the experience in general terms they are all equal, in my opinion.
sorry i remain confused
tailred
Rep:
1) Falling in love is a greater experience than being given chewing gum by a friend, correct? This means that one experience is greater than another.
2)These are not equal experiences, falling is merely a stimulus of pain while marriage is a commitment.
3) So the experience of winning the lottery is the same as finding a £1 coin on the floor, surely not?
4)Experiences have different values, which means you have some sort system when it comes to ranking the significance of an experience. Therefore experiences can be measured, just not with a specified unit.

There it is.
Falling is an experience. You experience it, just like some will experience marrying someone else. whether they are equal or not is up to you.
Also how do you measure experiences? Are their individual measurements or is the measurement the same? When you do come to that conclusion, whether it is effect it has on you or how it makes you feel how do you determine which is greater. Falling as a child could have made you the man you are, meaning it is a major contribution to the person you married.
The experience of winning a lottery ticket and the experience of finding a pound coin can be the same i don't get your point tbh. Do you mean what you can do with the money after? Experience can also have the same value. They help shape you and who you are. You just may notice the change enforced by one experience more than the other.
tailred
Rep:
(Original post by NomNoms)
sorry i remain confused
I dunno bro. I just wanna hear other people perspective and debate a little.
Mayhem™
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Falling is an experience. You experience it, just like some will experience marrying someone else. whether they are equal or not is up to you.
Also how do you measure experiences? Are their individual measurements or is the measurement the same? When you do come to that conclusion, whether it is effect it has on you or how it makes you feel how do you determine which is greater. Falling as a child could have made you the man you are, meaning it is a major contribution to the person you married.
The experience of winning a lottery ticket and the experience of finding a pound coin can be the same i don't get your point tbh. Do you mean what you can do with the money after? Experience can also have the same value. They help shape you and who you are. You just may notice the change enforced by one experience more than the other.
The causes of an experience are a major factor in how you value the experience.
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
x
are you going to study philosophy at university by any chance?
NomNoms
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I dunno bro. I just wanna hear other people perspective and debate a little.
i strongly say LIFE IS LIFE.......debate over this..confused
Firenze26
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I don't think something that doesn't have any methods of measurements has no meaning, it's just immeasurable.

Although, IMO, yeah, experiences might be something that cannot be quantified or qualitated (I dunno, measured based on quality) officially but, personally, our personal bias gives it measurement, a value. Our personal bias always forces us to give something worth. We consider money given to us as allowance and given to us as salary different because of the aforementioned bias.

Yes, maybe life is about experiences but, maybe it's also keeping those experiences or maintaining them. Our regrets could be referred to as things or experiences we want to continue, finish or keep experiencing. So maybe life is not about experiences but keeping, maintaining and continuing those experiences. So, if we could measure that process through actions and stuff then life is about doing something and working towards something. And, since that effort is to achieve something then maybe we should judge life based on that instead of the goal, that life is about attaining those experiences instead of experiences itself.

Btw, this is just my opinion so sorry if I offended anybody.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞
tailred
Rep:
The causes of an experience are a major factor in how you value the experience.
Regardless of the cause of the experience, the value of the experience stays the same. Whether you regard the experience greater or less than, the value is the same.
testing1234568
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I have kinda come to the conclusion that life is simply about experiences. We live to simply experience things. That lead me to another conclusion, which is that no experience is greater than the other.
Please explain how the second conclusion follows from the first. I really don't see how realising that life is all about experiences means that all experiences are equal...
Mayhem™
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Regardless of the cause of the experience, the value of the experience stays the same. Whether you regard the experience greater or less than, the value is the same.
No it doesn't, at this point I can't tell whether you're being seriously silly/stupid or just a troll.
tailred
Rep:
(Original post by Firenze26)
I don't think something that doesn't have any methods of measurements has no meaning, it's just immeasurable.

Although, IMO, yeah, experiences might be something that cannot be quantified or qualitated (I dunno, measured based on quality) officially but, personally, our personal bias gives it measurement, a value. Our personal bias always forces us to give something worth. We consider money given to us as allowance and given to us as salary different because of the aforementioned bias.

Yes, maybe life is about experiences but, maybe it's also keeping those experiences or maintaining them. Our regrets could be referred to as things or experiences we want to continue, finish or keep experiencing. So maybe life is not about experiences but keeping, maintaining and continuing those experiences. So, if we could measure that process through actions and stuff then life is about doing something and working towards something. And, since that effort is to achieve something then maybe we should judge life based on that instead of the goal, that life is about attaining those experiences instead of experiences itself.

Btw, this is just my opinion so sorry if I offended anybody.

P.S.

Damn, Interesting point so you are saying that life is about attaining experience and then carrying the experience on through our own actions? If that is so then life is still about the experience you have as that is the causation of the action taken.
Firenze26
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Damn, Interesting point so you are saying that life is about attaining experience and then carrying the experience on through our own actions? If that is so then life is still about the experience you have as that is the causation of the action taken.
Yeah but, even if they're linked due to a causal link, I'm thinking of them as different things like studying and results. Yes, studying helps you get result but at the end you're not aiming to do your exam to study but you're doing it to get those results.

P.S.

tailred
Rep:
(Original post by studentro)
Please explain how the second conclusion follows from the first. I really don't see how realising that life is all about experiences means that all experiences are equal...
If life is to experience things, then it means that each and every experience without our personal bias, has equal influence on our lives and life choices. Whether you regard the experience as big or small, in my opinion they are all the same.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads