Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How was Edexcel PHY5 ? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Rustyk1)
    ok guys, im gonna clarify the weightings of the papers as i understand it:
    AS:
    Can't remember but not really relevant as we've already done this. 50% of the total a-level mark.

A2:
    PHY4 = 15%
    PHY5 = 15% (7.5% prac and 7.5% exam)
    PHY6 = 70%

So, for the whole A-level:
    AS = 50%
    PHY4 = 7.5%
    PHY5 = 7.5% (3.75% prac and 3.75% exam)
    PHY6 = 35%

I'm fairly sure this is correct but please correct me if i'm wrong!
    No I think the weightings for the whole A level are

phy 4: 15%
    phy 5: 15% (7.5% for practical and Fields & Forces each)
    phy 6: 20%

checked in syllabus

rosoe

ReputationRep:
    Using a coulombmeter is cheating!!!
    Look at the coulombmeter here

It consists of a voltmeter and a known capacitor. And it makes use of Q = CV
    to calculate the charge stored. It is just what the question was asking! So there is no point in using a coulombmeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    No I think the weightings for the whole A level are

phy 4: 15%
    phy 5: 15% (7.5% for practical and Fields & Forces each)
    phy 6: 20%

checked in syllabus

rosoe
    i checked,
    1: 15%
    2: 15%
    3(topic): 10%
    3(practical): 10%
    4: 15%
    5(paper): 7.5
    5(practical): 7.5%
    6: 20%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adelz)
    VERY easy in my opinion .. What did you guys get for the polarity & direction of the current ?
    I hated PSA5, it was seriously the most annoying exam ever, especially since there was only the radioactive decay from the star section.

ReputationRep:
    oh good then, so phys5 is over /90, phys 6 over /120 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by core9design)
    oh good then, so phys5 is over /90, phys 6 over /120 ?
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keisiuho)
    Using a coulombmeter is cheating!!!
    Look at the coulombmeter here

It consists of a voltmeter and a known capacitor. And it makes use of Q = CV
    to calculate the charge stored. It is just what the question was asking! So there is no point in using a coulombmeter.
    I did wonder how they worked!! i'm happy now! i felt like a **** for being all advanced and using a potential divider circuit with a variable resistor. maybe it was the right thing to do?! maybe not....

i checked,
    1: 15%
    2: 15%
    3(topic): 10%
    3(practical): 10%
    4: 15%
    5(paper): 7.5
    5(practical): 7.5%
    6: 20%
    uh yeah thats what I said for the A2

rosie

ReputationRep:
    OH...
    r u guys really sure that phys5 is over 90 and phys6 is over 120 ? .. can i have any picture sample as proof? from seniors/websites

And plus my physics teacher said the practical marks accounts for 1/3 of the total unit5 marks because usually ppl don't do well for practical..therefore a big proportion of marks from unit5 comes from the written paper, 2/3

ReputationRep:
    Taken from the specification on the edexcel website
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    lets not forget guys, the PHY5 exam is only 3.75% of your final a-level mark so it wouldnt even be that bad if you didnt turn up!!!
    7.5% actually.
    i just checked
    phy 5 unit test is 7.5%
    and the practical is the same

ReputationRep:
    you'd be surprised at how much difference 7.5% of UMS marks makes when you're a borderline grade...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathematician)
    7.5% actually.
    i just checked
    phy 5 unit test is 7.5%
    and the practical is the same
    WHAT A GREAT PAPER PHY 5 WAS.
    yer i said charging the capacitor, using a stop clock, and measure time for current to drop to 50% of its value. take repeats, then calculate charge, vary the voltage and plot a graph of v agst Q.

the induced current was greater because the magnet had a greater speed as it left the coil.
    all the maths on the last question were piss.
    oh one more thing, how can B stay the same as magnets are moved apart.
    so your telling me if u moved a magnet from one wall to another then square will still rotate with the same force.
    that question was common sense.
    less force cos B was reduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    you'd be surprised at how much difference 7.5% of UMS marks makes when you're a borderline grade...
    lol, yes yes i'm very very wrong...lets rub it in...

ReputationRep:
    lol, yes yes i'm very very wrong...lets rub it in...
    I never rub in people's wrongness, I was simply stating my opinion

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks bezza !

ReputationRep:
    well i think there were many ways to do that V proportional to Q question.

Hopefully its positive marking so they'll ignore all the crap i wrote and not take marks off me for being a dunce lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aRkie)
    Thats what i got aswell and struggled with for about 20 mins until I realised that u couldnt just use r as the radius, as this would be the radius of the earth. But that u had to use 60R if I remember right as this would then be the radius to the moon, which would give u 1020 m/s and therefore 1km/s
    hey thats wut i got!!! can sum1 plz tell me is that correct 1020m/s?. cuz in the beggining i kept gettin 0.103Km/s which obviously aint 1Km. and then every1 kept tellin me that i was wrong by a power of ten. and so i was pissed cuz thats four straight marks.
    thnx.
    ps i found unit 4 better than unit five
    oh yeh and the person who wanted to know the weightings of the physics modules shud check out www.edexcel.org.uk . i checked yesterday unit 5 plus the praactical is 15% of the whole physics Alevel.
    ps- i had thoughts about doin a physics degree. i mean if i cud ace physics then sure y not? i'd do a physics degree, unfortuantely that aint ma case. oh well. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ®eAl ©uTe Eye$)
    hey thats wut i got!!! can sum1 plz tell me is that correct 1020m/s?. cuz in the beggining i kept gettin 0.103Km/s which obviously aint 1Km. and then every1 kept tellin me that i was wrong by a power of ten. and so i was pissed cuz thats four straight marks.
    thnx.
    ps i found unit 4 better than unit five
    oh yeh and the person who wanted to know the weightings of the physics modules shud check out www.edexcel.org.uk . i checked yesterday unit 5 plus the praactical is 15% of the whole physics Alevel.
    ps- i had thoughts about doin a physics degree. i mean if i cud ace physics then sure y not? i'd do a physics degree, unfortuantely that aint ma case. oh well. :cool:
    yes, i am sure. it is 1020 m/s

ReputationRep:
    yes, i am sure. it is 1020 m/s
    Wel I got around that too.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.