Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Depending on if I get my grades at A Level I will be starting at Southampton Uni in October studying Economics.

My parents asked me if I would want a laptop after my A Levels to use at uni and I said yes, and was wondering how many people have laptops/notebooks and also take them to lectures..as if people do take them to lectures I'd want a smaller one I could actually carry!

Also what would safety implications be? I mean obviously I'd keep my room locked and any computer out of sight as much as poss and I know you can get laptop lock type things too but I was wondering how much of an issue theft of them can be

Thankyou in advance for any help!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think students bring laptops into lectures. I think you should bring one anyway to type up stuff in your room or surf the net on your own laptop. Some universities offer latop schemes and you could purchase them cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    The attitude towards laptops in lectures in this country is pretty stupid. Anyway, I say screw 'em all. I used one on my CPE/ PgDL course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    I don't think students bring laptops into lectures. I think you should bring one anyway to type up stuff in your room or surf the net on your own laptop. Some universities offer latop schemes and you could purchase them cheaper.

laptop schemes as in get a 'good laptop' for a student discount - great!
    Laptop schemes as in wait whilst they go to back room and pull out a BIG laptop that a student gave as charity back in the 90's - Terrible!

Just do a 'buy now pay later' thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    The attitude towards laptops in lectures in this country is pretty stupid. Anyway, I say screw 'em all. I used one on my CPE/ PgDL course.
    What actually is the attitude towards laptops? I've never seen any details stated in university rules. I'm a very slow writer, so being able to use a laptop in lectures would be very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mg84)
    What actually is the attitude towards laptops? I've never seen any details stated in university rules. I'm a very slow writer, so being able to use a laptop in lectures would be very useful.

pfft......just leave a voice recorder and go take a nice walk.
    No seriously, just bring a voice recorder and set it to record and just use the lecture itself to concentrate on what the lecturer is saying so that at least you would have understood something from that lecture as opposed to scribled notes which you have trouble reading, then when u go back to your room, play it and then type it up neatly and save it on ur comp as 'lecture 101' etc. You'll get alot more done and understood that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swatfa)
    pfft......just leave a voice recorder and go take a nice walk.
    No seriously, just bring a voice recorder and set it to record and just use the lecture itself to concentrate on what the lecturer is saying so that at least you would have understood something from that lecture as opposed to scribled notes which you have trouble reading, then when u go back to your room, play it and then type it up neatly and save it on ur comp as 'lecture 101' etc. You'll get alot more done and understood that way
    Sounds like a reasonable idea. 40% of my course is Maths though, so learning that from a voice recording might be more difficult. Not that I'd be typing Maths notes in lectures anyway!

ReputationRep:
    make sure you have good insurance and back everything up so if it does go missing your notes don't go too.

ReputationRep:
    Apple offer student discount on their laptops. .

ReputationRep:
    stupid question - what is a notebook?! i got a Dell catalogue and it looked like a laptop to me!!

what spec is everyone going for, and before you buy, what do you need to check with your halls for internet connection?

ReputationRep:
    notebook is essentially a laptop - although they call them notebooks sometimes to imply they are light and easy to carry around.

Tbh I'm avoiding buying a laptop for uni, i think money is much better spent on a decent PC. When it comes to printing, I might find a friend who can share across the network - and note taking: well i prefer notes written by hand

ReputationRep:
    stupid question - what is a notebook?!
    Lol, i just read that thread thinking a notebook was actually a notebook, as in a paper book thingy. But now you mention it it's not what was meant is it.... i think it's one of those little palm thingies that you can write on isnt it? like a mini computer thing that fits in your hand?

on a slightly different note, i must say i prefer to write notes by hand on paper than type them up. i think i must be old fashioned in that respect. i find it easier to read things ive written and learn from notes when theyre hand written as opposed to typed - typed notes always kind of merge into a big illegible splodge and i cant deal with it. but i need to get a computer for uni i think as they seem necessary for writing essays (they prefer them typed i think dont they?) and for surfing the net.

