Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Laptops/Notebooks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna look at getting a Evesham or Dell notebook, we have brought from both companies and had no trouble at all. The first PC we brought was a MESH and a disaster. Didn't work, took ages for an engineer to fix it, couldn't fix it, took 2 months to get a replacement and it crashed every start up pretty much!

Apparently intel centrino processers are the best to get as they're designed for notebooks so are quieter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophdoph)
    I'm gonna look at getting a Evesham or Dell notebook, we have brought from both companies and had no trouble at all. The first PC we brought was a MESH and a disaster. Didn't work, took ages for an engineer to fix it, couldn't fix it, took 2 months to get a replacement and it crashed every start up pretty much!

Apparently intel centrino processers are the best to get as they're designed for notebooks so are quieter.
    Centrino is a chipset, not a processor. :P

ReputationRep:
    I bought a Compaq Presario 3000 laptop when I was in the USA for $1100 or so (about £700 I think). It's pretty sweet: 2.4ghz P4, 512Mb RAM, 60gb hdd, 16" screen (BIG!! ideal for DVDs), and pretty much every connection port under the sun, including built in wireless internet.

ReputationRep:
    I've got myself a PDA for writing notes on, it's a HP Jornada 680... got it off ebay for £50. Has a good sized keyboard for typing on...has pocket word, excel, access and powerpoint. Even has a few cool games too.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a laptop off e-bay is good as you can get them cheaply with good specs.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... i was just looking at thsi thread and i thought, jeez, im gonna be screwed during lectures...! i write so slow and have the naffest of memeories too(!)

okay... someone here mentioned a voice recorder... Um, i may consider it.... Okay, what do they look like, how big? How much? and Where can buy them from? Cos honestly, in all my life, I have never come across one!! :confused:

Please help! cheers

~*Skye*~

ReputationRep:
    sony you're paying for the styling and brand. they are cool though, if you can afford it.

dell, reliable build, they have a lot of deals with universities.

apple, powerbooks are very sexy, also have deals with some unis.

toshiba ones are good value for money, good specs, and well built.

i'll forget mesh ones, they always have problems.

if u are going to the states, buy one there because a) there stuff is cheaper, because we get taxed like hell b) amazing exchange rate right now
    but obviously, if it breaks down..u'll have to make sure u have a global warranty.

i'd go for a centrino rather than the other processors, because the wireless is built in. overall, its lighter, and consumes less power. the fastest pentium mobile speed right now you can get is the new 755 2Ghz one - not sure if its appeared in any laptops yet - they're named like the BMWs, 735, 745, 755), but its pricey. 1.5/1.6Ghz ones are around 900-1100 pounds, depending on the other specs.

it appears intel's new 90nm dothan pentium-m chips are beginning to appar on the market but i'd wait maybe for the price to drop a little.

this is a good site:

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...torschoice.htm

have a read about the different processors and ascertain what you will need it for. no point spending too much on a laptop that is too powerful if all you're doing is word and surfing.

ReputationRep:
    Sonys are incredibly stylish.

You should see all the "oooooh, aaaaaahs" I get when using it in Starbucks. Hehe.

EDIT: If you're going to get a decent sized laptop (i.e. not a subnote) take a look at its graphics capabilities. You'll want something to play games. Heheheh.
    Eschew anything with a lame-ass GFFX5200/ ATI9000. Mobile 9700's where it's at, baby.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.