Developing knowledge of a language?

Watch
Mayhem™
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Any tips on how I can expand my vocabulary and fluency of a language?
The language in question is French(at GCSE level), and I have reading and listening exams tomorrow(Higher Tier, exam board: WJEC). I want to get in the state of feeling confident about speaking it so that I am mentally and academically prepared for the tests.

Thanks in advance.
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Usual stuff: listening to French tv or radio, watching DVDs whilst selecting French option (look on reverse of your current DVDs, lots will have French alternative audio or subtitles), reading French content online.
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mayhem™)
Any tips on how I can expand my vocabulary and fluency of a language?
The language in question is French(at GCSE level), and I have reading and listening exams tomorrow(Higher Tier, exam board: WJEC). I want to get in the state of feeling confident about speaking it so that I am mentally and academically prepared for the tests.

Thanks in advance.
I wish I had your motivation lol.

Here's a list of the Wjec French vocab
http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/5208.pdf

Do you have speaking exams/writing in french? Wjec is quite a good exam board for languages.
Mayhem™
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
I wish I had your motivation lol.

Here's a list of the Wjec French vocab
http://www.wjec.co.uk/uploads/publications/5208.pdf

Do you have speaking exams/writing in french? Wjec is quite a good exam board for languages.
Yes, I've only had one so far(Topic of holidays, 19/20 marks, A*), I find them easier though, you know what to prepare for. Whereas for reading and listening, I have no idea what to expect in the exams.

Oh, and thanks for the link
gapyear2018
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mayhem™)
Yes, I've only had one so far(Topic of holidays, 19/20 marks, A*), I find them easier though, you know what to prepare for. Whereas for reading and listening, I have no idea what to expect in the exams.

Oh, and thanks for the link
I'v had two-one on holidays and one of towns. Yeah they are. For reading and listening just get used to how words are pronounced and brush up your vocab by buying a revision guide and looking at that list. There's this website howtopronounce.com that you might find useful. Reading is just learning the vocab tbh and look for key words especially verbs.
Mayhem™
Rep:
?
(Original post by ScienceFantatic)
I'v had two-one on holidays and one of towns. Yeah they are. For reading and listening just get used to how words are pronounced and brush up your vocab by buying a revision guide and looking at that list. There's this website howtopronounce.com that you might find useful. Reading is just learning the vocab tbh and look for key words especially verbs.
Understood Sir.
luciie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.memrise.com/course/129985...cabulary-wjec/
Mayhem™
Rep:
?
This is very good, I'm hooked on it now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (287)
55.73%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.27%

Watched Threads