does anyone know how cheaply you can get a decent computer for (laptops best i believe) from unis? my parents seem to have used their available money on my three siblings to get them computers for uni in the past couple of years and i think i may have to fend for myself. :rolleyes: tis the curse of being the youngest child i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    ive got a £1000 poor persons grant so im going to use a bit of that to get a laptop. i thought about getting a pc because you get more for your money, but if on the odd occation i decide to venture home and need to do some work and have that great bugger to carry... well, i thought id get a laptop!
    err regards to the theft. at trent university, someone repeatedly set off the fire alarms in the first few days of term and swiped all the laptops then. if you're careful and have insurance i suppose theres not a lot else you can do

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the comments

I will have a good read through the thread again and then try and blag money out of my parents anyway..I'm not wasting a parents "we're in a spending mood" chance..they're a once in a blue moon occurance

(Original post by Sophdoph)
    Thanks everyone for the comments

I will have a good read through the thread again and then try and blag money out of my parents anyway..I'm not wasting a parents "we're in a spending mood" chance..they're a once in a blue moon occurance
    In which case you would like a 2.0GHz processor, 2GB Corsair DDR RAM, quad 60GB 7200 HDD's, ATI M11 256MB Graphics etc....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae)
    at trent university, someone repeatedly set off the fire alarms in the first few days of term and swiped all the laptops then.
    that is SO *****y!!!

remember kids: lock your rooms!!!

ReputationRep:
    i have decided to get a laptop for uni in september... buit i've only ever had desktop pcs before and it seems so alien. am i basically looking at spending £1000, or could i get soomething decent for less/need to pay more? no way i am buying another pc as theres no space at home to put it in the holidays

also... what kind of place would you recommend buying a laptop from? i have always had PCs custom built by a really really reliable local firm who are just so damn helpful, but dont do laptops. i dont want to go to pc world as they have a bad reputation, particularly when it comes to aftersales. hmm... what to do. i was going to get myself a nice little apple ibook, but i cant be bothered with the compatibility issues taking files onto university PCs/home. its annoying cos i love working on macs - p/t design student.

also... anyone bought their laptop with a disabled student allowance? how much are theywilling to pay? i plan to apply for it through that, buit will have to buy it anyway whether i get the grant or not!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)
    i have decided to get a laptop for uni in september... buit i've only ever had desktop pcs before and it seems so alien. am i basically looking at spending £1000, or could i get soomething decent for less/need to pay more? no way i am buying another pc as theres no space at home to put it in the holidays

also... what kind of place would you recommend buying a laptop from? i have always had PCs custom built by a really really reliable local firm who are just so damn helpful, but dont do laptops. i dont want to go to pc world as they have a bad reputation, particularly when it comes to aftersales. hmm... what to do. i was going to get myself a nice little apple ibook, but i cant be bothered with the compatibility issues taking files onto university PCs/home. its annoying cos i love working on macs - p/t design student.

also... anyone bought their laptop with a disabled student allowance? how much are theywilling to pay? i plan to apply for it through that, buit will have to buy it anyway whether i get the grant or not!
    If aftersales is a priority then Dell are excellent, absolutely second to none, most solutions can be found via their website. I have a P2 Dell desktop and a P4 Inspiron 1100 notebook that I recieved for Christmas. My only niggle is its a little heavy, but at home it does the job and will will be absolutely invaluable when I go to uni.

My dad bought it as a business customer, so it was no doubt cheaper than the list price at www.dell.co.uk. By the looks of it, the 1100 has been replaced by the 1150, which is marginally faster. And it's only £629!

I know it sounds like an advert, but my experience with Dell has been great, with very little to fault them on.

Carl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    If aftersales is a priority then Dell are excellent, absolutely second to none, most solutions can be found via their website. I have a P2 Dell desktop and a P4 Inspiron 1100 notebook that I recieved for Christmas. My only niggle is its a little heavy, but at home it does the job and will will be absolutely invaluable when I go to uni.

My dad bought it as a business customer, so it was no doubt cheaper than the list price at www.dell.co.uk. By the looks of it, the 1100 has been replaced by the 1150, which is marginally faster. And it's only £629!

I know it sounds like an advert, but my experience with Dell has been great, with very little to fault them on.

Carl
    dont you have to pay extra for the aftersales? also, if it breaks down, you cant take it back to a shop...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fifi53)

I've had two Sonys now and nothing has ever gone wrong wtih them. My latest one is weighs only 1.25kg and is great to carry around everywhere. Only downside is that it has a small screen (10.4in) and a smaller keyboard, but you get used to it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.