cjlol
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there,

I'm studying a degree in Geology and really enjoy it. I'm always a massive worrier and part of me is worrying that geology has become a sector that's hard to become employed in now, especially inside the UK?

I've found it hard to find sufficient evidence for or against this and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or anywhere I can find evidence on how well geologists acquire jobs in their field?
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cjlol)
Hi there,

I'm studying a degree in Geology and really enjoy it. I'm always a massive worrier and part of me is worrying that geology has become a sector that's hard to become employed in now, especially inside the UK?

I've found it hard to find sufficient evidence for or against this and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or anywhere I can find evidence on how well geologists acquire jobs in their field?
I don't know much about Geology, but I found this for you. Read this and hopefully it'll make you feel better about your degree. From reading this it certainly seems useful to me with lots of job opportunities. Work hard and you'll get plenty of options with regards to jobs

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...0120727AAckXnt
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cjlol)
Hi there,

I can't speak specificially for the geology sector, but I can say that work experience whilst at uni is crucial.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cjlol)
Your course should have statistics/data on where its graduates have gone on to be employed. Ask to see their DLHE data. other unis will have the same for their geology courses so you should be able to pick up patterns of who is working in the sector, leaving the sector, who they key employers are etc
KTS89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cjlol)
Hi there,

Unfortunately the sector that employs the highest percentage of geologist graduates (Oil & Gas) is going through a huge recession so that is a setback at the moment. However, there is always mining, soil mechanics, geophysics and environmental sciences (if your degree had environmental modules). If you were willing to specialize with an MSc let's say in, Ground/Water Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Geotechnical Engineering/Engineering Geology, Petroleum Geology/Engineering (although as mentioned not the best period for that) you would be in an even better position.
cjlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by KTS89)
Unfortunately the sector that employs the highest percentage of geologist graduates (Oil & Gas) is going through a huge recession so that is a setback at the moment. However, there is always mining, soil mechanics, geophysics and environmental sciences (if your degree had environmental modules). If you were willing to specialize with an MSc let's say in, Ground/Water Engineering, Soil Mechanics, Geotechnical Engineering/Engineering Geology, Petroleum Geology/Engineering (although as mentioned not the best period for that) you would be in an even better position.
Hi there, you seem to know a lot about this sort of area!

I've tried using Google to see about the environmental side of things with regards to decent work experience/internship at some point throughout my degree but found it difficult to find good information! I was wondering if you had any knowledge of this?

Thanks for the info!
cjlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by DylanJ42)
I don't know much about Geology, but I found this for you. Read this and hopefully it'll make you feel better about your degree. From reading this it certainly seems useful to me with lots of job opportunities. Work hard and you'll get plenty of options with regards to jobs

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...0120727AAckXnt
Thanks, I had a read at that there and it's settled my nerves a bit! I know geology is a decent degree to have, but I'm just a massive over-thinker unfortunately
DylanJ42
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cjlol)
Thanks, I had a read at that there and it's settled my nerves a bit! I know geology is a decent degree to have, but I'm just a massive over-thinker unfortunately
Don't stress about it, just concentrate on getting a good degree under your belt.

I'm glad it helped
KTS89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cjlol)
Hi there, you seem to know a lot about this sort of area!

I've tried using Google to see about the environmental side of things with regards to decent work experience/internship at some point throughout my degree but found it difficult to find good information! I was wondering if you had any knowledge of this?

Thanks for the info!
Well, I cannot give you any orientation about something specific since I am not from the UK. However, environmental sciences in general encompass a wide range of disciplines like oceanography, climatology, pollution, contaminated land, waste management, ecology, industrial/raw materials etc. As I said, depending on the content of your course you might have a deeper idea about some of the above and you could direct yourself toward that route.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (296)
55.95%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.05%

Watched Threads