The Student Room Group

Banker wardrobe: where to get a Gordon Gekko style shirt?

A bit of a random question but not sure where to post this: I'm starting my job in investment banking soon and I want to get a Gordon Gekko style shirt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Gekko#/media/File:Gordon_Gekko.jpg

So basically a blue shirt with a white collar. I've been looking around the major department stores/suit stores and have had difficulty in locating a place where I can get one (or at least one that fits me- slim fit but with a large collar).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snakesnake
A bit of a random question but not sure where to post this: I'm starting my job in investment banking soon and I want to get a Gordon Gekko style shirt:

So basically a blue shirt with a white collar. I've been looking around the major department stores/suit stores and have had difficulty in locating a place where I can get one (or at least one that fits me- slim fit but with a large collar).

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=blue+shirt+white+collar+mens
Primark Cederwood range.

guaranteed to get teh MD in tech coverage feeling like he has 0 swag compared 2 u.

You will look like a douche if you actually pull this off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
You will look like a douche if you actually pull this off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's for me to worry about. Now does anyone have any real input as to where I can get this?
That wasn't even fashionable in the 80s.
Reply 6
That's for me to worry about. Now does anyone have any real input as to where I can get this?

You can get a two tone shirt from any good shirt retailer - MOSS, TM Lewin, Savile Row etc, though they will be harder to find than a standard plain shirt as they're less popular. There are a lot of shirt stores around Jermyn street in London.

Though tbh most people in banking wear a white shirt every day, or failing that light blue or light pink. Wearing a two tone shirt is not a big deal, ofc as long as you dont act like a pompous ass**** when doing so.

Would also advise you dont have more than 1 two tone shirt though, and if you do, get a blue one (pink two tone makes you look like a circus tent).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Texas.
You can get a two tone shirt from any good shirt retailer - MOSS, TM Lewin, Savile Row etc, though they will be harder to find than a standard plain shirt.

Though tbh most people in banking wear a white shirt every day, or failing that light blue or light pink. Wearing a two tone shirt is not a big deal, ofc as long as you dont act like a pompous ass**** when doing so.

Would also advise you dont have more than 1 two tone shirt though, and if you do, get a blue one (pink two tone makes you look like a circus tent).

I loled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a blue and white striped shirt, with white collar and (white) double cuffs, it's also fitted
Reply 9
Original post by Texas.
You can get a two tone shirt from any good shirt retailer - MOSS, TM Lewin, Savile Row etc, though they will be harder to find than a standard plain shirt as they're less popular. There are a lot of shirt stores around Jermyn street in London.

Yeah the blue one is what I'd get. Pink I don't think look as good (and lols on the analogy!)

Saville Row Co has some nice ones:
http://savilerowco.com/navy-white-poplin-classic-fit-shirt-854naw
http://savilerowco.com/blue-white-poplin-stripe-slim-fit-shirt-749blw

Problem is they don't have my size: I want slim fit (or it's too pillow'y around the waist) but they don't stock the collar size I need. (I've got a very athletic build so have difficulty finding fitting clothes).
Charles Tyrwitt
Reply 11

Just get a crisp white fitted shirt x10 - it sounds like you are trying to make yourself look like an idiot.
Make sure you're wearing a Hermes tie and Ferragamo loafers to complete the look.
Reply 13
depending on the bank the reaction to a Gg collar will be anything from a few stares to being told to go home and change. If you want to wear that **** get a job at ICAP

Go to Thomas Pink / Emma Wills and get a bunch of light blue shirts.
To pull off the 'Gekko' style shirt without looking like a fool on the trade floor you need to choose more of a baby blue shirt so the contrast isn't so sharp.

I recommend this shirt from Thomas Pink which I own myself:

http://www.thomaspink.com/Winchester-Plain-Slim-Fit-Double-Cuff-Shirt/Slim-Fit-Shirts/thomas-pink/fcp-product/99930093#filters=CUFF!double
When buying shirts for banking avoid budget shirt makers such as Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin. Don't buy shirts with front pockets on. Stick to different shades of pink and blue (don't go too dark on the blue, you will look like you work in IT support). In terms of patterns stick to stripes but nothing too loud and keep your shirt collars semi-cutaway or cutaway.
Reply 15
Original post by Patrick-Bateman
To pull off the 'Gekko' style shirt without looking like a fool on the trade floor you need to choose more of a baby blue shirt so the contrast isn't so sharp.

I recommend this shirt from Thomas Pink which I own myself:

http://www.thomaspink.com/Winchester-Plain-Slim-Fit-Double-Cuff-Shirt/Slim-Fit-Shirts/thomas-pink/fcp-product/99930093#filters=CUFF!double
When buying shirts for banking avoid budget shirt makers such as Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin. Don't buy shirts with front pockets on. Stick to different shades of pink and blue (don't go too dark on the blue, you will look like you work in IT support). In terms of patterns stick to stripes but nothing too loud and keep your shirt collars semi-cutaway or cutaway.

What's wrong with CT/ TM? I think you'll find the former pretty common at the analyst level - nothing wrong with them at all.
Original post by SJU1
What's wrong with CT/ TM? I think you'll find the former pretty common at the analyst level - nothing wrong with them at all.

CT is acceptable at analyst level, however I would completely avoid TM Lewin. Have you ever owned a shirt from TM? Abysmal quality in every aspect: look, durability and feel. If your financial situation allows go for Thomas Pink, it strikes a good balance between cheaper brands such as CT and top shirt makers such as Emma Willis. Most shirts from pink go for about £90 and will feel, look and last longer than a shirt from TM or CT.
Reply 17
Original post by Patrick-Bateman
CT is acceptable at analyst level, however I would completely avoid TM Lewin. Have you ever owned a shirt from TM? Abysmal quality in every aspect: look, durability and feel. If your financial situation allows go for Thomas Pink, it strikes a good balance between cheaper brands such as CT and top shirt makers such as Emma Willis. Most shirts from pink go for about £90 and will feel, look and last longer than a shirt from TM or CT.

It really isn't that bad, I've owned shirts from TM Lewin in the past and they can be completely fine, there is hardly a world of difference between the two, though I now stick with CT. Wearing CT/TM is normal, I would rather be seen in any of my 4 white shirts for £100 at a bank than that blue contrast you sent in the above message from Thomas Pink.

You're doing your AS Levels, I really don't think you need to be spending more than £40 on a shirt, let alone £90...
Original post by SJU1
It really isn't that bad, I've owned shirts from TM Lewin in the past and they can be completely fine, there is hardly a world of difference between the two, though I now stick with CT. Wearing CT/TM is normal, I would rather be seen in any of my 4 white shirts for £100 at a bank than that blue contrast you sent in the above message from Thomas Pink.

You're doing your AS Levels, I really don't think you need to be spending more than £40 on a shirt, let alone £90...

Whatever man, this thread is a discussion about shirts, not discussing whether or not we ought to be wearing them. Just trying to give my honest opinion based on what I've heard and my first hand experience as I have tried Pink, TM and CT. Note the user who started this thread is looking for a Gekko style shirt which CT do not do and TM do poorly in comparison to Pink's version. That is the point of this thread after all.
Geko is a rapper fam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending