The Student Room Group

C2 - Definite Integration

Hi, our class were taught integration last week.

I'm really confused about negative area, particularly this question. This may be my arithmetic, but I'm not sure why I got "negative" area for the curve of 4 - x^2 and positive area for (1/2)4 - x^2.

Attached is the question (16) and my working.

Can someone guide me through:

1. This question and any mistakes I made.

2. The concept of negative area, as all I know is that it is because it is under the x-axis, but without any proof as to why it is "negative" area.

Kind regards,

Kevin
Original post by TheKevinFang
Hi, our class were taught integration last week.

I'm really confused about negative area, particularly this question. This may be my arithmetic, but I'm not sure why I got "negative" area for the curve of 4 - x^2 and positive area for (1/2)4 - x^2.

Attached is the question (16) and my working.

Can someone guide me through:

1. This question and any mistakes I made.

2. The concept of negative area, as all I know is that it is because it is under the x-axis, but without any proof as to why it is "negative" area.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Your limits are wrong; the limits should be the range of x-values not the range of y-values.

The sign of the area makes a difference sometimes when the integral is in some context but for a simple area problem such as this I would not overthink it too much; a negative area is one below the x-axis.
Original post by 16Characters....
Your limits are wrong; the limits should be the range of x-values not the range of y-values.

The sign of the area makes a difference sometimes when the integral is in some context but for a simple area problem such as this I would not overthink it too much; a negative area is one below the x-axis.

Ahh how stupid of me, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending