Inquiry: Britain is no longer a Christian country and should stop acting as if it is

Watch
carlskep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ays-judge.html

A two-year commission, chaired by the former senior judge Baroness Butler-Sloss and involving leading religious leaders from all faiths, calls for public life in Britain to be systematically de-Christianised.

It says that the decline of churchgoing and the rise of Islam and other faiths mean a "new settlement" is needed for religion in the UK, giving more official influence to non-religious voices and those of non-Christian faiths."

The report, by the Commission on Religion and Belief in Public Life, claims that faith schools are "socially divisive" and says that the selection of children on the basis of their beliefs should be phased out."

The Church of England said the report was a "sad waste" and had "fallen captive to liberal rationalism". :cool:
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Leave it to the Church of England to demonise "humanism" and "rational liberalism". You'd think it was the mullahs of an Islamic state ranting here.

It's a good report.
PetitBourgeois
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't understand why people engage in speculating about what ought to be done on such a grand scale. England should neither be Christianised nor de-Christianised. It ought to be what each individual decides for himself/herself to be. If each of us individually decides to become a believer then England as a whole would be Christian. If not, not. But those grand plans are quite disturbing. Individual liberty of conscience will shape England as a whole, not collectivist grand plans.
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We don't need a report to tell us that Britain is de-Christianising, just look at data on those, particularly of a younger generation, identifying as atheists/agnostics. or look at the empty pews and churches resorting to medieval laws to force local home owners to pay for church repairs.

The report's recommendations did not go far enough. The Lords Spiritual should be consigned to the dustbin of history. Automatically giving positions of political power to people purely because they hold a religious office has no place in a modern democracy. The only other country that I believe does it is Iran.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetitBourgeois)
If each of us individually decides to become a believer then England as a whole would be Christian. If not, not.
I believe the comission's point is to highlight the reality that it's not.

But those grand plans are quite disturbing. Individual liberty of conscience will shape England as a whole, not collectivist grand plans.
It can't get more collectivist than branding an increasingly diverse and individualistic country by a particular religion. Admitting this and pointing out the diversity in (non-)beliefs is the polar opposite of a "collectivist grand plan".
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as the Head of State remains a Head of Church, as long as a church remains as the established church, UK will continue to be a christian country.

Whether the people believe in it is irrelevant. When Henry VIII turned England and Wales into anglican, most people were still catholic.
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by carlskep)
It says that the decline of churchgoing and the rise of Islam and other faiths mean a "new settlement" is needed for religion in the UK, giving more official influence to non-religious voices and those of non-Christian faiths."
If it has anything to do with influence on politics, no to the latter, Christianity isn't ideal but **** me it would get worse if we let certain other faiths have more power.
TheCitizenAct
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'The UK is no longer a Christian country'...they say, 18 days before the one event everyone in the country won't shut-up about...when everywhere you look, it's there. What's it called again?
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheCitizenAct)
'The UK is no longer a Christian country'...they say, 18 days before the one event everyone in the country won't shut-up about...when everywhere you look, it's there. What's it called again?
You can hardly call modern Christmas a religious event.

Posted from TSR Mobile
RadLightDistrict
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Britain currently has too close links between Church and State

The fairest solution would be to abolish state religion, but also give religions total freedom to choose who they marry, how they hire clergymen and which teachings they profess.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ascend)
I believe the comission's point is to highlight the reality that it's not.

It can't get more collectivist than branding an increasingly diverse and individualistic country by a particular religion. Admitting this and pointing out the diversity in (non-)beliefs is the polar opposite of a "collectivist grand plan".
How do you account for the 'diversity' that is religious conservatism? You know, gender segregated political events, 60% of the Muslim population refusing homosexual friends (Pew research), 137,000 women with mutilated genitalia, 10,000+ polygamous marriages (some, i.e. Channel 4, estimate 100,000+), Sharia courts sending wives back to their abusive husbands, Sharia patrols on the streets of London, boroughs which are anything but diverse but are, actually, homogeneous communities formed around a particular faith or culture and labelled 'diverse' and multicultural' by those with an incentive to shore up their own vote counts...

...how do you deal with this 'diversity'? Wait, social engineering, right? Maybe a little bit of behavioural modification? Wait, surely then we're making them more like us? Wait, surely that isn't diversity? Wait, surely this is just one big contradiction, from top to bottom?

Wait, what happens if THEY don't accept your political ideals? What happens if THEY don't want to live in a diverse society? Or does everyone think like you do? Only white people are precious about their culture, right? Only white people divide society in accordance of the arbitrary features of people's identity, right?

Then again, as long as you feel good about yourself - which, let's face it, is why you promote diversity, that and the votes - to hell with the wider ramifications for civil society, or individual liberty.
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
You can hardly call modern Christmas a religious event.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would you call it? A non-religious event?
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What would you call it? A non-religious event?
A commercially driven shopping extravaganza/recognised free time off work. It is a lot like how Easter has become about chocolate eggs rather than the resurrection of Jesus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheCitizenAct
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
A commercially driven shopping extravaganza/recognised free time off work. It is a lot like how Easter has become about chocolate eggs rather than the resurrection of Jesus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair play, but you can't call it a non-religious event either.

Everyone is aware of its meaning - except the most ignorant, or the young - and everyone (or the vast majority) still chooses to participate.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Everyone is aware of its meaning
I agree. Yule, the midwinter festival, was hijacked by the Christians in the Dark Ages in an attempt to foist silly Middle eastern superstitions on the pagans of northern Europe. Things have now moved full circle and irreligious materialism has return to the celebration. We can now, quite properly, celebrate family and the coming lengthening days without superstitious interference from Christians and other Abrahamic wowsers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.05%
I'm not sure (3)
2.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.56%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (59)
45.74%

Watched Threads